• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Searching for a memorable scene

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
The adventure is outlined, gang. I count five references to some fairly popular fantasy icons. Maybe six. I'd post the map for you, but it contains a couple secrets, so look for it in the Modos RPG rulebook soon.

Fair warning: there will be a massive idol, and some unusually-sized rodents.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Honestly there are so many ways to handle (and slightly differentiate) iconic scenes from previously published material so that you are not actually copying anything, why would a publisher risk cleaving too closely to previously published material at all, and risk possible legal action against them for doing so? I would never, as a publisher, attempt to replicate a previously iconic adventure and try to rely on Fair Use to keep me out of trouble. Why not deviate slightly more, so your adventure can emulate the flavor of a previously published product, while at the same time being different enough to consider your product an original, and not some close copy. Why risk copyright infringement, when it's so very much easy to be different enough not to be confused with anything previously created? Why risk it? Why ever put yourself in a risky position as a publisher ever - it doesn't need to be done.

Can I get an expert opinion? The sample adventure is all written up, with nothing that won't survive a de minimis argument. But the rules module...

I want the sample rules module to make the game very similar to Gauntlet. So I need to include things like valkyries, Death, generators, etc. to give the proper feel. Does an arcade game intellectual property, especially one with a generic name like Gauntlet, have a claim to make against an RPG? Especially one not produced by Hasbro?

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Gauntlet, by itself with some kind of dragon rider combat, might be too close by itself, and get you in trouble. Calling it Dragonrider's Gauntlet or better call it something different other than 'gauntlet' is much safer. Your promotional text describing your RPG should be enough - even including inspired by the Gauntlet video game (in proper legalese), might be better than to use the same trademarked name. No sense risking a cease and desist order on your product by corporate lawyers. Make it nuanced differently enough to make it your own thing. The point being, make your title different, something other than Gauntlet, and you should be free and clear of legal hassles. Most RPG publishers aren't getting rich, so you need to keep your costs low. If you start off challenging legal ground, you might incur unnecessary legal costs. Why risk that and create a cost you never have to spend, calling your game something else.

I'm not a lawyer and can't offer you any specific legal advice. This above is just common sense.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
From Greek Myth (so no copyright): Teeth that turn into skeletons. Have some low level wizard throw them to cover his escape.

I was thinking about that legend a few weeks ago. Then we had a big winter storm pass through. Then I bought 5lbs of organic carrots.

My mind out it all together: a Mage tossing the carrots into a bank of snow, and from each carrot rises a malicious snowmen...

Or a battle on a scree slope that starts sliding down to a cliff edge, then all of a sudden creatures start popping out at attacking both parties.
Classic!

There's a lot of marine life that hunts like that. Also terrestrial things like Ant Lions. It is also essentially how some carnivorous plants feed.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Can I get an expert opinion? The sample adventure is all written up, with nothing that won't survive a de minimis argument. But the rules module...

I want the sample rules module to make the game very similar to Gauntlet. So I need to include things like valkyries, Death, generators, etc. to give the proper feel. Does an arcade game intellectual property, especially one with a generic name like Gauntlet, have a claim to make against an RPG? Especially one not produced by Hasbro?

Gamerprinter essentially has it right. Get too close to the fire of someone else's IP and you will get burned. Or as my uncle used to say, why buy trouble?

You don't want to launch a new product and then have to deal with C&D letters- or worse, a TRO preventing you from selling your products. Even if you ultimately prevail, its money and time lost.

And if you actually lose? That could kill your company outright.

Akillion

First Post
I did the scree slope encounter (came to me after climbing down one in the real world) a few years ago as the DM. Probably one of my most memorable set piece encounters. For info I had ankhegs popping out in a fight against hobgoblin bandits.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads