• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Scouting the King Castle

Malicene

First Post
I'm preparing my next game, and I think my players will want to investigate into the King Castle, and try to find a way to King Bedroom !

except the usual guards (and wards) usually found, what would put to challenge Character ?

feel free to post almost anything.... :D

arwink

Clockwork Golem
Princesses :) In the best swashbuckling tradition, you could easily have a few bored princesses floating around the castle, ready to throw themselves at dashing intruders. Makes a nice change of pace from trap disarming and sword swinging, and may well frighten the PC's or get them into more trouble than they're already in for their sneaking and thivery. Of course, the King may well have paid a few dopplegangers, ogre magic, phasms or other shapeshifting mosters to impersonate his daughters acting this way - especially if he spreads a few subtle rumors about this happening to the world outside the castle walls. PC's come in, see a bored and jaded princess, ignore her as best they can, then get blindsided when they think they've got the "princess" under control.

Other thieves. Another team is breaking in, either racing the PC's to their goal or trying for something else. Both groups try to get the guards to capture the other, carrying a running fight from shadow to shadow as they progress deeper into the castle.

Faux King and Bedroom. Similar to princesses above, except the king has paid several shapeshifting creatures to impersonate him while he sleeps. Slaves will serve the same purpose, but are generally sword fodder rather than an active defence.

Half-dragon carrior crawlers. Hell of a lot more effective than watch dogs, and they give you the option of paralysing intruders or letting them get eaten.

Gilladian

Adventurer
Servants. Innocent people who would give them away if they could, but whom the party would feel guilty killing (and killing them could lead to nasty repercussions as well).

If the king is evil, then traps (possibly in fake, otherwise unused rooms or halls) to kill intruders, if not evil, then capture traps (even if he's evil, he might want to question his enemies).

Of course, golems or other automatons could be part of the defenses; it is easy to give all authorized folks some insignia or password to get by them.

Live guards; they may be bribable, but are less likely to be fooled by imposters than the automatons would be.

The king's mistress, wife, personal servants, etc...

Greedy/clever nobles or other court members who find the party and wish to hire/bribe/blackmail them into doing some deed they didn't originally intend. Imagine sneaking in to the castle intending to spy on the king, and getting recruited to kill him or his chief advisor or high wizard or someone in the process.

That's all I can think of now.

Gilladian

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
arwink said:
Princesses :) In the best swashbuckling tradition, you could easily have a few bored princesses floating around the castle, ready to throw themselves at dashing intruders.
Love this idea - am going to have to yoink it!

Anyway to add:

Killer Plants - Assasin Vines might be used to protect the royal chamber

Ghosts - every castle needs a resident haunting

A Gray Render that has bonded with the King

Dogs, Twoheaded dogs, Blink dogs, Worgs, Krenshar etc

and extending on Traps - a pit trap that contains a nasty suprise, perhaps a Rancor even! (or the above mentioned Gray Render)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads