Sean's Pick of the Day (112216): Shaintar - The Freelands

Yes, more Savage Worlds fantasy fun, but when it rains, it often pours, and I didn't want this one to get missed. Perhaps this will be a theme week... Anyway, this is one of the more interesting places in Shaintar (yes, the fantasy world that I created, just to be transparent about it), as it's the place where they defied the concept of nobility and began an experiment atypical of "medieval fantasy" worlds.

Yes, more Savage Worlds fantasy fun, but when it rains, it often pours, and I didn't want this one to get missed. Perhaps this will be a theme week... Anyway, this is one of the more interesting places in Shaintar (yes, the fantasy world that I created, just to be transparent about it), as it's the place where they defied the concept of nobility and began an experiment atypical of "medieval fantasy" worlds.

SHAINTAR GUIDEBOOK: THE FREELANDS

The Freelands! This is where Shaintar first began to be explored. The keep found within (Lone Keep) is where Sean Patrick Fannon placed his first gaming group to start having them explore his creation. The governing philosophy of the land is "Freedom"! It's as simple as that. The folks who live here have the same jobs you'll find elsewhere: farmer, smith, jeweler, farrier, glassmaker, tanner and so on but trade has been raised to an art form and the artisans and tradesfolk seem almost like family -- there's many families who adopt each other to create those bonds.

Its wilder and woolier here. People rule themselves and that's just the way they want it! The only group that is universally accepted are the Freelords of the Lone Keep, those sworn to protect the Laws of the lands. These men and women hold high, middle and low justice in every village town or so-called duchy found in the Freelands. Their only mandates: protect the Laws and the citizens of the area.

In this book, you'll find some great new information, an encounters chart and all kinds of background information about the Freelands, including the city of Lanthor which represents these lands to the rest of Shaintar. You'll also find some new edges, hindrances and perhaps some beasts and plants too.

Note that I use affiliate links in all my posts as a way to generate additional revenue for my efforts; I make my Picks and other article choices, however, based on the desire to share a wide variety of things with you. Thank you for your support.

Sean Patrick Fannon
Writer & Game Designer: Shaintar, Star Wars, Savage Rifts, much more
Please check out my Patreon and get involved directly with my next projects!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads