• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Seeking a spell-less ranger

brun

First Post
So, for my next campaign, I'd want a non-spellcasting ranger (not that I have anything against the current version of the ranger class, it'd just fit my campaign).

Anyone has seen such a class printed in a product?
If not, how would you modify the class?
I was thinking about giving them some of the druids abilities, like trackless step (since there won't be any druids)...

Crothian

First Post
There's the woodsman in Wheel of Time, there are some in Mercanaries by AEG, and some other variants in Path of the Sword by FFG.

brun

First Post
Thanks
What are they like?
Or wath is the rest of the books like (I have a limited budget, so I'd like the better investment...)

Crothian

First Post
Wheel of Time I'd only recommend if you want to play in that setting.

Mercanaries has a lot of combat oriented feats, prestige classes and other things of that nature. It also has a lot of info on hirer and using mercanaries in one's game. It has a lot of information in it.

Path of the Sword is a class book for Barbarians, Monks, Fightersm, and Rangers. It covers a lot of area and has some alternate rules like fighting styles and ways to do acrobatic attack and horseman manuvers along with prestige classes, feats, a few alternate core classes, and Legendary Classes (prestige classes for higher level, 12+, characters).

I'd also suggest looking at the reviews of these books to get a more thorough idea of what is in them.

Zhure

First Post
I like the OA ranger. Same class, except everytime they would've gotten a new spell level, they get a bonus fighter feat instead.

It seem the simplest change to implement.

Personally, I don't understand the whole brouhaha about rangers anyway. If you want a 1e ranger, you make a Druid/Fighter/Wizard. If you want a 2e ranger, you use a 3e ranger. If you want a magic-free ranger, you make a Fighter/Rogue or a Barbarian/Rogue, or some combination of same.

Greg

CCamfield

First Post
Crothian said:

Mercanaries has a lot of combat oriented feats, prestige classes and other things of that nature. It also has a lot of info on hirer and using mercanaries in one's game. It has a lot of information in it.

Yup, lots of varied stuff.

As far as replacement rangers goes, Mercenaries has the following core classes:

Guerilla: sees nature as an environment to use and fight in, not protect. Get tracking, a few bonus feats, a weak sneak attack (starts at 2d4 at level 4, and increases to 5d4), bonuses to setting traps, laying ambushes, and survival. One favored enemy at first level.

Hunter: Gets "specialized enemies" (crit mult +1, subdual damage at no penalty, +1 dodge AC), stunning blows, surprise attacks (to 6d8, not usable in flanking)

Mercenary Ranger: A construct-o-ranger class. Primarily get a lot of options to choose from, one of which is spells but you could disallow that. Other options are increased movement speed, favored enemies, bonus feats, favored terrain, etc.

Scout: gets "sniper shot" (only usable with ranged weapons) to 10d6 damage, and some sighting and sneaking bonuses (like moving silently at full speed)

Gargoyle

Adventurer
brun said:
So, for my next campaign, I'd want a non-spellcasting ranger (not that I have anything against the current version of the ranger class, it'd just fit my campaign).

Anyone has seen such a class printed in a product?
If not, how would you modify the class?
I was thinking about giving them some of the druids abilities, like trackless step (since there won't be any druids)...

I wrote the Master Huntsman prestige class just for this.

http://www.chainmailbikini.com/freestuff.html
http://www.chainmailbikini.com/files/masterhuntsman-v2.pdf

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads