Sean's Pick of the Day (110916): Infinite Dungeon

Louis Porter Jr. is arguably one of the hardest working folks in RPGs. The sheer volume of material coming out of LPJ Design is kind of mind-boggling, and he's definitely a Pathfinder powerhouse. Now you can get into his Infinite Dungeon, which he started up on his Patreon and is now offering up via DriveThruRPG.

Louis Porter Jr. is arguably one of the hardest working folks in RPGs. The sheer volume of material coming out of LPJ Design is kind of mind-boggling, and he's definitely a Pathfinder powerhouse. Now you can get into his Infinite Dungeon, which he started up on his Patreon and is now offering up via DriveThruRPG.

INFINITE DUNGEON: THE HALLS OF THE ETERNAL MOMENT

Built on the lip of the mountainous crater that surrounds the Halls of the Eternal Moment, Cusp caters almost exclusively to adventurers. Heroes, travellers and thrill-seekers alike come and go from the town all the time - and since Cusp is the last place to spend time, or coin, before one enters the Halls in the crater below, they do their best to extract as much of it from passers by as they can. Of course, as people do occasionally come back out of the dungeon, Cusp also offers adventurers a chance to sell their hard-won spoils to a wide variety of art collectors, historians and eccentric wizards who call the City at the Edge of Eternity.

In the simplest form, the Infinite Dungeon is a daily Patreon-sponsored megadungeon, that has dozens of explorable rooms and levels. The idea of the Infinite Dungeon was inspired by the online series, Dungeon-A-Day created by Monte Cook (co-designer of 3rd Edition D&D). It's usable, in whole or in part, in any campaign setting. Although it may appear to start out like a conventional dungeon, as you get deeper the full scope of the adventure, and the unique challenges presented, become more and more apparent. This first Infinite Dungeon is called the Halls of the Eternal Moment.

I highly encourage you take a look through the rather enormous library of stuff LPJ Design has up. There's some real creativity mixed with fine graphic design and other presentation, and you'll not want for content for quite some time.

Note that I use affiliate links in all my posts as a way to generate additional revenue for my efforts; I make my Picks and other article choices, however, based on the desire to share a wide variety of things with you. Thank you for your support. ~SPF

I don't get it.

The DTRPG product you link to has great artwork, a couple of NPC's and a couple of encounter ideas that have no maps and just reference other published sources. Fortunately its PWYW so I didn't invest more than it was worth.

The Patreon site lists 7 rooms he has detailed. And maybe two map levels. I really can't tell. But how is that a mega dungeon? So if I understand this, for $4/month I get ~30 rooms?

Sorry Sean, I just don't get it. Maybe if the preview actually showed how great the rooms were.

Desh-Rae-Halra

Explorer
My version of Infinite Dungeon is the old AD&D Dungeon Master's Guide, Appendix A: Random Dungeon Generation. I think it cost me $16 in 1979 when it came out and I'm still using it. Sure, every now and then you end up with a Purple Worm appearing in a 10"x10" closet, but that is just when you slam the door on it like George Jefferson did to Mr. Bentley. :)

Remove ads

Remove ads