D&D 5E Seeking Help/Critique on a Setting

QuietBrowser

First Post
So, I just had an idea for a new race in the Darkest Continent/Gardens of Zyn region, and whilst I love it, I really want to know what you folks think of it.

Hell, I want some feedback in general, but let's not get crazy.

From ancient stone temples hidden in the tropical swamps of the Dark Continent and the Garden of Zyn, aided by kobold allies and commanding the twisted life of their swampy home as servitors, come the gorgons: snake-skinned, reptilian yet weirdly elven maidens whose heads bear writhing manes of prehensile serpent's tails and whose eyes gleam with fell magical energies. A mutable breed, marked by many strange anomalies of form - snapping serpents for hair, multiple arms, undulating coils in lieu of legs - the gorgons claim to be the heirs to ancient dragon-kings who once ruled the world as living gods. Proud and haughty creatures, they claim as their own all of the ancient ruins of the lost dragon empire, and whilst they may deign to trade with other races at a time, all too often they have gone to war to recover what they see as their rightful inheritance.

In truth, the gorgons are not who they believe they are. In fact, they are a fallen strain of the elven family tree; a sister-colony to the first Sun Elves, historians studying the cursed ruins of the ancient dragon empire, who had fallen from glory before the elves first arrived on the mortal world. When the Netherstorm tore their souls apart, they tried to find a cure through combining early prototypes of the same elixirs that created the Sun Elves with residual magic tapped from the draconic artifacts they had been studying. The results were a... dubious success. It cured their afflictions, but left them overwhelmed by vestigial draconic memories, and physically mutated in the bargain. Even now, the draconic essence still sits uneasily within their frames, resulting in the diverse array of powers and mutations displayed by the race. Gorgons of great power can even mutate further, and the more serpentine they look, the more they are prized within their culture for their "blood purity".

The gorgon culture, then, is a hodgepodge; fragments of elven pieced together with snippets of remembered or studied draconic, mortared together with fiction and plastered over with madness. As a race, the gorgons have no idea that they were once elves; only the kobolds they share their temple-cities with, the true heirs of the fallen dragons, know the reality.

Eye color is hugely important in gorgon society, because the color of a gorgon's eyes indicate what kind of gaze abilities these have. Flame-eyes, for example, can project searing rays that incinerate whatever they look at, for example. Gaze abilities can also increase in power as a gorgon grows stronger (aka, feats/level-restricted).

Incidentally, whilst gorgons are believed to be all female, that actually isn't the case. Females are more common than males, but not greatly so (around 2-1 or 3-2); instead, the misconception is fostered by the fact that those ancient traces of Sun Elf have made the gorgons an androgynous race; males are all but impossible to visually distinguish from females at a casual glance unless one is very familiar with the race.

So, what do anons think? Does this race sound like it could have a place in this setting?

QuietBrowser

First Post
It's been a long time since I've said anything here, and I'm sorry for that, but nobody's exactly talking to me or giving me anything to think about.

But... I've been playing NieR: Automata recently, and it's given me some ideas for artificial lifeforms. After all, Eberron was one of this world's inspirations...

"Clankers", for lack of a better placeholder name, are the creations of the cogsoul gnomes; attempts to create larger, stronger, more durable servants to do the heavy lifting and dangerous stuff for them. They're the ultimate development of the labor-golems and clockwork machines that the gnomes already used; machines that can pilot themselves. They... weren't exactly thinking about the implications of giving a machine its own mind and soul, but to their credit, they have recognized the clankers as an independent race and their relationship on the species level is more Parent & Child. Clankers are somewhat ponderous in their motions and slow-thinking, but they're also incredibly tough and hardy.

Meanwhile, on the Isle of Catastrophe, the ratfolk have created "Junkerz", which are similar to Clankers, but were assembled from available scrap and "jolted" to life, Frankenstein's monster style, from the wild manastorms that lash the island. I don't know if these would warrant their own subrace, mechanically, but thematically they're a regional reskin of the Clanker archetype; big, tough, strong.

"Ethereals" (again, placeholder) are humanity's entry into the lifeform-creation race. Inspired by Clankers, Ethereals are basically humans trying to prove that they can do it even better. Visually, these artificial humans owe their inspiration to the Androids of Pathfinder, with a touch of the YoHra androids from NieR: Automata. I'm... actually not that certain of what to do with these guys & girls beyond that, though I do have an explanation for how they're a PC race - the creation-forges that produce them are releasing them into the world with false memories, testing to see how they can do at integrating with humanoids before they crank into full production. Or I could give them the Warforged background - they were created as an upgraded form of Clanker by humanity during the last great war against the Hobgoblins, and when that war ended, they're trying to find their place in the world. Need to develop this one most.

"Cherubim" are inspired by the Wraithguard of the Eldar, and are associated with the Moon Elves. Long story short, the Moon Elves have a Wraithguard analogue already - but, I figured that's not really a PC race. Cherubim are a branch of that technology, created as living memorials for the tiny soul-gem fragments that hold the ghosts of stillborn moon elves. When a critical mass of these soul-gems is embedded into the same artificial body, they combine to bring it to life; a newborn entity, artificial in body, fey in spirit, completely new to the world around it. Some elves cherish these beings as an usual form of progeny, others recoil from them as reminders of loss, others still hate them as a blasphemy. But, their existence cannot be denied, and much like the moon elves, occasionally they travel back down to "earth". In stark contrast to the Clankers, Cherubim are frighteningly swift and agile, graceful and contrasting their typical childish innocence with innate lethal instincts. As the saying goes, there's nothing more pure and cruel as a child. Visually, my current view of them is heavily influenced by the wraithguard and the eldar mecha; slender, graceful, androgynous things, with smooth-featured faces and elaborate vanes, crests and other protrusions.

So, what do folks think? These races sound like they have promise?

QuietBrowser

First Post
Here's another crazy race idea: inspired by the "Gnomeferatu" card of Heroes of Hearthstone, what about a similar species of blood-drinking vampire-touched gnome-kin? After all, gnomes, like humans, get everywhere, and we do have an Uberwald style region in the setting...

QuietBrowser

First Post
So, I know this is getting ahead of myself, but I haven't been able to resist it: I plan to put an "Oriental Adventures" region in this setting, simply because "The Mysterious Orient" (Japan/China/Korea mash-up more than anything) is a big part of a pulpy setting like this. I have the basic ideas for the region's races set up now, but should I try and elaborate on them?

...Hell, would it kill somebody to give their opinions on the other races I've been talking about on this page?

>The Lung Clans: Oriental Dragonborn who begin life as amphibious, kobold-esque "Yulings" who then mutate into dragonborn-like beings when they mature. Largest empire on the continent, but not unchallenged, both from without and within.

>Kitsune: Magic-wielding foxfolk nomads, essentially one part classic kitsune, one part gypsy. Make their living through performance, fortune-telling, useful tools, trickery and petty theft.

>Tanuki: Irreverent and primal denizens of the deep forest. Tricksters, hedonists and mystics respected for their magic & brewing skills, but not exactly major players on the imperial stage.

>Hare Clan: Descendants of migratory rabbitfolk who crossed over centuries ago and severely lost their way. Ruled by cruel witch-kings who practice diabolism, blood magic and necromancy, they are a warmongering breed driven by the pursuit of conquest and power. Not universally evil, but are generally The Bad Guys.

>Oni: Warlike and tribal ogre-kin with a primal connection to magical energies. Residents of the rugged hill-country, they are mostly known as a race of mercenaries, exporting individuals or whole armies in pursuit of battle, fame, loot and liquor.

>Wukong: Mystic monkeyfolk who inhabit a harsh region of mountainous forests and pursue a philosophy of spiritual enlightenment through physical perfection. Basically the Monk race, in contrast to Samurai Dragonborn, Ninja Kitsune, etc.

>Moonfolk: Inhabitants of a flying city (actually a damaged, prototype magitek spaceship), a mysterious and enigmatic race renowned for its mastery of magic. Actually the result of interbreeding between a clan of Moon Elves that tried to return to earth (didn't work out so well) and the Hare Clan ancestors who turned away from their corrupt kinsfolk.

>Ratfolk: Actually not natives, but merchants, spies, mercenaries and traders who have been in contact with not!Orient for the longest of the other races beyond.

>Nekomusume: Tigerfolk warrior-mystics, a rival nation-state that is opposed to the Lung Clans because, y'know, the Dragon/Tiger Rivalry is a thing in Chinese mythology.

I'm also considering other Hengeyokai breeds, such as Kawauso (otter-folk) as the region's equivalent to 4e Halflings (river-dwelling merchants and tricksters), but even without them, I think this is a fairly solid line-up of native races.

QuietBrowser

First Post
So, I don't know why I'm posting here again, but I could really use opinions on what to tackle next. Continents? A specific race? I have no group waiting on me, so this is worldbuilding for its own sake, but still, I can't focus on what to do next...

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
So, I don't know why I'm posting here again, but I could really use opinions on what to tackle next. Continents? A specific race? I have no group waiting on me, so this is worldbuilding for its own sake, but still, I can't focus on what to do next...

Why, because we appreciate you sharing your ideas. And its fun to get feedback.

Throw some ideas out for the "Far East" area. I'd suggest making it either north or south to avoid being too on the nose. I'd also focus on the Korean aspects, rather than Japanese/Chinese mashup. While the whole region has a shared history I think the idea of a more Korean inspired focus would be fun.

Remove ads