• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Searching for a Summoner Variant

Krensus

First Post
Hey guys, I was hoping you could help me out. I haven't played 3.5 in a long while, but I'm about to join a campaign and I was looking for a Summoner Variant I saw a long time ago but can't find it again.

The gist of it was that instead of summoning a random monster, you could choose a specific creature that you always summoned when you cast the spell. So instead of summoning any Celestial Eagle, I summon "Bob." I remember that once you could Planeshift, you could go to their home plane and find them, give them magic items, and they would appear wielding those items when you summoned them.

Does this ring any bells? I'm pretty sure it was printed in an official book, but I have just been unable to find it despite digging for a few hours. Please give me a hand!

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I think what you're refering to is a variant rule from the DMG. I don't recall if it's in the 3.5 copy, but I distincly remember it from the 3.0 book.

EDIT: 3.5 DMG p. 37, sidebar variant: Summoning Individual Monsters.
Is this what you were thinking of?

Krensus

First Post
Yes sir, that DMG sidebar is exactly what I was thinking of. I was digging in the DMG 2 for it, but it was right there in part I. Thanks so much!

Remove ads