• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Seeking weapons.

The Edge

First Post
(I appolgise for the vagueness, I don't have my books at the moment.)

A mundane question. Recently while thinking about a magical thrown weapon, I realised that I have never used the seeking ability for magical ranged weapons, and don't fully understand it. The weapon Im considering is a returning, seeking, chakram.

It says something along the lines of, shots will change direction to cancel out miss chance from concealment etc. Im uncertain of to what degree it means. is it regarding concealment only? Does this remove penaltys/bonuses from cover. Would it cuase an automatic 'hit', ie no dex bonus to AC or any other that is due to avoiding the attack.

Thanks.

Jack Simth

First Post
You still have a full normal attack roll to deal with vs. the target's normal AC for the situation -
SRD said:
Seeking: Only ranged weapons can have the seeking ability. The weapon veers toward its target, negating any miss chances that would otherwise apply, such as from concealment. (The wielder still has to aim the weapon at the right square. Arrows mistakenly shot into an empty space, for example, do not veer and hit invisible enemies, even if they are nearby.)

Strong divination; CL 12th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, true seeing; Price +1 bonus.
(Emphasis added)
So if you can't see your target due to invisibility, but you target the correct square, you ignore the 50% miss chance from concealment - ditto for someone who is blurred, displaced, too far away in fog, or even (as written, anyway) someone who is Blinking. You still have to deal with their AC, however.

Remove ads