• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E scottish highlanders in pathfinder world?????

spiderfate

First Post
my brother is working on learning the pathfinder rules and i wanted to play a a kilt wearing, face painted, claymore wielding highland barbarian. is their a celtic type lands in the pathfinder world?

Kvantum

First Post
There used to be. Sarkoris was the kinda-sorta Celtic-inspired country, but then the Worldwound happened, and things kinda went all Abyssal-demonic. A descendant of Sarkorian refuges, struggling to keep family and clan tradition alive might work for the character concept, though

BlackSeed_Vash

Explorer
Just ask your brother. Either he says they exist... or you now have the honor of becoming the FIRST. Take Leadership and make yourself the William Wallace of your people either way. :) Just try and skip the execution!

ggeilman

First Post
Don't you have to be a decendent to take that feat<G>?
Hey, I resemble that remark!
Just have him come up with the background and go with it. A Ranger probably would be a better class though. William was the best archer in Britian before he switched to the sword. He felt he was too deadly with it. He also married a maid named Marion, ran around with a Benedictine friar who was fond of the grape and skilled with a sword with his little brother John and his friend Edward Little. Sound familiar? Just tell him yes, you get to kill English. Or multi-class ranger/barbarian. I normally don't like mixing fighter type classed but here I would make an exception.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
The most likely classes for Highlanders? I'd suggest barbarian (superstition archetype), fighter (shield master or two handed archetypes) or ranger (skirmisher archetype) - of course that's just my way of thinking, others might suggest different ones. At one time I was looking to create an Iron Age Celts based setting and was planning to create a custom Celtic warrior archetype for it.

Instead of the silly blue goad paint (that's a myth), the more likely scenario are that Celtic warriors wore tattoos. There are several 3PP products that use tattoo based magic - that would be a good way to go with Celtic warrior magic.

Playing a Scottish highlander is more a theme that could be played with any class, just keep it in mind who this guy really is and it should fit your concept.

ggeilman

First Post
Yeah the Wallace of the movie and the one in real life bore little resemblence to each other. Reality was scarier! He would go into towns and pick fights with a dozen English guards and figured it a fair fight. Once they cornered him with 40 and left him for dead. Marion found his barely lifeless body and nursed him back to health. The true person known as Braveheart was Robert the Bruce who never betrayed him. Wallace was betrayed by one of his own men for money. Bruce was in London at the time. He was 6'7" tall and extremely strong. No one else could string his bow. He was a devout Christian so the gaod paint or tatoos would be a no no for him at least. Perhaps for many of the warriors though.

delericho

Legend
Of course, it's also worth noting that Pathfinder characters don't bear any resemblance to real people either. So, if you want your William Wallace clone to use blue facepaint, you should feel free. (And, equally, if you don't, that's good too.)

ggeilman

First Post
That is true, there is nothing wrong with playing the fictionalized version from the movie that most people know. In the mean time I need more coffee in my Wallace clan cup!

delericho

Legend
Actually, now that I stop a moment to think about it... William Wallace wasn't even remotely a highlander. He mostly operated in and around Falkirk, Stirling, Edinburgh, and what became Glasgow - none of which are particularly mountainous. I mean, when I drive home of an evening I can see mountains, but that's about it.

ggeilman

First Post
Wallace was from Elderslie in the west which would technically make him a lowlander, but it is close enough for him to have run off to hide in the highlands at any time. Yes the major battles were fought in the east, but he operated most of the time in the west while MacRae operated in the north.

Remove ads