• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Seekinig help on character concept.

yipwyg42

First Post
I am thinking of making a fighter type character in the next campaign that comes about. I plan though on just focusing mainly on 1 brutal attack a round. I know that fighters in a way depend on their multiple attacks a round to do damage, but figure with the feat selection, alternative class features etc.., it is possible to do enough damage to compensate. I mean sure Power Attacking is great, but odds are you are only going to hit with the first 1 or 2 attacks.

This is the books I can use

Core 3
Complete Series
Races series except dragon and eberron
PHB 2

Thanks for any input.

Slife

First Post
I'm not sure where war hulk is from... it's a 10 level prestige class that doesn't increase your BaB, but does give you +2 strength per level of the class. Seems perfect if you can find it (no iterative attacks, but lots of damage).

smootrk

First Post
I had a Dwarven Fighter/Ranger concept... A Dwarven Lumberjack who in addition to all the specialization and pure combat goodiness (and we used additional Ranger Styles: Strong Arm (cleave/sunder combo), but you could still use TWF and the Urgosh), the character had a lot of flair as a Paul Bunyon type of Dwarf.

EyeontheMountain

First Post
There are several feats in PHBII that give you one attack in exchange for other benefits.

I remember in 3.0 Fist wahtever there was a feat called Dirty FIghting that gave you a bonus on damage with only one attack. It was kinda weak though. Maybe there is a new one in 3.5?

Particle_Man

Explorer
I think that in PHB II there are fighter class options where you give up a bonus feat and get a class ability instead that involves making one attack instead of iterative attacks.

In fact, the monk has that as an alternative class ability in phb II if you want to go that route.

It is a darn shame you can't use Tome of Battle: The Book of 9 Swords - you would have that "one brutal attack" thing down pat.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
#1) Don't get down on Power Attack. I know it seems sub-par at times, but trust me, I've seen it in action. The Power Attack feat chain is one of the better ones for a melee-based warrior who is concentrating on big weapons that do a lot of damage.

#2) I'm not sure if your list includes the XPH (the Expanded Psionics Handbook- some call it part of the Completes, some don't...and there is the CompPsi which builds upon it...), but the Half Giant race (Size M, +1LA) has the special characteristic of Powerful Build, which lets them use a melee weapon 1 size larger than themselves without penalty. That alone will boost your base damage potential significantly.

(If you can't use that, there are the Goliaths in the Races of Stone with the same ability.)

In addition, the Psychic Warrior has access to a fine buff power, Expansion. It is essentially like the Enlarge spell, but you can boost your size up to 2 size levels- another boost in damage potential.

#3) Choose your weapon carefully, and keep your PC's background & culture in mind when you do so. The 2 Hd and Bastard swords are classic for alpha-strike fighters, but there are other weapons out there that have similar damage output and different impacts upon the game. The Greataxe does similar damage but with a higher Crit multiplier. You'll crit fewer times, but when you do, they'll hurt more. The Maul (CompWar) does the same damage as the B-Sword but is Blunt- you'll be able to use it against skeletal enemies and those that divide when cut (certain oozes). The Heavy Flail also does Blunt damage, but does Piercing as well, and has the same crit threat range as a sword- and, if you have the feats for it, you can do trips & disarms with it as well. The Greatspear (CompWar) has good damage, reach, and can be thrown- if your PC has a good dex, it might take down the enemy spellcaster before he knows what hit him (if you're using it as a throwing weapon, you'll need a solid backup weapon).

#4) Don't overlook the Sword & Board build. TWF with Shield Bashing can be quite effective with the right feat selection.

yipwyg42

First Post
#1) Don't get down on Power Attack. I know it seems sub-par at times, but trust me, I've seen it in action. The Power Attack feat chain is one of the better ones for a melee-based warrior who is concentrating on big weapons that do a lot of damage.

I plan on taking the power attack chain. What I meant above is that I am not really going to worry about my other attacks, but mainly focusing on hitting with the first one and doing enough damage (or an affect), that compensates for missing with my others.

So say I have a BAB of +5, and Strength of +4, If I were 6th levelI would have a total to hit of +9/+4. I would more often then not Power Attack for 4 or 5 making it +5/+0 or +4/-1. The thing is I want to make sure I can hit with the first attack and do lots of damage, than worrying if I am going to hit with the second or more attacks.

I'm looking at things like mulitple power criticals to make sure I confirm crits & Keen/Improved Critical to get my threat range up.

I'm also looking for things that give me an extra attack at my full BAB or attack options that stun or other affects on creatures.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If you're trying to max out your number of crits, check out weapons like the Falchion and scour the rest of your books.

While the Jovar (2d6 18-20 S, as I recall) wouldn't be available to you (its from Planar guide or some such), I'm sure there is at least one high-damage high crit threat range weapon in one of those Races books.

As I recall, there is a Feat in CompAdv that gives a +4 on crit conformation rolls.

After Str, max your Dex to improve your AC, initiative, and AoOs (since they are at base BAB). A reach weapon, in turn, maximizes the number of spaces you threaten. If you have Armor Spikes or Imp. Unarmed Combat, you'll be able to use those for off-hand strikes or AoOs as well, but TWF penalties apply- you really only count on those if you're using a 2 hand or reach weapon.

William drake

First Post
yipwyg42 said:
I am thinking of making a fighter type character in the next campaign that comes about. I plan though on just focusing mainly on 1 brutal attack a round. I know that fighters in a way depend on their multiple attacks a round to do damage, but figure with the feat selection, alternative class features etc.., it is possible to do enough damage to compensate. I mean sure Power Attacking is great, but odds are you are only going to hit with the first 1 or 2 attacks.

This is the books I can use

Core 3
Complete Series
Races series except dragon and eberron
PHB 2

Thanks for any input.

You want one shot kills, or One shot "he's down" and by "He" I mean your foe. Well, this isn't easy to do in a game system. There are alot of varients you can play with and it's not like real life, unless you'r DM has take then time like me to make D&D a bit more grity and realistic.

The class I love the most is the Duleist class. Add that with a Rouge, take the skills and feats which allow you to get sneak attacks even when in close quarters...take the feats that lower your cirt range, add modds to your weapons which also lower your crit range.

Also, ask your DM if you can make yourown feats. He is's ok with it, try and think about real hand to hand combat.

Make feats that allow you, if you win the initive, to wait for your enemy to move first...but since you were ready, you get an attack of opp since you were bluffing. Then, you would, if you did enough damage, get your first real attack. If your foes still alive, then he gets his first. But, if you take the Knock Down feat...you might have gotten another attack following your real first attack.

Try to remember to make Called Shots. Not sure if many people play by them but the system is. You call for a certain area "the neck" no armor, no extra mods to use on soak. Ofcourse the "TO HIT" is upped, since your going for a smaller area, but if you hit it..and crit..you do alot of damage, and it's to a specific area. You'r DM should then apply -'s to your foe now that he's been stabbed in the throat, or lost a hand or w/e/ This is, if you're playing that kind of game, if not...best of luck.

Other things, try to be the Dissarm master...
Try to see if there is a feat that, if you keep your weapn sheated and only draw it for a killing blow, that you get +'s. Think of the Sammuria, who keeps his sword sheated only untill he draws it, and in that one stroke, his foe is dead. There code was "one attack, one kill" now you can apply this to other fighting backgrounds; a swordsmen is a swordsmen.
Try and take feats that exploit your foe's weaknesses.

Thats all I got.
Game ON

Remove ads