• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Seeking Detailed Setting I Can Ruin

davout1805

Explorer
Hi,
I'm looking to create an exploration sandbox (West March-ish) campaign. What I'd like to do is take a published setting as my setting's past by adding a cataclysm. I'm looking for a setting that has a deep level of detail/history. I know Forgotten Realms has a lot of info and a significant book just on it's history. The problem with FR I see is that the area is so large all that detail is probably spread thin.

I have several of the 1e Harn books but I think I'd like something not as low fantasy as Harn.

Suggestions? Thanks

If you want something steampunky that started life as a dark D&D setting, Privateer Press is currently inflicting a cataclysm (demonic incursion) on its fairly detailed Iron Kingdoms.

aramis erak

Legend
You might want to look at the D&D known world (aka Mystara) - similar size, but without near as much detail built up.

Kingdoms of Kalamar (Kenzer & Co) is a good option, as well.

Lace and Steel has a fun, Renaissance flavor, and unusual races...

davout1805

Explorer
You might want to look at the D&D known world (aka Mystara) - similar size, but without near as much detail built up.

Kingdoms of Kalamar (Kenzer & Co) is a good option, as well.

Lace and Steel has a fun, Renaissance flavor, and unusual races...

I'll have to look at my Grand Duchy of Karameikos. I'll take a look at Kalamar.

Thanks.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
What about Middle Earth, specifically MERP Middle Earth, pretty detailed imho, has a detailed history, low magic, etc.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I feel like you would need to go with a world that the players know, because otherwise "this is how things are NOW!!!" means a lot less because they aren't familiar with how things were.

So I think the best thing you can do is use the world that most of your players would be familiar with.

davout1805

Explorer
I feel like you would need to go with a world that the players know, because otherwise "this is how things are NOW!!!" means a lot less because they aren't familiar with how things were.

So I think the best thing you can do is use the world that most of your players would be familiar with.

I think I need to add some context. The player will be exploring recently discovered continent. This continent will be the post-cataclysm ruined version of said setting. Therefore I prefer a setting the players know nothing about.

Remove ads