• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Seeking Hindi/Indian Adventures For Inspiration...

Flynn

First Post
Good Afternoon, All:

For those that have been reading my campaign/Savage Worlds evaluation thread, you may be aware that my players are about to embark on a dungeon crawl. I want to capture something of a Hindi or Indian flavor, and was hoping that perhaps someone had already released a dungeon with Hindi elements, either free online or in Dungeon magazine, or perhaps as a third-party adventure. If you know of any, please feel free to post the title and source (URL if free on the internet), so I can check it out. (I can convert easily, so it's okay if the adventure is D20, or even an older version of D&D.)

If not, any suggestions on monsters, traps or dungeon dressing that would capture a proper Hindi/Indian flavor? (Again, I can convert, so system is relatively not an issue.)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and efforts on this request.

With Regards,
Flynn

tankschmidt

Explorer
It's not quite Hindi/Indian, but Empire of the Petal Throne has a lot of influences from that part of the world. You can find some handy-dandy links for that game at the OD&D discussion boards, located here: http://www.odd74.proboards76.com/v45index.cgi?board=ept&action=display&thread=609

There are also some stats for Tekumel-style creature located over there, here: http://www.odd74.proboards76.com/v45index.cgi?board=ept&action=display&thread=651

If you search drivethruRPG by publisher for M.A.R. Barker, there's a bunch of Tekumel PDF's available too.

If not, any suggestions on monsters, traps or dungeon dressing that would capture a proper Hindi/Indian flavor?

Rakshasas. Definitely Rakshasas. The wikipedia entry alone is inspring: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakshasa

Voadam

Legend
There is a 2e Ravenloft module set in their Indian realm of Sri Raji, it deals with weretigers, rakshasa, kali death cultists, etc. There is a temple to raid but not a full dungeon.

I don't remember the name off the top of my head but I think it has illusions in its title. It has a rakshasa on the cover.

I ran it and enjoyed it but it has lots of jarring elements I would suggest tearing out. Foreign outsiders are slain on order of the ruling high priestess by her thugee assassins and people turn them in, but the party's guide is a foreign girl who was orphaned young and raised by locals who kept her secret simply by giving her a big mask. Also some wonkiness with lycanthropic infected PCs must be dealt with. I ditched the girl guide quickly and had fun with the different power group factions.

Merova

First Post
Voadam said:
There is a 2e Ravenloft module set in their Indian realm of Sri Raji, it deals with weretigers, rakshasa, kali death cultists, etc. There is a temple to raid but not a full dungeon.

I don't remember the name off the top of my head but I think it has illusions in its title. It has a rakshasa on the cover.

The module is Web of Illusion. It's a decent adventure.

Another option is the Map of the Yakshini Palace, a location supplement for Dog Soul Publishing's Sahasra setting. It is merely a location description, without an accompanying adventure, but it's nicely designed. It's a pdf publication.

Sadly, there isn't a strong supply of Indian-inspired rpg products.

---Olivia

Rafael Ceurdepyr

First Post
I've written several Indian flavored products published in PDF by Dog Soul. Besides the already-mentioned Map of the Yakshini Palace, there are Sahasra: Land of 1,000 Cities (the main setting book), and adventure called Sahasra: The Spirit in the Spice Groves, and The Books of Faith: Hinduism. Also in the line is James Quigley's Items of Magic and War. They're all available through RPGNow at big discounts.

Donna

AKA

Last edited:

Flynn

First Post
Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions. If you have any more, feel free to post. In the meantime, I'm going to check a few of these out!

With Warm Regards,
Flynn

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
This is a setting rather than a dungeon crawl, but hopefully it'll be of some help. WotC's Indian web enhancement to Oriental Adventures was called Mahasarpa.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads