• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Searching for a memorable scene

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I'm about to add a sample adventure to my homebrew RPG, and I want to use something really iconic, something that a large number of gamers will get a kick out of playing.

It should be suitable for low-level play, and multiple PCs. Other than that, I think anything's possible. Preferably a fantasy or medieval genre, since that would be the best showcase of the skills, equipment, and powers in the current game version. The game is public domain - not being sold - so I think that opens up the possibility of using copyrighted material, as long as no intellectual property holders can demonstrate monetary damages.

So what's your favorite adventure scene?
- Dwarves (and a hobbit) fighting giant spiders?
- Kain and Cecil fighting a mist dragon?
- Willow ('nuff said)?
- Light Warriors putting Garland in his place?
- Ash getting beat up by skeletons?
- The Brute Squad emptying the Thieves' Forest?
- (your suggestion here)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The game is public domain - not being sold - so I think that opens up the possibility of using copyrighted material, as long as no intellectual property holders can demonstrate monetary damages.

No RPG has existed long enough to be "public domain". Not currently being sold does not make something public domain.

Moreover, the copyright-state of the game has *nothing* to do with use of other material covered by copyright. If you swing your Gandalf around in public, expect the Tolkien Estate to look at you funny.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Moreover, the copyright-state of the game has *nothing* to do with use of other material covered by copyright. If you swing your Gandalf around in public, expect the Tolkien Estate to look at you funny.

Gandalf and Snape fan-fic!

On second thought, don't do that.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Alright - let's refer to this site in case you're worried about leading me into a legal viper pit.
[MENTION=2]Piratecat[/MENTION] - is that a piece of cover art I should be familiar with? If it belonged to a published adventure, it probably has already been played as an RPG scene. Next!

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Alright - let's refer to this site in case you're worried about leading me into a legal viper pit.
[MENTION=2]Piratecat[/MENTION] - is that a piece of cover art I should be familiar with? If it belonged to a published adventure, it probably has already been played as an RPG scene. Next!

As Umbran said, it's the cover of the 1e PH. BAD NERD, MIKE. BAD! :D

Seriously, it's delightfully iconic. Mention that statue, and watch long-term gamers' eyes light up.

Akillion

First Post
From Greek Myth (so no copyright): Teeth that turn into skeletons. Have some low level wizard throw them to cover his escape.

Or a battle on a scree slope that starts sliding down to a cliff edge, then all of a sudden creatures start popping out at attacking both parties.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Honestly there are so many ways to handle (and slightly differentiate) iconic scenes from previously published material so that you are not actually copying anything, why would a publisher risk cleaving too closely to previously published material at all, and risk possible legal action against them for doing so? I would never, as a publisher, attempt to replicate a previously iconic adventure and try to rely on Fair Use to keep me out of trouble. Why not deviate slightly more, so your adventure can emulate the flavor of a previously published product, while at the same time being different enough to consider your product an original, and not some close copy. Why risk copyright infringement, when it's so very much easy to be different enough not to be confused with anything previously created? Why risk it? Why ever put yourself in a risky position as a publisher ever - it doesn't need to be done.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Nerd fail. My bad.

Seems to be a recurring theme though:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/--Cq52F9taNY/TmpYj8Q_pXI/AAAAAAAAAOE/0QwcHTkVMB4/s1600/phb2.jpg

Good points all around. There's really no need to infringe on anyone's copyrights, unless like Umbran said, I have some strange need to go whipping out a Gandalf.

So I'm actually picturing a piecemeal adventure now, with several icons mixed in. There's lizard men, a temple, an idol, a mist dragon, a sealed package, Heinrich, a pirate with a magical sword, and two doors: one that leads to the temple, and another that leads to certain death.

What did I miss? (Besides copyright-free myths...hmmm...trojan horse?)

Remove ads