• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Seeking Practical Advice on...Symbol Spells

shilsen

Adventurer
Stormrunner said:
And no, you can't take 20 when searching for traps, because there's a "consequence for failure". Say you've got a tiled hallway and you suspect some of the tiles are pressure-plate triggers. You can "take 10" which is being slow and cautious("Before each step I carefully examine the tile I'm about to step on") but not "take 20" which is trying every possible combination ("I step on every single tile to see if any of them are trapped.")

That's a house rule. By the RAW, you can take 20 when searching for traps, since failing by any amount doesn't trigger the trap. You can't take 20 when using Disable Device on a trap, since a failure by 5 or more triggers the trap, but that's not the case with Search.

Your example uses flavor to change the aspects of Search in ways that aren't necessary. Somebody could just as easily describe taking 20 as pausing in front of each tile for 2 minutes (taking 20 for a 5 ft x 5 ft space takes 2 minutes) and carefully studying it without touching it.

Peter Gibbons

First Post
Stormrunner said:
And no, you can't take 20 when searching for traps, because there's a "consequence for failure".
Wrong. By the RAW, there is no consequence for failing a Search check (for traps or anything else). And, just for good measure: "Common 'take 20' skills include Escape Artist, Open Lock, and Search." PHB, p.65.

Remove ads