• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Second Son of a Second Son" - An Aquerra Story Hour (*finally* Updated 04/19)

Telémakhos

First Post
I just caught up on Bleys' musings. I think his inner voice fits perfectly. I think the inner voice is different in the outer only in that when Bleys thinks there is context and explanation. When he speaks, there are no wasted words and sometimes not enough of them to convey why he says the things he does (to someone like Telie who does not know well the inner workings of the righteous and forthright).

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I am happy to see the comments!

And yeah, I added very little (if anything) to the exchanges between PCs, but did snip here and there for clarity/succinctness.

Also, just a note: I edited the last installment to include the embedded links I forgot last time, for those who like to see the entries for things/people/places on the wiki.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
InterSession #8.1: Denouement & Decampment – Telie’s Day (part 2 of 2)

In the evening, Telémahkos was waiting for Lavinia’s return so he could talk to her again. When he heard she had come back from town, he sought her out, and found her sitting in the enclosed courtyard, which had been cleared of the bullywugs corpses. She was staring into the moving stream and listening to its soothing trickle.

“How did it go with the watch-mage?” Telémahkos smiled as she turned to look at him. She wore a dark blue dress with a white lace top tied up with silver ribbons. Her thick black hair fell over her shoulders in raven waves, and the paleness of her grief did nothing to undermine her beauty.

He gestured with the bottle of wine and the two goblets he carried.

"Oh, fine. . . fine. . . Maeve actually did most of the talking. . . I thought he might want to come out here and talk to all of you, but he said that he trusted Bleys and that he should come find him when he was free of his affliction." (1) She looked down with a shy smile. "He laughed when she described it to him. . ."

Telie smiled even more widely. "Markos seemed to find it funny as well. Wizards…" He shook his head in mock disapproval and set down the two goblets and poured the wine, continuing, "So, about your brother… I worry that he knew of the properties of the pearl that he was trying to steal and meant to use it for some nefarious purpose…"

Lavinia screwed up her face and opened her mouth to protest, but Telémahkos interrupted, "Wait, I will not continue this with you. It had to be said and now it is done. I just need you to know these things so you can make your own judgments as informed as possible. As for the woman he tried to steal the pearl from, she was somewhere in the area as of yesterday. In agreement for her guidance to get to this manse as quickly as possible we had to promise her safe passage. Now, with her first mate dead and the bullywugs vanquished, I do not expect her to try anything now, but you should be wary."

"And this is the woman that wanted to kill Vanthus right? He is the reason she sent those creatures here in the first place? It seems to me that we will not know what peril may or may not exist until we know where Vanthus is now… Do you think perhaps, he is already. . . I mean, from what was described to me, I am not clear on how Vanthus got away…" Lavinia was obviously confused by the details of the events at Kraken’s Cove.

"He jumped and swam away as if by magic… Did he ever exhibit any skills for magic that you know of? Perhaps he learned the ways of witches without the family knowing," Telémahkos explained.

"THE WAYS OF WITCHES!?" She looked shocked and a little offended. "Vanthus studied a lot of things, but I don't think magic was one of them," She composed herself and finished the goblet of wine Telémahkos had offered her and re-filled it. "Well, mother used magic, but neither of us ever showed much interest… I. . . " She suddenly stopped and stood and turned away, whispering a gasped "Oh no…"

Lavina turned back around and tears were streaming down her face. "You said he was swimming and jumping beyond what a human could normally do…?"

"That is how it was described. And this was after being injured by a woman whom I believe could have killed several members of the Charter had we fought even if we were all rested and fully healed at the time of the battle."

"When. . . when my parents were killed their bodies were never recovered…And well. . . My father had a ring that our mother had crafted for him which he used to call his ring of ‘Heroic Athleticism’ - He used to joke that mother gave it to him because he was not manly enough for her… But it let him do things like jump and climb and swim with incredible skill, beyond what any normal human can do without the aid of magic or the gods…"

She stopped and looked right in Telie's eye with a look of shock and disbelief. "But. . . but. . .there must be more than one of those rings somewhere. . . Perhaps my mother had spare version stowed somewhere that
Vanthus found… or perhaps it was the pearl that did it. . . I mean. . ."

She turned one way and then another, covering her face. "I… I can't…" She fled the garden and ran back into the manse. Telémahkos tried to stop her, but she pushed him out of the way. He sighed, and then followed.

Telémahkos caught up to her at the door to her bedroom, where she slammed it shut so hard, it popped open again, revealing Lavinia Vanderboren collapsed on her bed, sobbing.

Telie hesitated, but then went in and put his hand on her shoulder and squeezed it slightly. He pet her hair gently. After what he thought was more than enough crying time, he began to whisper to her that he was there for her and just generally soothing nothings to try to get her to let up weeping.

After a time, without looking up, she said, "I don't know what to do… I… I have no proof… I don't know if I want proof… Or what I would do with it if I found it… He's my brother…There is no way he could have. . . He must be ensorcelled…"

"I am so sorry, Lavinia… something between us that you can share with no one…" Telémahkos whispered in a hushed and pained voice, "I know the blood of my House runs in the veins in at least one who conspired against my brothers… It seems some people are just born broken ... I do want to help you any way I can ... but that is something to discuss later. I know my words can do little for you now…"

Lavinia sat up suddenly, not bothering to wipe away the tears still streaming down her face. "I must see him. I need to find him, or have him found and brought to me…" Her grief did not abate, but anger now seemed to crackle off in a haze of strong wine. "I need to speak to him of my suspicion face to face and know for certain if it is true or not. Not until I hear his words on this matter will I know what to do about it. . ."

"Do we have any hint where he might have gone? Is there perhaps something among the possessions he left here that you did not previously search through because you were suspicious of him?"

"No…I have no idea. . . But if he is fleeing from something and needs coin, he will show up eventually…" She finally wiped away her tears and stood. "I know you have your obligation to the charter." She turned to look Telémahkos. He stood as to not be staring right into her bosom from this angle. She continued. "And I know you are off on some journey that will have you away for some time, but… Will you continue to help me? Will you send me word or seek me out when you return to civilization? Perhaps by then I will have the coin to arrange for the journey to Fort Thunder. If the map I found means anything… It might mean that he is headed there. . . I want you to keep it and have your learned friends examine it. There are other places marked on it, perhaps therein lies some clue…"

Lavinia took both of Telie's hands and looked right into his eyes. Tears were welling up in hers again. "There is a strong alliance that can be made between us, and ever have our families dealt with each other fairly. If the last of what my parents worked for must fall into other hands… Perhaps it would be best if it fell into hands bonded with their kin. . . But I speak too much and show my heart too readily… I should be ashamed, but this grief has made me feel like I have no one left to turn to. . . No family whatsoever. . ."

She embraced Telémahkos and began to cry again.

"I will think of you while I am away and I will contact you when I am able. I will also see to it that my companions and I go after your brother when we are through with our business down south." He held her for a long moment and then pulled back to look her in the eyes again, "I am young and foolish and often as fickle as he wind, but you are a strong, beautiful woman and if you would consider me ... well, you know… When my time with the Charter ends, perhaps…"

They began to kiss, but she pulled away and looked down ashamedly. "No…I am sorry… I did not mean to put you on the spot. . . I know you have your own life and ways, and owe me nothing. If when you return from your journey you still feel you want to help, well then hopefully by then I will be able to make it profitable for you and your companions…" She kissed Telie gently on the cheek. "You are a kind soul, Telemahkos. . . Thank you… And now it is getting late, and tomorrow I have to return to town to see about finding buyers for the things you and your group brought back from the cove. Good night. " (2)

Telémahkos smiled and turned to leave, but turned back again. "One last thing, beyond hearing that your brother was involved in foolishness with these smugglers, had you heard of any plots by these smugglers or other pirates that would entail an attack on any of the noble houses?"

"Well, yes… As I told you when we met in Sluetelot. . . I once overheard Vanthus and someone I could not see talking down in the garden in our Azure manse. I was inside and heard through the window . . . when I looked out all I could see was an older man in travel clothes leaving… But what was said was something like, "And when the Wetherwax fleet is crippled, then our work will really begin. . . Oh!"

She walked over to a desk in her bedroom and took something from an upper drawer. It was the map she had mentioned early that morning; the one found among Vanthus' things. (3)

"Thank you, this will help me a great deal with my companions." Telie stepped closer again, feeling electricity at their proximity. "I know my reputation, but not all of my decisions are rash or foolish. I am not pledging myself to you because of your loss or vulnerability. I wish to be with you because of your strength and determination." Telie kissed her on the hand slowly, maintaining eye contact. And with a wink, he was off.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Midnight found Telémahkos and Timotheus out in the garden within the manse wall, passing a jug of wine back and forth and getting increasingly sloppy. Occasionally, Telémahkos would mumble the words to a song and then stop, and take another long swig, and then mumble something unintelligible. Timotheus was enjoying the slight spin of the world, grinning without end.

All of sudden, Telémahkos said: "Vanthus killed his parents."

After a few seconds, Tim replied quietly, "Wow. That's f*cked up."

Telie continued, "I have some ideas what we should do after the Kings Hills or whatever it is called .. "

Pulling the jug from Telie's hands, Tim took a swig. "King Stones."

"Okay, Kings Stones... There is a very valuable trade route Lavinia's family used to have from the Hellish Islands ... I am sure there is great coin to be made opening it again not to mention adventure and fame, and from the looks of the map Lavinia has provided me it is where her brother has gone… He is a danger beyond just being a crazy merchant's son ... He may be seeking a more powerful relic than the first one he found, and perhaps this time it will not merely be a cove of pirates that get torn to pieces if there at the wrong place at the wrong time."

Tim answered with his usual mirthful sarcasm, "Sounds like a lot of ‘maybes’ there, Killer. Maybe we can look into it, if there's as much money in it as you say there is. But I really want to take back Aerothen and start cleaning the hobbos out of Westen-scherp Muur."

Excitedly Telie replied, "And why not do that when we have more seasons under our belt and are ready to return home for good…? Or maybe the last thing the charter does is come to where it came from and clean house." He took another swig and then sounded annoyed as he asked "And what ‘maybes’ are you talking about? My guesses are gods-damn-golden and you know it… Vanthus didn't have the map for his health and this trade route is worth a ton more than an iron penny (4)… No ‘maybes’ at all there, the ‘maybe’ is if we can get it open… But that's the same ‘maybe’ we have for any of this tripe, and that is, will we live to finish the job? This really means something to me… Lavinia really means something to me… And my father and your father at their primes would wipe the floor with the whole charter so if it was so easy to go take our land back, they would have by now, So, listen to your little cousin and think strategically…"

By the end of his speech Telie seemed pleased with himself and drank more wine from the jug. He was careful to wipe it each time it is passed back to him from Timotheus.

"I can think strategically just fine, thank you." Belching, Tim grabbed the jug back and took another drink. He continued. "And like you say, maybe we won't live to finish the job. And if that's so, I'd rather die taking down hobgoblins and making life better for my family, my mom and dad and brother and sisters, than wandering around some heathen island past the boiling seas. I mean, I'll give that a shot too, but I got priorities, you know? And I bet I could take your fat old dad right now. Maybe they got good reasons for not handling things back home and maybe they don't. I'm not gonna give up on the idea just because they'd rather spend money on shipping lanes than on hired swords, or because they just plain don't have the balls."

Satisfied, Tim passed back the jug.

Telie sipped. "I guess we are at an impasse then..." He passed it back and fell sullenly silent.

"Eh, we can worry about it after the King Stones. I mean, there's no argument there, right? Maybe someone'll change his mind before we're done there."

"I guess it just makes me angry that this is even an argument… I mean, if it turns out we need an army for the Hellish Isles, fine… but Lavinia's family opened the route themselves so it sounds like we don't need one…We do need one to clear the hobgoblins out .. Why not explain how we would have those resources following the King Stones? Or if we somehow found the coin to pay for such an army while there, then I will vote with you to go home, but otherwise you will vote with me to go after this bastard who killed the parents of my future wife ... "

Tim's jaw drops. "Future wife? Didn't you say that the Lowe girl was your future wife? (5) I don't think the gods are big on multiple wives."

In a very low voice, speaking at the same time as Tim, revealing the depth of his drunkenness, Telie said, "I think she will say ‘Yes’… You can't deny she is beautiful… And strong of will and body ... and smart ... she needs someone now."

Telie mused, "And yes, well… Ida Lowe is gorgeous, too…" He continued playfully, "Maybe if we shave you down and teach you how to speak, Lowe would consider you suitable if I promise to give the Lowe's an inside connection on Briareus trade."

Tim scoffed. "Hah. I'm not getting married anytime soon. Women just slow you down when you let 'em tie you up with kids and marriage. I'm in no damn hurry."

Telémahkos replied quickly, "Lowe's daughter is only fifteen. She is only going to get more beautiful."

Tim shrugged, "And sure, if there's no cash in the King Stones after all, we can look into your Hellish Isles. But when we've got the cash for an army, even a small one, then we go back to Schiereiland and put it to use. Sound good?"

"Do you think it is reasonable to say we need a force twice the size of what we have to defend our trade and mines? To go from defense to the attack? How many men would that be?" Telie asked.

Tim was quick with his answer making it obvious he had thought about this for a long time, "In the mountains, it's quality that counts over quantity; we can't just swamp 'em with men, which is why they're so hard to clear out. But if we get some good men and some extra battle mages and priests, we should be able to take out a whole tribe with a lot less than what we've got at Pyla and Chalkour."

"And rockhead, we do need to make an argument to convince the rest of the charter to go and do this and you will need my help for that… Sheesh ..." Telie slurred his response, so happy in finding yet another reason for Tim to agree with him, he forgot the debate of it was over. He drank more wine.

"No question about that, girly-boy. But I'm sure you'll see it my way eventually. You're a smart kid, so you know I'm right." Smirking, Tim reclaimed the jug.

"The women love the girly-boys..." Telémahkos laughed loudly at his own comment, but continued. "Seriously though… Shouldn't we…Doesn't it make sense…" Telie slurred. "Shouldn't we be more concerned with situations that are changing? I mean, those hobs are gonna be there but this scum ... who knows what he will do ... ahhhh ... I don't ... I just want us to be like brothers and…” He belched and tasted wine come back up at the back of his throat. “…have the same goals…" Telie stood up, turned around and began to relieve himself in the grass, burping loudly again. Much of the jug was gone.

While his cousin emptied his bladder, Tim looked up at the stars. "Of course we have the same goals. We just don't agree on everything. And you know that's what brothers are like. I wouldn't want you to pretend you agreed with me when you don't, and I hope you feel the same. Right?"

"Of course…" Not surprisingly, Telie's drunken voice was suddenly filled with emotion. His voice caught on itself as he croaked out: "You are the closest brother I have..." He finished his business and took the jug roughly finishing it off, wiping his mouth with his sleeve, tears in his eyes.

Timotheus hopped to his feet and tousling Telie's hair. He took the jug and tossed it into the garden's landscaped rivulet. "I know it, little bro."

"If your family was in danger .. If the hobs were up to something new and we had to protect them ... I might get scared once we were on our way but do you think I would drop everything to go and help them with you? Even leaving this charter, maybe being disowned… Don’t you think I would?" He was very animated as tears ran freely down his cheeks.

"Oh, quit your cryin'." Tim pulled his cousin into a rough hug. "No one's asking you to leave anything. You're not gonna leave the charter, you're not gonna get disowned. You're gonna do your family proud."

"... and you're gonna kill a bunch of hobbos."

Telémahkos pulled away after a moment and rubbed his eyes. "Alright, alright ... We'll figure this sh*t out… But don't you think it must be a sign from a god or something that I jumped in front of Lavinia like that? She is beautiful… " He started to looks wistful again.

"Well, I jumped in front of her too while you were out cold. Think that means I'm gonna marry her too?" Tim dropped into a mock fighting pose.

"No... It isn’t as big a deal if you did it, because you aren’t a big coward, like me ... I need to practice with my sword… Where's my sword…?" Telie stumbled back towards the manse.

"Oh, that's why you use that prissy little toothpick! 'Cause you need something without an edge so you don't lop your own head off while fencing drunk!" Timotheus followed Telémahkos inside, leaving the water to chuckle over the sunken wine jug.

Telémahkos went to the room he was staying in, remaining relatively quiet despite his drunkenness. He stumbled around a bit fumbling with his rapier and scabbard. "When I am the best duelist in all Thriica my father won't be able to call me a coward any longer!"

Timotheus leaned against the doorway. "Eh, you don't have to be the best. You just have to be better than him. I figure that can't be too hard…Though being the best is good, too."

Telie continued to struggle, "No… Nothing I do is good ... I am the worthless son…" Finally he got the scabbard tied to his belt.

"Come watch my footwork." Telémahkos began to head back outside, taking two steps towards the door, but stumbled as he brushed against the corner of the bed, and nearly fell back onto it.

Tim rolled his eyes. "Blessed Nephthys," he muttered as he followed Telie outside, "I love my cousin, but please, you gotta give him some backbone. Amen."

Telémahkos whipped his rapier in wide arcs in front of him as they walked back towards the garden, dropping into a playful roll every now and again, not being that bad on his feet, despite his wobbliness. "So, if we do go north, then what? What is your idea about all this?"

"We get a stash of cash, hire a few dozen veterans and archers, and move in on Aerothen. I know there's maps of the place somewhere around Pyla, and of the area too, so we should be able to take out their ambushes. We just need enough magic to shake up the hobbos, hold off their witch doctors and maybe pop the gates, and we should be able to handle the rest."

"That's an int .. " Telie stopped, and turning green, headed to some bushes.

After ten minutes of heaving, Telémahkos went off to bed in an awful state, not saying another word to his cousin.

End of InterSession #8.1
------------------------------------------
Notes:

(1) At this point, Bleys the Aubergine was still stuck in the sepia snake sigil he set off.

(2) Lavinia Vanderboren offered to use her local contacts to have the party’s booty from Kraken’s Cove sold off and the treasure converted Thrician coinage. The party accepted.

(3) You can view this map by clicking here.

(4) Often referred to by merchants and rogues alike as "dead weight" Red God iron pennies are small, black tarnished coins less than a half-inch across that stain the fingers when handled. They are stamped with a sigil of four concentric circles. Iron pennies are only worth 1/20th of a copper piece each, but they are rarely (if ever) accepted outside the borders of the Kingdom of the Red God of the West. One hundred of these weigh a pound.

(4) See InterSession #4.3

Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Just a note to say I edited the last installment to include a note and link regarding Vanthus' Map that Lavinia gave to Telie.

handforged

First Post
I must say that I am so excited about this story. The characters are becoming very real. It feels like the bickering has settled to a reasonable level. Yay! I can't wait for more!

~hf

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
InterSession #8.2: Denouement & Decampment – Bleys’ Day & a Half (part 1 of 2)

Osilem, the 3rd of Ter – 566 H.E. (637 M.Y.)

Bleys Winter shook his head in confusion when the glowing amber shell about him dissipated and he found himself propped up in a bed in the Vanderboren manse.

Telémahkos and Vicoria were there to explain all that had happened since he had opened the folio and had been afflicted by the sepia snake sigil, while Tim interjected some humorous comment now and again. No one knew where Markos was at that moment, but Laarus was in town seeing his distant cousin, Lucian of the Spear, who was the high militant of the temple at Quillton and a member of the watch-mage’s council. Bleys the Aubergine’s normal calm and cold demeanor was momentarily cracked with disappointment in himself, but then he straightened his shoulders and got down to asking the questions he needed to better understand the events that had transpired.

After a meal, and greeting their host to give her proper thanks and offer her his service, as guest must, he wandered about the grounds looking for Maeve the Mauve. He found her sitting on a stone bench on a patio built along the path up from the dock. She was looking out on the water, where a naval crew was preparing the Sea Wyvern for a journey to Quillton, where it would be held until an investigation was complete regarding its original theft.

The others had informed Bleys the Aubergine that the sloop would be given to the group as a reward and gift, and they would have access to it as soon as the authorities were done with it, but it might not be for months. (1)

“Hello, Maeve.” Bleys greeted his ex-lover in a flat but cordial manner. He kissed her cheek and hugged her loosely.

“Bleys. . . You have recovered. . “ Maeve flashed a weak smile. “I have gone to see you a few times, but each time…the amber field… Whoever warded that book, it certainly wasn't a Vandermok, or else you wouldn't be here to talk to me… That is, if you plan to actually talk for a change. . “ She gave him a weary smirk.

Accustomed to being treated as if everything he said or did was contemptible ever since their relationship had ended at the Academy of Wizardry, Bleys resumed the conversation casually, giving no hint of his surprise to see her. “Well, I consider myself fortunate. Though I must admit, my plan to elude the warding had obviously gone awry.” He offered a slight wince. “I am surprised to find our paths crossing. I had not expected the pleasure so soon after our assignments. How come you to be in league with these Jade Ravens? You never mentioned them to Oliver or me at the Academy.”

“My mother and Lavinia's mother hate… hated each other, so as a form of revenge, Lavinia and I have been friendly whenever our paths crossed growing up… So when I received word from her that she needed help… Well, I was bored as hell in Vijand and avoiding Omerren the Mad - so I went to Azure and she had hired the Jade Ravens. . .”

She signed, and straightened her pale bluish-purple robes, and smoothed down her short hair on one side, and shifted her weight to her left hip. “The funny thing is, I really can't stand Lavinia. . . She's just so damn sincere… Actually, she reminds me of you… And look, I nearly die fighting to help someone I don't like just so I can make my mother angry… Ha! Reminds me of why I went out with you…”

Maeve the Mauve turned back to look at the water. “After helping Lavina safely move her things and sell it off to cover the debt, she was going to finance a trip to Fort Thunder to look after some of her interests there…Where money can be made. . . The Hellish Islands should be fun, and as about as far as I can get from my family…”

She stopped and sat back down. “But now with Tolvin dead…I doubt we'll go. . .At least not until we find someone else who knows the area. . . Not exactly common…”

Bleys watched her antics. “Now that's the Maeve I know: Never afraid to let your true emotions known. And I hope the time we spent together wasn't an entire waste, like your bannermen, I was always proud to serve.” (2) Bleys allowed himself a wistful look, but then quickly changed the subject. “So, you’d decided to join the Jade Ravens more permanently then? The Hellish Isles is indeed a long way. And the sojourn is as dangerous as the lands themselves, as I understand it. Who was going to finance the trip? Surely that's a costly endeavor. And while I know how you like to keep your own counsel, I am only inquiring as a friend, fellow Academy Alumni, and 'Devenpeck Winter...',” Bleys lifted an eyebrow. “…concerned for your safety.“ He sat beside her and looked her in the eye, having perfected the stare past the raven sheet of hair she habitually used as a means of masking her glare.

“Yes…I am sure it’s all about being friendly…” She sighed. “I said already, Lavinia was going to pay for it with some of the proceeds of the sale of this manse. She can tell you her own business best . . . but from my understanding, she was going to pay off the worst of the debt and then use what was left to fund some attempts to make more money in order to pay the rest and re-stabilize the business. . .”

“You always wielded the word better than the sword… But be careful, should you run all the way to Oolam to escape Magrite (3), the dangers that lie there may be more perilous.” Bleys replied in a flat, but commanding tone.

Maeve sighed again, never able, it seemed, to shake off her weariness. “But tell me, how is this Charter treating you? Is it fun being the Margrave's pet?”

“The Charter…” Bleys exhaled deeply. And paused to compose his thoughts and Maeve rolled her eyes, as familiar with Bleys’ mannerisms, as he was with hers.

“I could think of finer company,” He finally said. “The brightest among them is also the most irksome. Is there such a thing as being too smart? In all honesty I cannot divine why he would join this Charter. He acts as if it is a sentence worse than the dungeons. We also travel with what you would call ‘a baldie’ (4). The two are cousins and could not be more opposite, but at least the priest of Ra is disciplined in social composition, though I suspect him a bit of a zealot. My brother-in-law, Telémahkos is a coward, but I see hope for him, should he ever grow a spine. I believe I am most fond of the Militant, which is not a surprise to you, I am sure.”

Bleys searched her face for emotion, anything. After a brief pause said, “Oh, and there's the bastard Timotheus, I'd forgotten about him…”

“Yes, I met them all already. And yes, the priest of Ra is a bore, and the militant? I always thought female militants are making up for something they wish they had with those spears of theirs. The irony is they are never going to get it wrapped up in all that armor…” She laughed. “Oh, and the way both Telémahkos and his cousin looked at me… Well, I might have struck them if they were not of noble blood. . .” She shuddered. “The one you say is too smart hardly said a word to me. . . Yes, it seems like a bunch of low noble cast-offs… and you…” She had a smug expression as she continued. “As for the Hellish Isles, since the trip will no doubt be delayed and Lavinia seems to have a strong liking for the Briareus, perhaps you might find yourself going there eventually instead of us…? You might think it dangerous for me, but certainly not for the ever-capable Bleys Winter. . .”

Content to stymie further inquisition as to the Charter members, Bleys again changed tact. “Heh, I guess I would rather be ‘ever-capable’ than a low noble cast-off. But I've no desire to sweat through the jungles of the Hellish Isles. I'll cast my vote for 'no' when it comes. We are so diplomatic in our decision-making, but unfortunately, the others often find it folly to vote with me. We are heading to the King Stones though, but not for a few weeks…”

“If I remember correctly you never seemed too worried about sweating before,” Maeve cocked an eyebrow.

“There's a difference between good sweat, and bad sweat,” Bleys brushed the raven fall from her brow, and she leaned away from him.

“But it is just like you to make up your mind about something without knowing anything about it, and then nothing can sway you. . .” She continued. “It is easy to rule out possibilities when you don't know why you might need to follow through with them. . . But the King Stones. . . That should be interesting. . . You always liked Six Kingdoms stuff. . . That's the same time period, right?”

“Yes, that is correct. They are the same time period thereabouts. Our homeland is rich in history and this place, these King Stones are sure to be rife with it. Thrician history, Thrician culture, and its origins, that excites me. Why should I care about some trading post across seven oceans? Making such a dangerous journey to benefit an impoverished merchant? I do not mind having made my decision already. But that does not mean I am impossible to sway… Just leery…”

“Too bad, 'leery' isn't a color. 'Bleys the Leery' has a ring to it… Though there is some irony to 'aubergine',” Maeve smiled as if with secret knowledge. She stood up and looked once again out over the water. “Was there something else specific you wanted to ask about, or ask of me…?”

Bleys had stood up as soon as she did, and though her words seemed like she was ready to leave his company, Bleys noted that her body language did not. “Yes, there is. What are your plans for the evening meal?”

“I do not know. I was going to ask Lavinia if she had further need of me, and if not I was thinking of perhaps seeing Malcolm the Bronze, as he has recently arrived back in town, and who knows for how long…”

“Were it not an imposition, I would like to accompany you, for I too wished to see Malcolm the Bronze.” He fell in step with her, back toward the manse, staring ahead into the dusk. “…and I am not the Margrave's pet.” He offered reservedly.

“I don't even have to close my eyes to imagine it,” She replied with a smile. “I see you pressed against her ample bosom like a toy dog.” She laughed aloud. “I'll let Malcolm know you want to meet him when I see him tonight. I am sure you'll be able to catch him around town tomorrow or the day after… He'll be around at least that long; his council is convening.”

“Very well then, Maeve. If you have need of me, I'll be around,” Bleys returned to his usual callous demeanor. “When did you say you were leaving again? I would not forgive myself if I missed the opportunity to see you off with your new friends.” Again he loosely hugged her, attempting to ignore the familiar smell of lavender in her hair. He parted ways from her, hurrying ahead at a quicker pace, making toward the opposite end of the manse, and barely giving pause to await her response.

“You've always known how to find me,” She said quietly, waiting behind to let him enter the house first.

Much later that night, when Bleys knocked on the door of her bedroom and was surprised to find that she had not come back from town.

Tholem, the 4th of Ter – 566 H.E. (637 M.Y.)

Quillton had two broad streets that divided the town into quarters, but all throughout were many narrow streets made narrower by many small flowering trees. The southern side of town was a warren built upon a steep hill, scored with even narrower and winding streets. Bleys the Aubergine stood looking up at it in the mid-day glare, having stopped to take in the town as he made his way to the market and the many shops that surrounded it.

Most of the people here were gnomes, and most greeted him happily as he walked by.

“Howdy Mister Watch-Mage!” They’d say with a wave or a nod.

Bleys nodded back with the occasional awkward smile, unused to the treatment. He decided it must be residual goodwill from that they had for Malcolm the Bronze, the famously absent and adventurous watch-mage of Quillton. There were a good number of humans living here as well, though he did not notice any large number until he reached the market. The mid-day crowd was loud and boisterous, and not wanting to navigate it right away he ducked into a shop with many weapons on display, and was surprised to see that Timotheus was already here, making desultory small talk with the gnomish proprietor.

“Hello, Timotheus…” Bleys announced his approach in his usual flat tone. He did not look at the broad warrior, but instead lay his well-worn heavy crossbow on the counter, next to a half-full box of bolts. The proprietor came over to look at it, immediately remarking the poor quality of its craftsmanship with sharp tsking. However, before the accustomed back and forth expected from such dealings could really commence, the gnome was called to the rear of the shop. He excused himself, twisting the ends of his long white mustache in his fingers.

“Hello, Bleys…” Timotheus finally replied.

“Listen, about Markos. Can you not speak with him?” Bleys turned and leaned back carefully on the low counter, only half-looking at Timotheus. “He seems to have more regard for the words from your mouth than any of us. If we cannot reach some accord, then we may be forced to reach dissolution.” A blade hanging on a wall nearby caught the watch-mage’s eye and he took it up. He tested the weight of the bastard sword in one awkward hand, and then tried two. Still not enjoying the heft, he set it back on the wall. “And I fear that should he and I come to a head, we will cross more than words…” Bleys looked over the merchant’s bows.

“Sure, I'll talk to him,” Tim shrugged, as if thinking it was hardly necessary, or perhaps dubious of its effectiveness. “What's he done this time?”

“To my knowledge, nothing, yet. That is the point. But now that I think on it, I do recall something about him threatening to punch you in the face…”

“Oh yeah, he did say that, didn't he?” Tim stretched lazily. With a smirk, he said, “Ah, don't worry about Markos. If he gets out of line again, I'll give him a good reason to watch his mouth. But I wouldn't take him so seriously, if I were you. He's all talk and no walk.”

Bleys picked up a longbow and eyed its length, comparing it to his height. His eyebrows flinched, as if Tim’s casual demeanor might have irked him, but as usual, it was hard to read the mage’s emotions.
“Look, Timotheus, he, you, and, I all know that you could put a bruising of some magnitude into him, but this is aside the point. It is his talk I take issue with; his walk is what prevents me from calling for him to be ousted outright…”

“Now hold on there…” Timotheus interrupted, but the watch-mage continued.

“While his actions have only aided us time and again, we pay a dear price for them. He sows discontent in the group and more often than not he is at odds with one or more of us. His own cousin, a priest of Ra, does not earn his respect. No matter what god you hold dear, surely it’s unwise to besmirch the king of the gods; no? And I do not think a tithe satiates atonement, (5) but I digress…” Bleys took a deep breath when he was done.

“Look, I didn't say anything about beating the kid up. I'm just gonna... persuade him. I got a little brother and two little sisters, I can handle this just fine,” Timotheus flashed his broad easy smile.

“My request is not about resorting to violence,” Bleys continued. “It is simply this: Talk to him, hear him, show him the contempt he harbors for nobility is misdirected. We are lower nobilities… Cast-offs. I’m not even nobility, and you, by but a piece of paper. His resentment may have merit, but not in our group. This is our opportunity to prove ourselves better, prove ourselves something more. And he should be glad for the opportunity to be a part of that.” Bleys wiped his brow, sweat suddenly beading there, as if his cool demeanor belied some inward fire.

Giving Bleys a searching look, Tim asked, “You got any brothers or sisters, Watch-Mage? Or are you an only child? I bet you're an only child, am I right?”

“No, I am my father's second son,” Bleys responded coolly. “My older sister married Jason Briareus, thus how Telémahkos is my brother-in-law. I believe you may see her soon. I also have a younger brother and a younger sister. But I don't know what any of that has to do with the subject at hand. Your body language led me to infer you meant some physical persuasion. I prefer you do not; so might I ask, Timotheus, what that approach is?”

Bleys the Aubergine brought the longbow to the proprietor, seeing that the gnome was at the low counter once again. “I was hoping to trade the heavy crossbow in towards one of these…” They began to haggle over the price.

“Huh?” Tim shook his head and followed Bleys to the counter, ignoring the mage's rudeness by bargaining with the merchant mid-conversation. “You're a real cold fish, Bleys,” He said as the mage was counting out silver coins. “I hate to think what your family life was like. But no, I'm not gonna beat him up. I'm just going to explain that if he wants to get treated like an adult, he'd better start acting like one. And that's the problem, everyone's treating him like he's grown up when he's not. He's just looking for attention, and arguing and fighting and even kicking him out of the group is just giving him that attention. There's much better ways to handle it.”

Satisfied with his deal, Bleys turned to lock his black eyes with Timotheus. “You are right. I am glad we had this talk. And would you be sure to explain to him that self-loathing is also unbecoming. As I understand it, he is as noble of blood as any or all the rest of us. More so than I, anyway… (6) and you perhaps.” He picked up his bow, quiver, and arrows, and headed away. He stopped and looked back. “I took a liking to your bow and was inspired to get one of my own. Have you ever used one of those bastard swords?” He gestured to the sword he had been handling before.

Tim snorted with laughter. “Noble blood and bastard swords? Come on, Bleys, if you're trying to insult me, you'll have to try harder than that. I've heard it before, believe me.”

Bleys eyes opened widely. “You think I mean to insult you? I only meant that it seems like a fine piece of steel, and one that requires dedication and commitment in its mastery. I thought perhaps you had the tenacity to do so. Maybe I am wrong. I apologize for I never mean to offend. I could not care less if you were the Margrave's father, or a whore's son. We have duties and I expect us to do them regardless, to the best of our capabilities.”

“Are you for honest, Bleys?” Tim shook his head in disbelief again, but kept smiling, though the expression took a sour tinge. “I can never tell when you're being sarcastic, what with that big stone face of yours. Do I have the tenacity? Sure, I have the tenacity to master the bastard sword, or whatever it's a f*cking metaphor for. But I like my saber just fine, and I'd rather learn new tricks with that than pick up the basics of some other sword that just isn't my style.”

As they headed out into the mid-day glare, Tim gestured to the freshly painted sign of a nearby tavern. “You're a weird one, Bleys, and you're really kind of a pain in the ass, but I think you're starting to grow on me. Care to hash things out over a drink?”

“Thank you, no, as you already know I do not imbibe alcohol, and I do not know what there is to…hash out,” Bleys stumbled over the colloquialism. “I have told you my intentions and concerns. When have I ever been dishonest with you? Have you known me to be sarcastic? I was only querying that with the extent of your martial background you may have had time to develop the skills required to wield such a different weapon. For it is anything but basic. It intrigues me, that is all.”

Tim shrugged. “I guess… Thing is, I don't know if you've ever been sarcastic, because I can't tell what you're thinking half the time. You don't smile, you don't laugh… It's downright unnatural. But I figure, Marjorie (7) used to say they had a sarcasm class out at the Academy...” He paused for a beat, and then continued, “But I figure she was being sarcastic.”

The pair approached the tavern beneath the sign of the Hawk and Gull. “Anyway, this looks like a nice place. I'm sure you can get some milk or juice or something. And we can talk about, I don't know, the group, ourselves, where we're going. And at least try and get along a little better. If you're going into battle, you should at least try to get to know your brothers in arms.”

Bleys lifted an eyebrow. “Is that not what we have been doing? Combat makes comrades I've heard said. Again, I thank you for the invitation, but I must decline. I must see the armorsmith while I am here. It is a long trek from the manse and I would like to make as few trips as possible. Besides, you know how it is with armorers, their egos need stroking and you are always at the mercy of their schedules.” Bleys' delivery was as flat as ever.

“Suit yourself,” Timotheus shrugged, his attention already drifting. “Have fun with the armorer. I'll see you around.” There was a buzz of carousing in the air as he entered the tavern; the door closed on his call for a drink.

“‘Suit yourself’, I get it.” Bleys muttered to himself as he walked off to visit the Rare Earth Armoury. (8) “But. . .cold fish…? And do I really have a big face?”

…to be continued…

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Notes:

(1) This was actually a favor for the group, as they could not afford to keep it maintained and docked while they were away, they would be able to avoid fees while it was impounded by the navy.

(2) “Proud to Serve” are the House words of House Devenpeck, bannermen to House Vandermok.

(3) Magrite Vandermok is Maeve’s mother.

(4) ‘Baldie’ is slang among rogues and those contemptuous of authority for priests of Ra, who upon attaining a certain status in the church must shave their heads, whether male or female.

(5) Markos gave Laarus and Victoria ten silver pieces each to donate in his name to their churches.

(6) Not all members of the Winter family are nobility, only those who have married into some noble house or another. Many more, however, serve various noble houses.

(7) Marjorie the Iron is the watch-mage of Chalkour.

(8) The Rare Earth Armory is owned and operated by Harvel Hammeral, a gnome of some repute. The place was recommended by Lavinia Vanderboren.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
handforged said:
I must say that I am so excited about this story. The characters are becoming very real. It feels like the bickering has settled to a reasonable level. Yay! I can't wait for more!

~hf

Consider yourself quoted in the story hour index thread. ;)

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
InterSession #8.2: Denouement & Decampment – Bleys’ Day & a Half (part 2 of 2)

Much later that same day Bleys found Telémahkos in the room he had been making use of as his own. The blond young noble was brushing his hair. Freshly laundered clothes were laid out on the bed.

“Telemakhos, I need three hundred pieces of silver. If you can lend me these monies, I can improve the chances that one or more of us will return from the King Stones alive,” The watch-mage said to him by way of greeting.

Telémahkos looked as if he might burst out laughing, but managed to keep a straight face. “Hmm, I should be able to accommodate your request. Is it possible for me to get more information?”

“I have the rare opportunity to purchase masterwork armor, tailored to the specifications that I as a mage trained in the martial skills needs. (1) In every way it allows me to utilize my skills more effectively. As it turns out, I seem to always be the one left standing after our conflicts. Bes winked at us the night of the smugglywug raid on the Sea Wyvern. I would not like to count on being so lucky again…” (2)

“Alright then. One favor I will ask of you in return,” Telémahkos readily agreed. He was as free with money to the same degree as he craved it. “Please identify the rapier. I do not trust Markos to tell me the truth about it.”

“It was to be done by mine own hand, before you requested it. I am the diviner after all, and do not trust him myself,” Bleys gave Telémahkos a rare smile. It was strangely familiar to Telie, and he thought back to when they met as boys.

Telémahkos nodded. “If I may offer you my insight…”

Bleys waited.

“Pity and be wary of that one, but do not despise him or give up on him. He may not be made right by this experience, but he has been subjected to a life none of us could imagine... His mind is not all there, but perhaps if he can find his way among us... “ Telémahkos trailed off, as if considering the real likelihood of the proposition. “He is young and senseless, but he is only seventeen and served ten years of that on a hard-nosed pirate ship. I cannot help but think, there but for the grace of Bes go I.”

Bleys recoiled a bit, his cool demeanor returning. “And what makes you his champion? Can you also be his mentor? He has no social grace. No respect. No sense of proper decorum. It seems his aim to alienate us all, and saddle us with his self-pity and shallow wallowing.” The watch-mage allowed himself a sigh. “Most of the time when I talk to him, I want to throttle him. I do not know why I say this to you, except perhaps that I feel as much pity as anger. And perhaps because I know if everyone does give up hope of being companionable with him, then it will certainly never happen and that will do none of us any good.”

“It really does seem like dealing with a child,” Telémahkos conceded. “When I speak to him, I do so with politeness until he antagonizes me. Perhaps if I continue to show him that if he acts decently he will get treated in kind, it might encourage the behavior he missed out on being taught by his family.”

“Well, I consider myself a patient man. And already the boy shows an aptitude for testing the limits of that endurance. To some degree I begin to think that this must be intentional, but why? If he longs to return to the sea so much, why does he not? Nevermind that. I will pose these questions to him…” Bleys remained composed, allowing none of the frustration with Markos evident in his words to encroach upon his tone. He shook his hair out, as if casting off the unwanted emotion. “But as to you, my brother-in-law, I find myself gladdened that we have been able to reconnect. And my hope is that you will have the temerity to use that sword by my side, rather than let it dangle loosely from your belt as you shy from our foes.”

Telie became a bit more animated and genuinely pleased. He began to drape his toga about his body, wondering if he should call Tymon to help him. “I am also very happy about reconnecting and being reminded that we do share similar views on more things than not. And in light of this and the fact that I want to be as forthright as I can be, please understand that I will use the sword as best I see fit… Whether this means skulking in the shadows to get in an advantageous shot on a foul beast, lurking with my crossbow until there is an opening that will allow me to work with one of the stronger fighters such as Victoria or Timotheus. Or perhaps hoping to save myself until I can rush into the fray to rescue an unarmed innocent…” Telie winked. “I realize my methods do not suit everyone and that I very obviously do not have steel in my veins, but I hope that my recent actions will demonstrate my willingness to risk my very life for a greater good.” Telémahkos displayed a mix of earnestness and hurt.

“Yes, I am truly sorry I missed your display. Lavinia informs me that you acquitted yourself quite heroically,” Bleys ignored Telémahkos’ pained expression. “And while I do not possess the strength of Timotheus or raw tenacity of Victoria, I do not shirk my duty or responsibilities. Nor do those with virtue becoming a knight or a noble, and I now know that you have the capacity for that as well.” He looked down into the smaller man's face, holding his blue eyes in an intense stare, unwavering.

Telémahkos turned and looked out the window to break the stare.

“I think if my judgment comes to be trusted, it will not be much of an issue. It should be noted how I went down like a cart of stone when I did that….” He looked back to Bleys. “I will not claim that fear may never get the best of me again, but I am learning what to do in a fight, and since I have made it clear I am willing to risk my life for what is right, I hope that the choices I do make in future conflicts will not be as open to question…Or scorn…” A smile came first into his eyes and then across his mouth.

“Ah, Telemakhos,” Bleys appeared slightly vexed, exhaling. “I think you are confused. I do not question your judgment, or your will to live. For I too am not the warrior that Timotheus is. I understand that as a result we are forced to be more cautious. I do not wish to perish any more than you do, and I do not hold scorn for you, quite the opposite; I am growing to regard your counsel in certain matters as highly informed. I am merely trying to express how disappointed I would be were you not to continue to live up to the measures of virtue I now know you capable of…”

“I do not wish to belabor the point any further as I trust you to be fair in your judgments of me. In regards to your request, I have done some figuring in my head and wonder if there is any way to acquire this armor if I were to give you less than the full three hundred silver. I have some debts that I am attempting to make right since Timotheus is insisting we travel back to Azure. That being the case, as my brother-in-law and companion in this charter, I consider your need the greater, especially since I am well within my rights to pay these debts at a later time…”

Bleys clasped the smaller man on the shoulder. “I appreciate your offer and loan of the silver and your honor is intact. Though I wish I knew you to be a debtor before I had asked to do the same. Would it suffice were I to only borrow two hundred coins?”

“I will rely on your honor as a watch-mage that two hundred silver is all you need. What is left over will be quite sufficient to my needs and allow me to fulfill all of my obligations,” Telémahkos replied. He took a pouch of coins from the desk and spilled out a great deal of it and began to count. “What sort of armor is this, anyway?”

Without hesitation Bleys replied: “I have commissioned a suit of studded leather from the master smith Harvel Hammeral here in town. He is highly proficient in his work, even having created armors for the receipt of enchantment.” Bleys eyed the heavy pouch, noting the amount far exceeded two hundred silver coins, and their individual shares of the spoils. (3)

Telémahkos handed over the coin. “When I am done with my debt, I will be living off humbler means once more, but at least this burden will worry me no more.” After a slight pause, “Timotheus and I are heading out soon. Is there any message I can take to your sister or your sister's children?”

“Oh, yes, our sister, niece and nephew…” Bleys was as close to excited as he comes. “Please tell Paulien that I miss her, Anders and Spiro as well. Tell them that I think of them often. Actually, if you'd be so kind, I will scribe a letter for you to deliver. I appreciate the offer.”

“It would be a pleasure to do so. I will get it from you on the morrow. Lavinia mentioned that Tim and I might be able to get passage to Azure via a mercantile contact of hers, and I think we are off around mid-day…” Telémahkos gave a polite bow as the Watch-Mage took his leave, eager to get started.

------------------------------------------------------------

“MARKOS!” Bleys shouted across the lawn of the Vanderboren Manse, having spied the teenager returning from town with the arrival of twilight. Telémahkos had left for town nearly an hour before and Timotheus was still not back. Victoria was still resting her injured knee, while Laarus spent the day trying to translate portions of the book of the runes of the Ancient Mystics, as Lavinia gave it to him as a gift when he mentioned his interest in looking through it. (4)

“We must decide what to do with Leemo's book,” Bleys the Aubergine said brusquely, approaching the diminutive mage with long determined strides. “I assume that when you leave here, you are going to be expanding upon your knowledge. I must then also assume you figure the book into some part of that. Which is fine, I only ask that you let me hold onto it until then. As you know, it takes some time to scribe spells. And as we cannot both use it at once, well…” (5)

“Well, hello Bleys…” Markos replied with a smirk of annoyance.

Bleys drew up to him and continued, ignoring or not noticing Markos’ facetiousness. “Telemakhos has asked me to identify the rapier. I will try to do so for the potion as well. I know not whether you can afford the supply for materials to scribe every spell you wish, but as you know I can already identify the items. To that end, I know I cannot afford to copy as much as I'd like, lacking in both coin and time, so I am going to forego the sea-farer's spells and make decisions from there. I am most interested in the mark of the arcane, animating rope, arcane insight, erase, expeditious retreat, and jump, should I have the time.”

Markos looked up stiffly with a slight frown, and began to walk on towards the manse. Bleys fell in step with him as he replied, “Take the book. What I would like to copy can be done at a later time. My main concern is seeking out a mage with a better understanding of our art than my own. I’m not sure, but I think I am very close to mastering the mental exercises needed to cast more complex spells, and with some tutelage I hope to be able to cast them by the time I return.” (6) He paused, and then asked although he already knew the answer, “Are you able to cast spells in the second house?” (7)

“You are correct in your assumption. I am too green yet to be versed in spells of the second house. And when your studies are complete, your knowledge will surpass my own.” Bleys continued, much more reserved, and monotonous, as he is wont to do. “So, you will leave the book in my care. I appreciate the gesture. Are we agreed to use the book as a security should anything unfortunate befall one of our own? I will copy what I need into it before leaving it with Euleria when we set out next. I hope you will do the same; that is, assuming we can afford it.” (8)

Markos paused for a moment as they reached the door, studying Bleys' countenance before speaking, “Yes, I think copying those spells that are most important to us into the book and leaving it with Euleria is a smart thing to do…”

Bleys stopped in the foyer, opening his well-worn satchel, oblivious to the cue that Markos meant to continue. He pulled forth an assortment of items, cricket legs, wire, and feathers, amongst their number. “Keep these, they are yours. I have the same number should the need for more arise.”

“This would be a good time for us to reveal to each other exactly what spells we each know,” Markos finally continued after a world-weary sigh. “Or one of us may assume the other is using this idea as a way to learn the other's spells without fair trade.” Markos opened his own satchel to put away the components he had been handed, and fetched out his spell book, handing it to Bleys and then motioned towards the inner garden doors, where they might sit and continue their talk. “I also have some thoughts on training for spells of the second house.”

“I do not appreciate the accusation,” A frown flickered at the corner of Bleys’ mouth and in a divot at the base of his brow. “And frankly cannot understand why you are so preoccupied with what spells I know or can cast. However, I can readily capitulate to your point. It would be unfair of me to assume that we could not avail of learning any spells available in a book we are sharing…” He waved Markos' book away and continued. “I have not the spell necessary to read your book now. But I will tell you what I know, though I am sure you can deduce most. I am focused in divination as you may recall, thinking this the most beneficial in my pursuit of rarer and unique magic, the collection of those material components, and their preservation and delivery to the more sedentary of my fellow Watch-Magi. As of now I am only able to cast a few cantrips, and from the first house I know only a few tricks. Obviously it is important that I be able to identify what we may encounter as well as protect myself should the need arise as I am likely to be involved in swordplay, thus I have often prepared, mage's armor. As a graduate of the adventuring curriculum, my spells are rounded out with the ability to comprehend languages, preserve food, and grant low-light vision. Should the environment become adverse I am able to ward myself as to endure elements as well.” Bleys eyed Markos expectantly, as if awaiting some smarmy comment, but as it did not immediately come, he continued. “If you are looking for sheer devastation or raw power I am afraid you are in league with the wrong wizard. My job is one of delivery and protection. We who graduate the Academy of Wizardry are dedicated to the good of the common people above all. As there are watch-mages who reside in and guard towns, lending the sagacious word to those in need, my position is to do the same for those who travel the by-ways of Thricia. All of them. And that means I have a lot of ground to cover. I may carry a scroll from one watch-mage to another, fill in one's absence, or secure a rare component for one not able to leave his post. These tasks combined with my prior training as a warrior make me ideal to this purpose.” Satisfied that he had made himself clear, Bleys awaited Markos' reply.

Markos' face had hardened as the watch-mage spoke. “I have made it clear why I would like to know what spells you are able to cast and I have already told both you and Tim what spells I can cast; call it an accusation if you will but I made my statement equally applicable to either of us and made it hoping to avoid future misunderstanding.” His words snapped with angry breath, and then he rattled off a list of spells he knew. “Furthermore, you would do well...”

“Young man, you must be confused,” Bleys cut in. “You never told me all the spells that were in your repertoire until this exact moment. Having been paying attention to those particulars, I have noted some of those, yes, but not all as you claim.” Bleys remained as cool and monotonous as ever, if even slightly slower in his delivery.

Markos slashed his chin downward to cut off his own words and took a deep breath. His face relaxed, and his tone became softer, though there was still an edge of impatience to it. “I will be able to help you with casting spells of the second house when you are ready… Training is expensive, however, and I would appreciate if you could cover half the cost of my own training for spells when it comes time for me to train you. If you cannot afford this, I will not insist and offer training anyway as your mastery of said skills will only make me more likely to survive any danger we all find ourselves in.”

“Now, am I to understand this properly, are you asking to borrow coin from me so that you might cover the expense of training at the University now?”

Markos replied with exaggerated torpidity. “No - let me repeat: I would appreciate if you could cover half the cost of my own training, as in for spells of the third house, when it comes time for me to train you.” He could not keep up the façade even for effect, as his words grew more rapid and heated. “And perhaps it is you who are confused…I would not have considered you an old man, but perhaps your apparently addled wits and your insistence on treating me as a youngster suggest otherwise. Do you not recall conversations between me, you and Tim about the importance of knowing what we each can do when we were on the sloop? Do you not recall my then saying to Tim, with you still there, what spells I can cast?” He paused and slowed down again. “I don't know if you are purposely obtuse or if it is some personality quirk, but it has been you, not I, that has been reticent to share information to this point while ignoring suggestions that sharing what we can do would only benefit all. I have offered you something I value: knowledge. I would expect you, as a diviner, to value it as well. Take it or leave it.”

Bleys nodded, ignoring Markos’ histrionics. “Ah, now I understand. Your point about training was unclear to me. I apologize if asking for clarification is keeping you from more important affairs. Obviously we will have to agree to be at impasse. For I am not so old, nor are my wits addled. If any, mine are as clear as a Quark morn, for I shun drink to ensure as much. I recall the two conversations you had with Timotheus, and I do know that I never, as stated, until now knew your full compliment of spells. As to me sharing such information with you so readily, I am surprised that you, of all individuals, would not understand my hesitation. For ultimately, any spell that I were to share with you, should it come to nefarious end or serve malicious purpose, would reflect poorly on my judgment.” Bleys cocked an eyebrow. “Do you disagree?”

Markos opened his mouth but spoke no words. Bleys continued.

“I will be the first to admit that we have but known each other only a short time, and your comments of joining pirates, disrespect of Laarus' station, blanket contempt of the Margrave and nobility, and finding the prospect of the Vanderboren manse sacked by savage bullywugs laughable, these traits unnerve me. But as far as I am concerned, I am well justified in my reticence to share anything with you. But still I cannot help but query, since it has come up… If you are so miserable with the Charter and your assignment to it, why allow yourself to be so? Surely it is not in service to your noble blood? Your skills are commendable. The Winter Family serves the Royal fleet well, and House Wetherwax. I am certain that I may be able to secure you a position, a good one, aboard a ship of your choosing, in any of several different capacities. Perhaps even apprentice to captainship, or quartermaster, a boatswain's mate? What say you to that?”

Markos face was a mask of incredulity, “And I thought you were different from the others…” He shook his head. “Yet you too will fall back on money and station to deal with a problem. No, Bleys, you can't buy me off. While I find most of the nobles I meet worthy of contempt I find the Margrave's stated mission a worthy goal. Do not conflate my opinions on each. As for Laarus, I have personal issues with him that his station does little to address… This manse being sacked was amusing in a dark way simply because it seemed to me a noble's folly was actually going to be punished… The thought of others suffering for this folly was all too familiar, however, and made whatever humor I found in the situation short lived. Pirates? Simple longing for a simpler time. For a diviner you are certainly unusually content to accept appearances. And, please, I beg you to answer, how can you confuse the sharing of information on what spells we can cast with sharing how to cast those spells?” They realized how their voices echoed in the foyer as they noticed Tymon hurry by, but Markos continued. “It is only now, today, that we speak of trading spells, and that only indirectly through copying spells to a common book. Furthermore, do you have some rare and special spells I could not learn at the University by spending coin and noble influence? If not, then don't flatter…” He cut off his tirade, visibly collected himself and then continued more calmly, “Again, I offer knowledge. I offer it for our mutual benefit, though I believe you will have more to gain than I.”

Bleys shook his head. “Don’t be petulant, Markos. You know what spells I can cast as I’ve told you. You know as well as I that sharing details of spellbooks naturally progresses to shared knowledge. Furthermore, I’m not attempting to buy you off, but by means of an introduction I only hope my surname could provide, attempt to assuage your yearn for the sea. But as it stands you have told me two things this day: First, you are here by choice, meaning when you signed your name on the Charter, as we all did, you foreswore your right to grouse. And second, that you are not the immature fool you allow yourself to seem, act a man and you shall be treated as one. “

Markos' eyes bulged and he began to turn red. He stared at Bleys for a moment and his hands tightened into fists at his side. Almost in a whisper, he said, “Henceforth, I will keep my thoughts to myself and cease my grousing.” He winced with the last word, as if it were painful to say. “I don't see much point in continuing our conversation and there is no point in trying to explain where I find fault in what you just said, so, I will excuse myself. But first, let me say that despite this conversation I will always be ready to share what I know so we may better coordinate our efforts. Now, please excuse me.”

Markos stalked off, heading up the stairs to the room he was sharing with Laarus. Bleys the Aubergine smiled as he followed him off with his eyes, before returning to the letter he was preparing for his sister.

End of InterSession #8.2

-------------------------------------------------
Notes:

(1) Bleys’ masterwork armor grants an additional +2 of armor bonus, 4 extra armor points and lowers the arcane failure chance by 5%. For Aquerra’s rules on masterwork weapons and armor click here. It cost him several hundred silver.

(2) See Session #6

(3) The split per character of the Kraken’s Cove booty came to about 1 gp, 435 sps, 158 cps, with minor differences in some cases depending on coins paid into a group fund given to Euleria.

(4) The book was found in Session #8, in the library of the manse, and was later put back.

(5) It takes 4 hours per spell level to learn/scribe a wizard spell.

(6) Experience was awarded during this period and some characters had to train for a new spell level, feats or other abilities. For Aquerra’s rules for training, click here.

(7) In Aquerra, arcane spell levels are referred to as spells of a numbered “House”. Thus, second level spells are “Spells of the Second House”.

(8) It costs 25 sps per page to scribe spells.

Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
InterSession #8.3: Denouement & Decampment – Farewell, Goodbye…

Balem, the 5th of Ter – 566 H.E. (637 M.Y.)

There was a certain gaiety and ease in the tone of the signers of the Charter of Schiereiland as they gathered to have brunch and discuss business before some of their number took their leave from the others temporarily.

A table had been carried out onto the lawn, and they ate under the warmth of the rising sun, a refreshing breeze coming over from the nearby Wizard’s Sea. Perhaps it was that they knew they would soon be free of their signed duty to one another, if only temporarily, but for once their voices never became too sharp.

Telémahkos blond hair shone in that mid-morning light, and he laughed at his own joke. Timotheus guffawed and slammed the table with his big calloused hand, and Laarus’ polite smile was even more good-natured than normal. The priest of Ra was immaculate in his bright red cassock, as he always was when not on the road. His hair was recently cut; his teeth shone pearly white. He stood as he noticed Lavinia Vanderboren was standing, and soon everyone was doing the same, Markos dropping his napkin to the floor as he did as the others; belatedly.

“Enjoy!” She smiled at them, all. “I shall bid those of you who going on this day a fare journey… May it be blessed by Ptah with only curious and beneficial occurrences… I leave you now to your own business and will be busy with my own by the time you are done. Again, I thank you all for your aid in my time of need, and I hope that I might soon be of aid to you all as well.”

Telémahkos said good-bye last with a chaste kiss, and waved when she turned to look at him as she entered the house. He then turned to the others, grasping the ornate basket-hilt of the recently identified Steel Whip. (1) Victoria Ostrander smeared butter on her bread with military precision, but somehow looked more feminine in a fine gray tunic and breeches, despite it being something a young affluent squire might wear. The shine of her silver spear of Anhur about her neck was sending lights dancing across the table. She brushed her lengthening black hair behind one ear, as she told an attentive, but ever-silent Bleys Winter what her training to acquire access to deeper mysteries of her order would be like. (2) Bleys had finished eating, and thus his knife and fork were neatly crossed atop his clean plate. His crimson shirt was freshly laundered, and he had his watch-mage’s cloak draped over the high back of his chair. His black eyes narrowed as he caught sight of Tymon staring overly long at Victoria, and the portly young man quickly looked down at his plate and mumbled to his eggs.

Telémahkos cleared his throat to get everyone’s attention. “I wanted to gather everyone just so we could talk over our plans and any last information we need to share. I thought it would be important to keep certain things in mind as we traveled separately, in hopes perhaps of some of us learning more.” The rest of the party looked up at him, as he had remained standing, while the rest retook their seats. He could see that Markos has a book open in his lap, and was reading it happily, and only half paying attention. Bleys was placid as ever. Timotheus looked impatient, rubbing the fine hair of his soldier’s cut. Tymon hung on his every word. “To begin with, I can confirm the information I shared earlier regarding the plot against House Wetherwax I thought we were looking into at the start of this whole episode at the cove. Lavinia has told me that she once overheard her brother and someone she could not see talking in the garden at the Vanderboren Azure estate. She was inside and when she looked out all she saw was an older man in travel clothes leaving. As he left he said to Vanthus, ‘And when the Wetherwax fleet is crippled, then we can really start our work. . .’, or something to that effect…”

Bleys Winter nodded his head, apparently musing on the implications of what had just been revealed.

“Sure, I know some people I might be able to ask some questions of,” Timotheus replied happily. He ripped a big chunk of bread from the loaf in the middle of the table and began to smear it about his plate to sop up the left over sausage grease and butter. He smirked distracted by the list of names he was tabulating in his head, oblivious to the bit of dark grease smeared at the corner of his mouth.

Telémahkos looked around, but no one else commented. Laarus of Ra sipped some tea, while Victoria kept eating. Markos gave a half-nod, but barely took his eyes from his book.

Clearly having expected more of a reaction, but getting none, Telémahkos continued, “And it appears quite clear that Vanthus murdered his parents." He explained about how Vanthus’ magically enhanced athleticism was a clue to his involvement in the death of his parents. (3) “Their bodies were never recovered.”

He produced the map that Lavinia had given him and read a note off the back. “Even my fool parents cannot stop the inevitable…” The map looked as if it had been torn from a book or journal.

“After we go to the King Stones, I think we need to go after this bastard…especially if he is still working against Weatherwax,” Telémahkos concluded.

Bleys looked to Timotheus, curious if the big man might object to Telie’s use of the word ‘bastard’, but as he said nothing, nor seemed to care, the watch-mage spoke up with his own thoughts, "Again, Telemakhos, you make leaps based on something you know that I do not. What transpired with Lavinia's parents? What was the manner of their death?"

"Lavinia's parents were killed when their ship sank on the way back from Fort Thunder in the Hellish Islands,” Telémahkos explained, sitting back at the table, and pouring himself some wine to wash away the bitter coffer breath of his earlier meal. “The wreckage and some bodies were later found but Vanthus and Lavinia's parents were not among those recovered."

“So we cannot know that they are truly dead then,” Markos said, finally looking up. “If there are no bodies, there is no evidence of his guilt…”

“My belief in his guilt based on the evidence, or lack thereof, won't affect how we deal with him anyway… If we agree he is a danger, we should go after him. I wonder… if there was… any evidence in…" Telie's eyes widened with a dawning realization.

"That's it!' he exclaimed, looking to Laarus. He began to speak very excitedly. "Your vision… The ship… The barrels of Red God Fire with the ‘Q’ branded onto them! If that was not a vision of the past, I am still sure it is how Vanthus sank that ship and maybe how he plans to deal with us!" Telémahkos grew suddenly confused, and thus quieter. "…Or someone else in the future ... that we may be able to prevent? Uh…"

Laarus was startled by Telémakhos' outburst, but he quickly composed himself. And hung his head, deep in thought, and did not look up when he finally spoke. "It was certainly of the future," he began. "They always have been. Getting more frequent and detailed as the time of the event arrives. The last two were, anyway. I've not seen anything since. It should have already happened. But it didn't. I don't know why." Laarus raised his head and continued, "Vanthus could have employed such tactics. But I see no reason why he'd use such against us. He may not even be responsible for the attack on his parents. His escape from Kraken's Cove strongly suggests he at least knows something, though. And without their bodies being recovered, the parents could, as Markos said, be very much alive."

Bleys sat up and looked to Laarus, "Visions?" And then to Telémahkos, "Dare I ask how you know of the details of these visions?" He rubbed his chin, mulling over some other thought, before asking, "And Vanthus? How would he know of us?"

"Telémahkos knows the details of the vision because I told him," Laarus responded for Telie. "There were some items… I did not know their meaning and felt he would be able to shed light on it."

"My apologies Laarus. I did not really think of your visions being a secret before I had the thought about the barrels marked with a ‘Q’" Telémahkos covered his mouth in genuine embarrassment.

Laarus shook his head and held up his hand, responding to Telémahkos "I did not ask for your discretion in this matter. It was bound to be revealed eventually. The truth can never stay hidden for long."

Telie nodded meekly, letting the last of his regret wash away before jumping back to the matter at hand. He turned to Bleys, "If Vanthus was skilled enough or knew enough people, he could have learned of us asking after him. I am sure he was aware of the charter just as general news."

Obviously concentrating on these possibilities, Telémahkos began to pace. "I do not know, Bleys… Perhaps he learns of us in the future as we chase after him… But then according to the one who should know best." He gestured at Laarus, and continued, "The time of my 'death' has already past."

He stopped near Tim and added, "It is enough to make one's head spin."

"No kidding," replied Timotheus under his breath. "I'm staying out of this one."

“You seem to have a lot of faith in these visions,” Victoria began, but Bleys was voicing his confusion.

“It seems what I have learned is that there is more to learn,” the watch-mage said. “As I suspect the rest of us are just as confused, and wondering…" He raised an eyebrow and looked square at Telémahkos. "Your death?" And then shifted his gaze inquisitively to the young priest.

"Laarus suspected that if we had stopped at the Quillton port rather than heading straight for the manor, I might… have been blown up. Since it seemed unwise to stop in the town first, it never became a necessity to reveal this information,” Telémahkos explained. “Especially since it was a bit disquieting.”

Markos shook his head slowly at Telémahkos’ words, but did not comment on them. He sat up and lay his book down, and asked sounding weary, "Is this something worth investigating while I am in Moon City? (4) I can bring the map with me, the notes from Leemo's book on transmutation, and whatever else. Leemo's notes are particularly intriguing in combination with what we know about what happened in Kraken’s Cove, which was where both Vanthus and pearl were headed, and now this map mentions a pearl and clearly specific places were marked on it for a reason. Anyway, gaining access to Moon City's library will be roughly…" He paused to think. "I’d say a hundred silver pieces a day." (5)

"You were not blown up," the priest corrected Telémahkos in the midst of Markos’ pause. The price might have been garbled in the crosstalk. "Though, the end result is the same. As you found that disturbing enough the first time, I'll refrain from going into the full details."

Bleys remained calm. He noted Victoria’s silence once again, and then said, "I would like to hear more about these visions, if you were so willing to elaborate, Laarus. How do you know that they are always of the future? And you said something about barrels of Red God Fire branded with ‘Q’… Do we have any idea what else ‘Q’ might stand for?"

"Because that's what they are. They've always been visions of the future," Laarus stated. He was addressing Bleys, but looked over at Markos who suddenly stood and began to examine the sky in the direction of the sea, one hand shading his eyes. The priest of Ra continued, "These recent ones have involved casks, branded with a ‘Q’. Twice in a small, dark room. On a ship, I assume. Once rolling across the deck of a ship like those we've recently been upon. Once being kicked off another ship by a small figure. The last two I saw burst into flames and liquid fire, but I've always heard the explosion."

“The ‘Q’ is for ‘Quillton’,” explained Telémahkos. “It is a shipping brand.”

"So, you have had other visions of the future which have come to pass? Your whole life or only recently? Do you believe them divine insight…" Bleys, as always, was flat in tone, even when asking seemingly endless questions of the priest. "...of Ra? Are they manifested in this illness that gnaws at you?"

”We need to leave very soon if we are to make it to Quillton to get that ship,” Markos said, looking at Timotheus. The big man stood and stretched, nodding.

“Yes, over the past several years," Laarus admitted hurriedly. "The bile forms at the back of my throat whenever they come. I must either spit it up or choke on it. The only ill part about it is what I'm made to see. But, they are not sent from Ra… That much I know…" He stood as well, and looked to Telémahkos and then his cousin, Markos. “I will accompany you to town, for my training at the temple of Anhur begins today…” (6)

“As does mine,” Victoria stood as well. Bleys was drawn into reflection, considering what Laarus Raymer of Ra had told them.

“As I shall be arriving in Sluetelot first on my way through to Lilly City as soon as my training here is over, I shall take the tax money (7), and payback Barton Digits’ generosity by allowing him the profit of handling our payment. I shall also check in on Euleria and see what progress she has made on our requests of her.”

“Yes, I sent the letter yesterday by faultless,” Bleys added, finally standing. (8)

“Until we meet again!” Telémahkos raised his glass, and the others hesitated and lifted glasses of their own.

“And when is that again exactly?” Markos asked, hefting his pack onto his back.

“Between the twenty-seventh of Ter and the first of Quark, at Death & Taxes,” Laarus replied.

Forced to race to town in the unrelenting heat of the approaching mid-day, Markos, Telémahkos and Timotheus barely made it aboard the Silver Milk; the caravel that would bring them to Azure in three or four days time. Meanwhile, Bleys, Laarus and Victoria would remain in Quillton for training, though Bleys had yet to arrange for it.

End of InterSession #8.3
-------------------------------------------------------
Notes:

(1) Bleys had taken Telie aside that morning to inform him of what he learned of the magical rapier. You can read about it, here

(2) Victoria would be training at the temple of Anhur in Quillton. Priestly training for militants involves a great deal of mental and physical punishment to strengthen will, resolve and concentration.

(3) See InterSession #8.1

(4) Markos would be taking advantage of the gift of discounted training at the University of Thricia in Moon City, which was given the charter by House Curen. It was also the place where he completed his arcane training that he had begun aboard the Lady’s Lament.

(5) This is a guess based on the fact that he is a former student. Access to libraries in Aquerra is very expensive, with research at a Library of Thoth beginning at 100 sps / day. Remember, Aquerra has a silver standard.

(6) Priests of gods of the same pantheon can often train at each other’s temples, assuming there is a ranking priest present. For some specific abilities, however, this may not always be possible.

(7) The signers of the Charter of Schiereiland, as nobles, only needed to pay 3% of their gross earnings from plunder, rather than the normal 6% for all other folks. This amount came to: 212 sps, 6 cps.

(8) The text of the letter in the in the “sblock” below (not because it is secret, but only to save space):
[sblock] Euleria,

Please have the horses brought to Sluetelot. We'll meet you there at the end of this month. We'd like you to secure provisions for us all for 2 weeks; you're at liberty to procure more given reasonable pricing. Victoria will need to inspect mounts as she will purchase a light warhorse. Our venturing leads to the King Stones by way of Wesmearshire. To this end, any further necessities you may foresee need met, you've discretion to do so. If Falco's still available, we'd like to re-hire him. Timotheus will hire Dunlevey if he's available. He offers month’s wages in advance; position potentially permanent, prospect of advancement.

Laarus will meet with you several days before with further coin and instruction.

Thank you,
Bleys Winter [/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads