• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Secret Chest Spell

Gromnar

First Post
Hi all,

I have a question about the secret chest spell. The PC's in my campaign aquired the minature chest focus for the Secret Chest spell from a monster. Through the rules, is there anyway they could use the minature chest to access the real chest the monster had?

I know the description of the spell says: "If the miniature of the chest is lost or destroyed, there is no way, not even with a wish spell, that the large chest can be summoned back, although an extraplanar expedition might be mounted to find it. "

My question is, for the monster, its "lost", but its not lost for the characters, who have it in their possession.

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Trouvere

Explorer
Would it be cool for the PCs to ransack the monster's chest? Would it be cool for them to replace the contents with all sorts of booby-trapped horribleness and then arrange for the monster to recover the replica? Yes. Then they can.

Actually, though, it doesn't look as though the RAW supports it. The description is vague, but it looks as though the ability to recover the chest depends on having been the one to cast the spell: "Once the chest is hidden, you can retrieve it by concentrating."

Vegepygmy

First Post
I disagree with the responses above. The chest and replica are obviously sympathetically linked, and the spell never explicitly says that only the original caster can recall the chest. With sufficient research and powerful magic, I'd allow someone else in possession of the replica to recall the chest.

Sounds like a great idea for a quest, to me.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads