Sean's Picks of the Week (0404-0408) - Beasts, Joes, Hell on Earth and Beyond

Sorry for the delay getting this up today, folks. I am still recovering from something nasty that took me down hard on Tuesday and Wednesday (which, by the way, is why there is no Wednesday Pick for this week, as well). On top of all that, a certain something is coming to fruition, which as you might imagine, has me hopping at a high gear as well. I am feeling much better, but that means I am going double-time to catch up and then keep up, so as always, your kind patience and support are greatly appreciated. In the immortal words of Mr. Kasem, "and now, on with the countdown."

Sorry for the delay getting this up today, folks. I am still recovering from something nasty that took me down hard on Tuesday and Wednesday (which, by the way, is why there is no Wednesday Pick for this week, as well). On top of all that, a certain something is coming to fruition, which as you might imagine, has me hopping at a high gear as well. I am feeling much better, but that means I am going double-time to catch up and then keep up, so as always, your kind patience and support are greatly appreciated. In the immortal words of Mr. Kasem, "and now, on with the countdown."

Beast: the Primordial

Always something new to be in the World of Darkness. Usually something that keeps folks up at night…

Did your heart seize up in your chest a little when I said that? It should. Those horrors you’ve dreamed of all your life – the arms dragging you down into the ooze, the thing with fangs and too many legs waiting in the dark, the sleek, silent killer dropping on you from a clear sky – they’re real.

But don’t fret, little brother. You’ll never have to wake up in fear, ever again. The nightmares are real…and you’re one of them.

Now, let us feast.”

-Zmei

You are one of the Begotten, the living embodiment of a primal nightmare of humanity. Your soul, your Horror, is a monstrous creature – maybe something that humanity dreamed and wrote down and still speaks of in legends, or maybe some outlandish horror that no living person has ever seen.

You are a Beast, and you must feed. Your Hunger drives you, and your Hunger might damn you. Indulge too lightly and your Horror will take matters into its own hands, roaming the Primordial Dream for sustenance and awakening murderous hatred in spiritually weak individuals. Feed too deeply and too often, and you become sluggish, sacrificing the raw edge of Hunger for the languor of Satiety. You must decide how to grow your Legend – will you be the monster incarnate, the thing that all other monsters fear? Or are you doomed to die under a Hero’s sword?

This book contains:
  • The complete guide to playing a Beast in Chronicles of Darkness
  • A game system designed for crossover with the other Chronicles of Darkness lines
  • A look at the Beasts and their broods all around the world, from Vancouver to Tokyo
  • Rules for Heroes, the deluded individuals who think that this is their story

Transformers/G.I. Joe Comics

Stepping a bit left-of-field, today’s a day to point out some awesome stuff on DriveThruComics, sister site to DriveThruRPG.

In particular, you might want to check out the IDW page, as they’ve recently released a bunch of Transformers and G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero titles. There’s also a bunch of Dungeons & Dragons and Magic the Gathering titles.

The G.I. Joe books, in particular, call out to my personal inner child…

Codex Infernus

David Jarvis of Gun Metal Games went through a bit of hell (yes, pun intended) to get this book done and out to the world. I know first hand how much work and loving detail he’s put into this, and it’s a great source book for any Savage Worlds fan, or anyone wishing to incorporate matters of Hell and infernal evil into your campaign world.

A holy warrior fighting back infernal beasts on the precipice of a fiery pit. Cloaked figures chanting an incantation to bring forth a nameless beast. A man standing at a crossroads bartering with a demonic temptress for fame and fortune; the price of which is his very soul.

Advisers to kings and queens, dictators and presidents, whispering lies at the behest of their demon lords with the fate of nations resting on whether or not the advice is heeded. A scientist examining a strange artifact found on a distant planet that, unbeknownst to him, opens a mysterious gate to a nightmarish dimension when a button is pushed.

These are just a sampling of the myriad images which come to mind when we think of Hell. Codex Infernus: The Savage Guide to Hell, brings those images to life and shows you how to plug them into your games, regardless of what genre you love to play!

In this book you’ll find:

• Ready-to-play character archetypes for fantasy and modern games.
  • New Fantasy races
  • A new Demonic race: Cambion
  • New Edges and Arcane Backgrounds
  • Guidelines for creating Angelic, Demonic, and Hell-forged weapons
  • Guidelines for blessing items—even if you don’t have an Arcane Background!
  • An immersive Fantasy campaign setting
  • A detailed section on Hell itself
  • Guidelines for creating cults
  • A brief look at Hell in various cultures stemming back to ancient Mesopotamia!
  • Rules for demonic pacts, demonic possession, and an optional corruption system
  • Hellish hazards!
  • A gazetteer filled with demons you can use in your games!

Delta Green: Need to Know

My buddy, Shane Ivey, continues putting out powerful new material for one of the most respected game lines ever produced in the Cthulhu vein, Delta Green.

Now he’s provided new GMs and players an easy gateway to discover what so many already know – why Delta Green is such a powerful, and empowering, game to play.

WELCOME TO THE APOCALYPSE

Born of the U.S. government’s 1928 raid on the degenerate coastal town of Innsmouth, Massachusetts, the covert agency known as Delta Green spent four decades opposing the forces of darkness with honor, but without glory. Stripped of sanction after a disastrous 1969 operation in Cambodia, Delta Green’s leaders made a secret pact: to continue their work without authority, without support, and without fear. Delta Green agents slip through the system, manipulating the federal bureaucracy while pushing the darkness back for another day—but often at a shattering personal cost.

In Delta Green: The Role-Playing Game, you are one of those agents. You’re the one they call when unnatural horrors seep into the world. You fight to keep cosmic evil from claiming human lives and sanity. You conspire to cover it all up so no one else must see what you’ve seen—or learn the terrible truths you’ve discovered.

The quickstart rulebook of DELTA GREEN: NEED TO KNOW includes everything you need to play Delta Green.

• Complete rules for conducting investigations, overcoming crises, fighting for your life, and watching your sanity slip away.
  • Complete rules for character creation.
  • Six characters, ready to play.
  • A Delta Green operation, “Last Things Last,” ready for the Handler (the game moderator) to introduce your team to Delta Green tonight.
~~~~~

So there it is. A short week, yes, but four awesome Picks I hope you really enjoy. Sadly, no gaming this week for me, as I am working to recover, and to recover time lost from earlier this week. I am supposed to participate in a major part of the Colorado State political process tomorrow (some odd stuff about how we caucus here, and elect folks to county, then state conventions and assemblies), which I will attend if I am up to it.

This is late enough, so the afterword cuts off here for this week. Have a great weekend, and...

The Adventure Continues!

~SPF

Uder

First Post
Sean - are you still the marketing manager for DTRPG? I like these articles, but they have sort of become ads for DTRPG at this point.

While I am no longer with DriveThruRPG, I remain close to that team (and my Belovedest, Carinn Seabolt, does work in their customer service department).

I try to maintain transparency about this, but you may have missed one of my notes regarding it.

Sean's Pick of the Day began as part of my duties at DriveThruRPG, and I continue to maintain that link. To be completely clear and honest, it's worthwhile for me to do because I am able to use their Affiliate System to reap some financial reward for my efforts. This is why all the links are DriveThruRPG and related site products.

I do not feel this diminishes them in any way, as it's similar to someone posting book picks from Amazon on a regular basis (which, let's be honest, DTRPG is effectively the Amazon for the digital distribution of RPGs).

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads