• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Scroll spells inscibed per day

Tyrrell

First Post
A character can only make one magic item per day (DMG 242). Randomly generated scrolls contain multiple spells on them. If a character wants to write several spells onto a scroll with the total cost for all of the spells being less than 1000gp, does each spell count as a separate magic item?

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
This has come up before. IIRC, if you go strictly by the book, each spell takes a minimum of 1 day. But allowing up to 1000 gp of spells in one day is a fairly common house rule.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
One notes that the treasure tables in the DMG cater for scrolls with up to six spells on them.

It's not written that there's any limit to how many spells can be placed on a single scroll, but it would certainly be reasonable for a DM to impose a limit of six or seven.

The other thing to bear in mind is that a scroll with 40 first level spells on it would be terrible when it came to finding the correct spell! Can you imagine rolling your way through six feet of parchment on those little scroll-sticks trying to find your copy of Color Spray as the orcs bear down on you?

-Hyp.

Li Shenron

Legend
Hypersmurf said:
The other thing to bear in mind is that a scroll with 40 first level spells on it would be terrible when it came to finding the correct spell! Can you imagine rolling your way through six feet of parchment on those little scroll-sticks trying to find your copy of Color Spray as the orcs bear down on you?

Do you allow scribing different spells into the same scroll? I have always been wondering if this is somewhere in the corebooks. Actually there is very little clear about multi-scribing IMHO, the only thing I remember given granted is that it's possible, since the table in the DMG, at least up to 6 per scroll.

But nowhere I remember in the corebooks to have read more than this.

BTW, per the rules I think it will be still 1 whole magic item, therefore it would take 1 day if total cost is up to 1000gp, or otherwise 1day/1000gp.

PS Being scared of having to answer all these questions from my players, or of having players suggesting to make a 100-different-spells scroll, with all implied necessary house rules to handle such a thing, I have always been carefully hiding that tiny evil table from them :rolleyes:

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I'm fairly certain (IDNHMBWM) that you are required to prepare and expend the spell for any scroll you wish to scribe. Thus, you can't scribe 40 first level spells in a day until such time as you can prepare 40 first level spells in a day.

My house rule is that, in one day, you may prepare scrolls of:

1 spell whose market value is less than or equal to 1,000 GP.

OR

A number of spell levels equal to or less than your spellcasting stat bonus.

This means that at low levels casterswith the scribe scroll feat can usually prepare multiple 1st or 2nd level scrolls in a single day. By mid levels, it is less of an advantage.

Note that I also allow preparing multiple doses of a potion in a similar manner.

Tyrrell

First Post
I'm fairly certain (IDNHMBWM) that you are required to prepare and expend the spell for any scroll you wish to scribe. Thus, you can't scribe 40 first level spells in a day until such time as you can prepare 40 first level spells in a day.

Multiple people can help to cooperateto create a magic item. so it becomes possible when your two sorcerer friends and you all fill up all of your higher level slots with level one spells.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads