• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Secrets question

warbringer2008

First Post
OK just got the rules and have some questions regarding magic.

Secrets

In the career paths ...say Ranger for example ....one of the exploits you can choose is:
Nature’s Secrets. You learn the secret of plants and the secret of beasts.

What does this do???? I can't see any reason to choose this. Is having knowledge of a secret alone worth anything?

Thanks!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Two secrets for the price of one exploit is a pretty good deal. Of course it's only worth it if you also get some magical ability. It's an exploit which works well when combining different careers.

TreChriron

Adventurer
Supporter
Secrets are the nouns in the Verb + Noun magic system. To target something with a magic skill, you must "know" its secret.

So, for the ranger he might have secret of beasts and a magic skill of Abjuration. This ranger, being hired by an expedition, realizes that the Dark Swamp is crawling with vermin this time of year. So, before they break camp, the Ranger weaves an Abjure Beasts spell to ward the campsite from vermin for the evening so the expedition can rest peacefully.

The Magic system in WOIN is one of the deciding factors for me to jump into as my system of choice. It's robust, customizable and flexible!

TreChriron

Adventurer
Supporter
Also, Can't you cast a Cantrip with just a Secret? Did I read that somewhere?

From Page 162:
To cast a spell, you must know the secret and the skill associated with the spell, you must have enough Magic Points available to cast it, and your Magic attribute must be at least equal to the MP cost of the spell.

A cantrip costs 0MP, however, it will require a Magic attribute roll, and without any score in the attribute, you would be limited to skill and equipment to form a dice pool. Since it's likely something simple, that limited dice pool could be sufficient to cast the spell. Also, without a Magic attribute, you have no Mana Points. You would be limited to using components and/or an implement of some kind.

Spells in Woin don't require a roll unless there is some one or some thing actively opposing them. Things like cantrips would just happen most of the time.

Also this thread seems to be forgetting about the Alchemy skill, which allows you to cast spells without having a magic attribute. You still do however need to know the relevant secrets.

Remove ads