• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sculpt spell and grease

ScionJustice

First Post
So what has happened when sculpt spell is applied to the grease spell? If you make 4 10 foot cubes or a ball with a 20 foot radius, you are going to have a huge three dimensional pile of grease, I would imagine that it would just splatter all over the place for the duration of the spell, but how much grease are we saying there is? How far will it splatter? Since it would still be a lot thicker, what will the modifier be to the saving throw?

Are there any other really cool spells to sculpt?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It might work, but I'm not sure if its area is big enough to qualify for the feat. How does it read again?

Most people use Sculpt Spell to shape direct damage attack spells...at least in part because they're most likely to have an AoE that works with the feat.

Personally, I like it with Whirling Blade, though that spell has an AoE that is, AFAIK, unique to the game. Because of that, not all DMs will let that combo work.

But look around you- you may find some other nifty uses.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
You can use Sculpt Spell on Grease, it's a great way to drastically expand the AoE. As for a ball or other 3D area volume of grease, I imagine the grease would coat every surface in the volume at the time of casting (still blocked by line of effect depending on where the burst originates from, maybe) and would not fill up the entirety of the space otherwise.

I once used Sculpt Spell on Anti-magic Field, to make a cone of "you lose" for the Fighter to then beat up on the poor soul trapped inside. Required a bit of DM leeway in leeting me take readied actions to follow the victim with it, like a watch light on a prison escapee. Still ended up not panning out so well when we realized it was still limited to its 10 ft range. The 60 ft cone or whatever sculp allows doesn't extend past the spell's range....So close to a nice combo. :) If it did work flawlessly, the DM was going to ban it anyway, but that would've felt like an honor. (I didn't want something so broken to actually work, either)

risner

First Post
So what has happened when sculpt spell is applied to the grease spell? If you make 4 10 foot cubes or a ball with a 20 foot radius, you are going to have a huge three dimensional pile of grease, I would imagine that it would just splatter all over the place for the duration of the spell, but how much grease are we saying there is? How far will it splatter? Since it would still be a lot thicker, what will the modifier be to the saving throw?

Are there any other really cool spells to sculpt?

You end up with 4x 10 foot cubes or a ball.
Work it as if the spell had those ranges normally, so no difference in how it works mechanically.

ScionJustice

First Post
You end up with 4x 10 foot cubes or a ball.
Work it as if the spell had those ranges normally, so no difference in how it works mechanically.

Not exactly, grease is not strong enough to hold itself 10' so the cubes should collapse to some degree, and it will still be a ton thinker than original spell so the balance should have a negative modifier if it isn't going to be an automatic fall.

A player in my campaign uses Sculpted Grease spells all the time. I just rule that it affects 4 x 10ft squares, instead of just 1 10ft square. He's happy with that and I still think it is a pretty good second level spell that way (it's still effective now that he's 8th level).

No need to worry about 10ft cubes of grease. That's just a bit silly in my opinion.

Olaf the Stout

ScionJustice

First Post
A player in my campaign uses Sculpted Grease spells all the time. I just rule that it affects 4 x 10ft squares, instead of just 1 10ft square. He's happy with that and I still think it is a pretty good second level spell that way (it's still effective now that he's 8th level).

No need to worry about 10ft cubes of grease. That's just a bit silly in my opinion.

Olaf the Stout

But the cubes would be so much more fun.

Remove ads