• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Searching for a GM screen...

boxstop7

First Post
A friend of mine has the most kick-arse GM screen I've ever seen. It's tri-fold, black, and has clear plastic pockets on either side of each panel such that you can insert a standard letter-sized sheet of paper into each pocket. He also said that he purchased it from a website he found in a post on the boards. Could anyone help me out with this? I'd love to get one, but I don't know where to look.

~Box

DDK

Banned
Banned
Real GM's...

Bah! Real GM's don't resort to store bought accessories!

Real GM's hack their old, worn out and replaced copies of the PHB and DMG and form the tables and pictures (especially in the old days when pictures covered entire PAGES!) into a complex array of data presented on two manila folders stucky-taped together and then contacted for Protection Against Coffee and Mountain Dew!

Bah! Keep yer fancy schmancy pocket folder black tri-glow whathewhosits! Real GM's don't need no steenkin' screens...

|Fourecks eagerly awaits 3.5 ed. so that he can tear apart his old edition books and make an all new, out of date, GM screen!|

DDK

Banned
Banned
They only have a three-fold one... I need at least four to cover my notes let alone what I need to put up in the sleeves :(

Alcamtar

Explorer
I made my own. They're ugly but they're free, they're mine, and they're totally custom.

(1) Take the cardboard backing from three or four pads of graph paper. It's best if it's not three-hole punched, and if all the pads are the same size/brand, but if you're careful you can also use mismatched panels.
(2) Lay it side by side in your preferred arrangement with about 1/16 inch between panels, and making sure the bottom edges are straight. The gap between panels is necessary to allow it to flex at the joints.
(3) Tape together with scotch tape or clear packing tape, being sure to preserve the gap.
(4) Flip over, tape the other side.
(5) Stand up, make sure it sits flat on the table. Make sure it is flexible, so you can arrange it as desired without stiffness, springiness, or binding. Also make sure it folds nicely for storage. If anything needs adjustment, cut the offending joint(s) and re-tape.
(6) For durability, wrap a strip of scotch tape around each untaped edge. [optional]
(7) Tape your favorite tables/pictures to the panels. I use MS Word to make custom single-sheet panels with all my favorite data and house rules on them. If you are careful to only attach tape to tape, it is easily removed, allowing the screen to be updated. You can also tape on multiple sheets along the top edges if you like the Hackmaster "flip screen" style.

You can easily make this as big as desired. Want a twenty-panel full-circle "cockpit"? No problem! I have made screens in both "portrait" and "landscape" versions -- landscape is nice because it's low enough to reach over easily to arrange miniatures or draw maps.

Fenes 2

First Post
I second the Kalamar DM screeen from Kenzer. It has just about everything I need for my game, and it has 4 folds - almost enough space to cover my 2 books and notes.

Bagpuss

Legend
I use Alcamtar method although I prefer mine 4 fold, with the sheet in landscape view so its wide but low. This means I can cover the whole end of a table with it, but still reach over it to grab the Doritto's and dips, it also helps me keep eye contact with the players and see the battlemat.

I finish mine by backing it with sticky backed plastic to make it resistant to most things.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads