• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

See Jane run. Run, Jane, run!

Greymist_

First Post
I like the sound of these feats, I've been (don't ask me why) looking to build a long distance/fast runner character but not being able to continue running for more than 2-3 minutes has put me off.

One comment and please don't take this badly is that I did some crunching and I think the travel distances you can get from the second feat listed (Soul of Pheidippides) are rather insane, see below:

Base speed 30, +10 quick trait, +10 barbarian/variant ranger, +10 boots of leaping and striding = 60ft move.

60ft move * 5 run * 10 rounds/minute * 60 minutes/hour * 18 hours = 3240000ft = ~613 miles.

(You'll make the first DC15 check, assume avg roll of 10, +3 con, +4 endurance = 17 so avg 18 hours running)

And if you wanted to cheese it you could pick up the celerity domain from Complete Divine (+10ft move) and get +30ft move speed boots made.

I think the feat could do with one or two changes, my first idea was that you can run for half/three quarters of your con in hours and/or "You know how to pace yourself for the long run, you can run at 4 times your normal speed (instead of the 5x you get from the run feat) for **insert con fraction here** hours.

Feel free to flame/comment, I just want to make them slightly more sane (compare to a 9th level phantom stead that moves at 180ft/round for 9 hours)

Greymist_ said:
Base speed 30, +10 quick trait, +10 barbarian/variant ranger, +10 boots of leaping and striding = 60ft move.

60ft move * 5 run * 10 rounds/minute * 60 minutes/hour * 18 hours = 3240000ft = ~613 miles.

(You'll make the first DC15 check, assume avg roll of 10, +3 con, +4 endurance = 17 so avg 18 hours running)

18 hours? How do you figure that? According to the Overland movement section in the SRD, a character walks in an hour roughly one mile for every 10' of movement she has. According to the feat description in the OP, a character with Soul of Pheidippides can:
The Vorpal Tribble said:
While unencumbered you can use the run action for a number of hours equal to your Constitution modifier, but after that you must make a DC 15 Constitution check to continue running each hour. You must check again each hour in which you continue to run, and the DC of this check increases by 5 for each check you have made.
That means that a character with CON 17 and that feat can run for three hours, then make a check with a +7 bonus (+3 CON, +4 Endurance) vs. a DC of 15 to run for another hour, then make another check with the same +7 bonus vs. a DC of 20 (40% chance of success) to run another hour, then make yet another +7 check vs. a DC of 25 (15% chance). The next check is DC 30, which is beyond her ability.

So you can see, she can only run 6 hours as a stretch, tops. And that is only 6% of the time, assuming she can take 10 on the first check. Otherwise, it's a bit under 4% of the time. This is only one third of the time you used, so a Quick Barbarian using Boots of Striding and Springing can only run 180 miles per day in her best day... In most days, she can only do 120 miles. Your 9th level Phantom Steed runs 18 miles per hour for nine hours to a total of 162 miles; 180 if it hustles for an hour among those nine; and even more if the rider is willing to damage it by hustling for more than one hour.

Greymist_

First Post
Well I feel stupid now, I read con score (as per the first feat) instead of con mod.

So:
60ft move * 5 run * 10 rounds/minute * 60 minutes/hour * 4 hours = 720000ft
+
60ft move * 10 rounds/minute * 60 minutes/hour * 5 hours = 180000ft
= 900000ft or ~170miles.

That sounds more reasonable. That said I'm not sure how the rules will work with walking for 5 hours, maybe you should only be able to walk for another 4? Pass :)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads