• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Searching for a feat

Kisanji Arael

First Post
Now I saw this feat a whle ago, however after a brief battle with Google, find that I am unable to rediscover its location on the internet. However, knowing simply how many people reside in a typical forum, I thought that one of you might know something about it.
It went something like this

Prerequisites: Int 16, [maybe a spellcaster level or something?]

Benefit: When gaining a level, a wizard gains spells equal to thier Intelligence modifier.

Normal: A wizard gains two spells/level.

Now, with this kind of information, DMs would laugh at me at best. However, if someone could provide me with a URL or the feat's exact text I would be eternally grateful.

MerakSpielman

First Post
ARCANE UNDERSTANDING [General: Magical]
You increase the number of spells learned automatically with each new level.

Prerequisite​
: 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (Arcana), Int 3+
Benefit: After gaining this feat, you gain an additional spell each time you advance in levels. Thus, you get three free spells with each level advance instead of The normal two.
Normal: At each level, the wizard gains two spells of any level that can be added to his or her spellbook.
Special: This feat can be taken several times, and stacks with itself.

This is the version from the Netbook of feats. It allows a single extra spell per level.

However, Gryphon's Book of 3rd Edition feats (hard to come by these days, at least, I couldn't find an URL for you on Google. If you want I can email you a copy) lists the following version:
ARCANE UNDERSTANDING
Allows a wizard to increase the number of spells learned automatically at each new level.
Prerequisite: Int 16+, Arcane Spellcaster, Spellcraft 10 ranks, Knowledge Arcana 10 ranks.
Benefit: For each level gained, you can add a number of spells to your spellbook equal to your intelligence modifier.
Normal: At leach level, the wizard gains two spells that can be added to his or her spellbook.
Note the restrictions - you can't get this feat until you're at least 6th level. I had a player take this feat and it didn't seem unbalancing, mainly becuase no matter how many spells are in your book, you still only have a limited number of spell slots per day.

Last edited:

MerakSpielman said:
However, Gryphon's Book of 3rd Edition feats (hard to come by these days, at least, I couldn't find an URL for you on Google.)

Not to be to condescending, but it's not hard to see why. For starter's the book breaks many of the key rules for designing feats. In Arcane Understanding, the prereq should be Int 17+, not 16+. There are also a lot of feats with incomplete prereqs (such as Chink in the Armor, which requires Expertise, but not Int 13+). The book appears to not be edited in even a cursory fasion, as it's loaded with misspellings (the Defensive Manoeurving feat is my favorite) and horribly formed (and occassionally incomplete) sentences. And just to round things out, some of the feats are, well, too silly to use (not to mention badly balanced), such as the Distain Bow feat, which allows a character to use arrows without a bow.

MerakSpielman

First Post
Yeah, as an editor myself it irks me to see something so poorly written. However, with over 900 feats, I would expect some big errors, especially from a non-professional writer.

Back when I was in my "Feat Phase" I read through the whole damn thing, as well as the more common Netbook of Feats, and hand-picked exactly the feats I wanted in my campaign. I think it was something like 200 of them.

Remove ads