RPG Print News – Mongoose Publishing, Renegade Games Studios, and More

D&D 5E, Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG, Savage Battlelords, Traveller, Vampire, and Rokugan all have print products out this week.

Lots of fighting this week. D&D gets a book and decks of cards to create brutal combat encounters. Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG also gets brutal with death maze rules. Savage Battlelords is all about the sci fi merc life, Traveller gets an updated equipment book, and vampires take over Chicago. There is even a blood (dice) bag. Rounding things out and ratcheting down the combat vibes is an RPG made from card decks and the art of Rokugan.

Note: RPG Print News covers recent RPG releases and some classics, reprints, and sales available from retailers. It does not cover products that are only available directly to customers only through Kickstarter or as print on demand.

164 injuries.JPG
164 injuries PC cards.JPG
164 injuries spell cards.JPG

Injuries & Vile Deeds | Injuries & Vile Deeds – PC Injury Quick Reference Deck | Injuries & Vile Deeds - Spell Cards by Lone Colossus Games
  • SYSTEM: Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition
  • PRODUCT TYPE: hardcover supplement/90 mini-size cards/45 tarot-size card
  • RETAIL PRICE: $39.95/$14.95/$19.95
  • DESCRIPTION: Injuries & Vile Deeds provides rules for cinematic, tactical encounters. PC Injuries create narrative tension, making the party weigh the risks of pressing on or allowing their enemies to get a step ahead. Meanwhile, PCs can add mechanical effects to descriptive combat, inflicting Injuries and causing negative status effects. Also includes over 50 magic items, 40 spells, 40 monsters that use the injury systems, 20 NPCs including plot hooks, 20 feats, 12 new subclasses (one for each class), 10 backgrounds for villainous and ex-villainous characters, new Lair Magic: spells for enchanting a villain's lair, and character sheets stylized with a dark fantasy flair and including a page to track injuries and diseases. The PC Injury Quick Reference Deck contains five copies of each Injury that PCs can sustain, along with the Injury severity, Medicine DC, and number of rests required for recovery. The Lasting Effect gained after removal of the Injury is displayed on the other side. Spell Cards includes the 45 spells found in Injuries & Vile Deeds.
164 crawl.JPG

Crawl! #13 - Deathmatch by Straycouches Press
  • SYSTEM: Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG
  • PRODUCT TYPE: softcover zine
  • RETAIL PRICE: $4.99
  • DESCRIPTION: PCs find themselves trapped in some mad power’s twisted realm and must fight their way to a win. Includes: rules, tips, and how-to on running a DEATHMATCH: a deadly game to test the mind and body; introduction to a POINTCRAWL: modular and quick-reference style map; the DANGER DIE: a loaded encounter die to determine room states and other conditions; and random tables to help stock deathmatch dungeons. Finally, also has CRAWL DM1: Beyond the Doomed Gates, a POINTCRAWL adventure location where the DEATHMATCH will go down.
164 savage battlelords.JPG
164 savage battlelords carnage.JPG

Savage Battlelords Core Rules | Savage Battlelords Carnage Companion by 23rd Century Productions
  • SYSTEM: Savage Worlds
  • PRODUCT TYPE: hardcover rules/hardcover supplement
  • RETAIL PRICE: $50/$40
  • DESCRIPTION: PCs in the Savage Battlelords Core Rules play over-equipped, under-trained, corporate mercs; expendable resources facing a horde of techno-organic monstrosities called the Arachnids. PCs could instead work for the Galactic Armed Forces, be bounty-hunters, or join a Pest Elimination Teams (PETs) to deal with the genetically engineered monstrosities that the Anarchist Rebellion Movement (ARM) releases. Also has: 94 New Edges, 21 New Hindrances (many species specific), over 15 weapon systems (136 individual weapons), 32 suits of armor with over 90 armor options, 120 plus pieces of sci-fi equipment, three new powers, over 25 new Power-specific modifiers, and 36 generic power modifiers. The Savage Battlelords Carnage Companion includes: 50 ready-to-play archetype characters in four teams (Mercenary Team, Galactic Armed Forces Team, Pirate Crew, Corporate Spies), 72 New Edges, 17 Hindrances, 11 new weapon systems (53 new weapons total), 22 new suits of armor and over 60 new armor options, 31 vehicles including 11 suits of mecha-like ultra armor.
164 central supply.JPG

Central Supply Catalogue Update 2023 by Mongoose Publishing
  • SYSTEM: Traveller Second Edition Update 2022 (Mongoose)
  • PRODUCT TYPE: hardcover supplement updated 2023
  • RETAIL PRICE: $49.99
  • DESCRIPTION: Contains all the equipment PC Travellers will want, need, or wish they had as they explore the galaxy. New additions to the Central Supply Catalogue Update 2023 include more advanced computers, prototech, and rules to bring fabricators into a campaign, allowing PCs to make what they cannot buy. PCs can procure new gear on the black market and profit from guns, armor, and ammunition smuggled past starport security.
164 chicago by night.JPG

Chicago By Night by Renegade Games Studios
  • SYSTEM: Vampire: The Masquerade Fifth Edition
  • PRODUCT TYPE: hardcover supplement
  • RETAIL PRICE: $55
  • DESCRIPTION: Chicago is the city of vampires. PCs can claim a haven on the Gold Coast and carve a place of their own in the city while they subjugate a handful of the living on Michigan Avenue. Includes: a history of Chicago from multiple vampire perspectives, systems to run this city like a twisted dysfunctional machine, rules for playing Lasombra including their Discipline of Oblivion, over 50 individual Kindred detailed with reasons for inclusion in any given chronicle along with fiction, chronicle hooks, and a single large chronicle in which the Lasombra make it their mission to join the elite ranks of the Camarilla.
164 blood dice bag.JPG

Blood (Dice) Bag by Fantasy Flight Games
  • SYSTEM: RPGs with violence and/or healers
  • PRODUCT TYPE: dice bag 6.25" x 9" (15.9 cm x 22.9 cm).
  • RETAIL PRICE: $7.95
  • DESCRIPTION: This bag is large enough to carry bundles of dice. And it doubles as a blood bag. But for dice.
164 atma.JPG

Atma - Act II by Meramorph Games
  • SYSTEM: Atma
  • PRODUCT TYPE: core RPG rules in a deck of cards
  • RETAIL PRICE: $45
  • DESCRIPTION: Contains three stage decks and eight character decks which can be mixed and matched with any other Atma content. On a world near Earth, the volcanic mineral atma empowers the living and entwines the dying. Artificial intelligence and alien titans join humanity yet in the Restless Zones, beyond society and law, trouble lurks. The PCs test themselves against the world’s most dangerous frontiers. A complete roleplaying game system in a tiny package that plays in just 2 hours.
164 rokugan.JPG

Rokugan - The Art of Legend of the Five Rings by Aconyte Books
  • SYSTEM: Rokugan RPG
  • PRODUCT TYPE: hardcover artbook
  • RETAIL PRICE: $39.95
  • DESCRIPTION: Art depicting the land of Rokugan, its Imperial rulers, and the Great Clans who vie for their favor. The Emerald Empire is captured in an age of strife and upheaval – war, intrigue, natural calamities and celestial turmoil. Iconic pieces from the roleplaying and collectible card games are presented, taking viewers on a journey through this fantasy world.
Charlie Dunwoody participates in the OneBookShelf Affiliate Program and the Noble Knight Games’ Affiliate Program. These programs provide advertising fees by linking to DriveThruRPG and Noble Knight Games respectively.

Charles Dunwoody

Charles Dunwoody

Scottius

Adventurer
Sometimes these release dates seem wild to me. Chicago by Night for Vampire 5th Edition has been on my local store shelves for at least half a year now. I know because I picked up my copy then.

Sometimes these release dates seem wild to me. Chicago by Night for Vampire 5th Edition has been on my local store shelves for at least half a year now. I know because I picked up my copy then.
Release dates are an arcane study. Noble Knight usually lists just new releases most likely from the last few months. Miniature Market lists anything they just received as new and usually doesn't have a publish date at all. The same goes for many other online hobby stores. Anything on this list I try to confirm was at least published this year, but the exact release date isn't set in stone for many RPG products. A publication year is usually all I can find, if even that is available.

If I can catch something I know 100% is new and it is actually available (things sell out fast sometimes) I try to put those at the top of the list. But big releases with a set date are actually the exception, not the rule.

If anyone out there has a website they know about that lists actual published TTRPG release dates by month and year that is easy enough to use (Amazon fails this test) and is accurate please let me know. Otherwise, every few weeks we can cover this topic again if all of you insist. Thanks!

Remove ads

Remove ads