• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sea Warfare

Crothian

First Post
On top of the sea like boats and stuff is Mongoose's book, can't recall the name though (might be ships of blood). The best for overall ocean usefullness including adventures under the sea is FFG's Seafarer's Handbook

Aeolius

Adventurer
As far as d20 supplements are concerned, you might want to investigate:

"Seas of Blood" by Mongoose Publishing
"Seafarer's Handbook" by Fantasy Flight Games
"Broadsides!" by Living Imagination
"Hostile Climes: Depths of Despair" by Pinnacle Entertainment Group

Green Ronin also has "Skull & Bones" coming out, while Mystic Eye Games has also hinted that they are working on an undersea supplement.

Altin

First Post
Don't own any of the books but I did some research in the way of getting one (and decided I wouldn't get enough mileage for my money and improvised some house rules for my own use but that's neither here or there) and here are a few things I heard that may interest you:

Broadsides is reputed to be fairly 'true to life' in that it makes a point of producing roughly the same sort of outcomes you'd get on a real sailing ship. Also, it apparently has lots of historical data (what ships were around when and so on) which would perhaps be good if you track things like technological development of nations in your campaign.

Seas of Blood is meant to essentially give modified D&D stat blocks to ships (so they have a hit point mechanic, AC, size categories and things like that) which I guess would mean it incorporates well into the existing system but will probably therefore have the same 'flaws' that D&D combat does (ie. high abstraction and not a lot of concern for anything but a shallow veneer of reality).

Again, I don't own any of the books so all this is speculative and second-hand but it may still bear thinking about.

Yours,
Altin

Remove ads