• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Scythe Wielder - Feats

Black_Dog

First Post
I just have to point out that weapon threat range increases in the upcoming 3.5 rules will no longer stack, ie Keen enhancment and Improved Critical no longer result in a Scythe having a threat range of 18-20.
I must admit I have played a Cleric/Fighter/War Priest of quite high level who had a Scythe and very effective it was too. Flaming Burst or another such enhancement results in a Critical hit giving an extra 3d10 points of damage!
The feats he had to deal with his Scythe? Well remembering that he was also a cleric I think all he had was Improved Critical!

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
With Weapon Master you can still get the threat range down to 17-20. With the new power attack you can take a -5 to attack and get +40 to damage on a critical. A +1 scythe with flaming burst, shocking burst, acidic burst and icy burt (total enhancement of +9) wield by a weapon matser with 26 str and who uses full power attack will do 8d4 + 92 + 3d10 fire + 3d10 acid + 3d10 cold + 3d10 electricity (112 to 244) on a critical strike. A simple +5 scythe would do 116 to 140 on a critical (normal damage 29 to 35) . If the weapon is adamantine then it will still bypass most DR. Aginst high AC foes 17-20 can encompass a large perecnt of your hits.

Mike Sullivan

First Post
Black_Dog said:
I just have to point out that weapon threat range increases in the upcoming 3.5 rules will no longer stack, ie Keen enhancment and Improved Critical no longer result in a Scythe having a threat range of 18-20.
I must admit I have played a Cleric/Fighter/War Priest of quite high level who had a Scythe and very effective it was too.

Not as effective as wielding a greatsword, unless your damage bonus was 13 or higher. And if it was that high, fractional hit points per round more effective than a greatsword.

Flaming Burst or another such enhancement results in a Critical hit giving an extra 3d10 points of damage!

...read, "Flaming Burst or another such enhancement results in a lot of wasted money."

wolff96

First Post
I'm curious...

The only time I've ever even considered an Elemental Burst weapon is on a high critical weapon -- such as a Scimitar. Using such a weapon nets a lot of extra d10's of damage, 1d10 at a time.

However, a scythe master (especially if using the crit ability increase of the Weapon Master class) will do a much higher number of dice of damage with a x4 weapon... 3d10 normally, or 4d10 with the increased critical multiplier.

Can anyone tell me, using the math that permeates this thread and is over my head (I never did like statistics... :)) which (if either) is actually worthwhile?

Mike Sullivan

First Post
wolff96 said:
I'm curious...

The only time I've ever even considered an Elemental Burst weapon is on a high critical weapon -- such as a Scimitar. Using such a weapon nets a lot of extra d10's of damage, 1d10 at a time.

However, a scythe master (especially if using the crit ability increase of the Weapon Master class) will do a much higher number of dice of damage with a x4 weapon... 3d10 normally, or 4d10 with the increased critical multiplier.

Can anyone tell me, using the math that permeates this thread and is over my head (I never did like statistics... :)) which (if either) is actually worthwhile?

Neither is actually worthwhile.

They're mathematically nearly identical -- The pick/scythe gets 3d10 exactly 1/3rd as often as the rapier/falchion gets 1d10 (assuming all else is equal), and neither of them are as good as getting just the normal flaming property and an additional +1.

Examples:

+1 Keen, Flaming Burst Scimitar wielded by 18 Str Fighter with Weapon Specialization and Imp. Crit:

Normal Damage:
1d6 + 7 + 1d6 (flame) = 14 on average

Critical Damage:
2d6 + 14 + 1d6 + 1d10 = 30 on average

Percentage of hits which are criticals: 45% (this is under 3.0 rules, in which keen and imp. crit stack)

So, total expected damage per hit:
.65 * 14 + .45 * 30 = 22.6

+1 Keen, Flaming Burst Heavy Pick wielded by 18 Str Fighter with Weapon Spec. and Imp. Crit:

Normal Damage:

1d6 + 7 + 1d6 = 14 on average

Critical damage:

4d6 + 28 + 1d6 + 3d10 = 62 on average

Percentage of hits which are criticals: 15%

Total expected damage per hit:
.85 * 14 + .15 * 62 = 21.2

Compare to:

+2 Keen, Flaming Heavy Pick

Normal Damage:

1d6 + 8 + 1d6 = 15 on average

Critical damage:

4d6 + 32 + 1d6 = 49.5 on average

Same percentages

Total expected damage per hit:
15 * .85 + 49.5 * .15 = 20.175

...But don't forget the additional +1 to hit! Assuming that you hit on a 3+ for the +1 weapon and a 2+ for the burst weapon, then your actual expectations are:

.9 * 21.2 = 19.08 (burst weapon)
.95 * 20.175 = 19.16625 (+2 weapon)

And that's the best-case scenario for the flaming burst weapon -- if you're going from, say, needing a 10+ to hit to needing an 11+ to hit, then your expectations are:

.5 * 21.2 = 10.6 (burst weapon)
.55 * 20.175 = 11.09625 (+2 weapon)

In other words, Don't Get Burst Weapons. They suck.

Darklone

Mike Sullivan said:
Neither is actually worthwhile.

They're mathematically nearly identical -- The pick/scythe gets 3d10 exactly 1/3rd as often as the rapier/falchion gets 1d10 (assuming all else is equal), and neither of them are as good as getting just the normal flaming property and an additional +1.

Mathematically they are mostly identical... but you have to consider that a weapon with a higher crit range (e.g. scimitar) is better against low AC monsters with few hitpoints (you don't need that supercrit damage to drop them) while a scythe is better against a monster that you only hit with an 19+ ...

Mike, or anyone else... did I get that right, flaming burst weapons only do extra damage on a crit? No extra d6 fire damage on normal hits?

Not that I used these silly +1d6 damage things at all... :D

Mike Sullivan

First Post
Darklone said:
Mike, or anyone else... did I get that right, flaming burst weapons only do extra damage on a crit? No extra d6 fire damage on normal hits?

No, Flaming Burst (specifically -- some of the other "burst-like effects" work a little differently) does 1d6 fire damage on a normal hit, 1d6 + 1d10 damage on a x2 crit, 1d6 + 2d10 on a x3 crit, and 1d6 + 3d10 on a x4 crit. At least, that's how I interpret it. I think that there's an argument to be made for it doing a flat 1d10 (not 1d6 + 1d10) on a crit.

But it's worthless even with the more generous interpretation, so why not go with that?

Saepiroth

First Post
I say take a level or two of Monk, get Extra Stunning Attacks, Get Death Blow, get a Ki Focus scythe, and then play Grim Reaper.

Stun your target, than Coup de Grace your target.

Better get a black cowl into the mix, too. For style.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads