• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Seel me on Exalted

Infernal Teddy

Explorer
Hey, I know more than a few people here play Exalted, so I thought I'd ask here to find out some stuff about this game. Please try and answer some of my questions, and tell me why I need this game:

1.) What are the rules like?
2.) What is the setting like?
3.) What do I need to play apart from the core book and some dice?
4.) Can 1st and second books be used together?
5.) What is the best thing about Exaulted in your opinion?

Thanks,
-I.T.

I'm not the world's greatest expert on the game having played only one but I'll add what I know. . .

Very crunchy. The game's ruleset is frankly a detraction from the rest of the game. Expect to pore over seemingly millions of charms on lists during chargen. Also it took me forever to figure out the essence mechanics.

The setting is huge. Creation has everything in it thrown together and room to spare. There's every culture around somewhere but they've all been mix n' matched so instead of the obvious japanese, european, and american nations you've got a nation with American Indian living styles, Samurai style fighters, and Scottish customs (Note that I'm not aware of a country exactly like that. It's an example.). As with most WW worlds the backstory is a hefty chunk of reading.

You can play with just the core book and some dice provided you're okay with only playing Solar Exalted. If you want to be anything else, you need the handbook for that group (ie. Abyssal, Alchemical, Lunar, Fair Folk, etc.)

No. Unless you're up for a lot of houseruling.

You know how you start out in DnD at the first level and worry about being killed by an angry housecat, and by the time you're really strong it's time for new characters because the d20 mechanic doesn't work too well with level 30 characters? That doesn't happen in Exalted. At the equivalent of level 1 you're one of the toughest, most powerful beings ever to walk to surface of the earth.

And the system is designed to emphasize this to you over and over, you are godlike without the game holding you back or breaking because you're adding +73 to a d20 roll. The rules even enforce a role-playing aspect to make you seem tougher because part of your character's power comes from how well you come up with awesome descriptions of your might in-play.

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
They aren't always the easiest to wrap your brain around, but definately fit the feel of the game. They emphasize being larger than life in all things.

Simple and at the same time complex. If you pay attention to the metaplots in all of the supliments I get the feeling you'd get overwhelmed. As a player, i honestly haven't read all of even the corebook.

They did a good job of combining anime with the feel of greek myths.

A good storyteller. Really.

You don't need the other books at all. Sure, the other books might help, but the 2e corebook does have enough on the other types of exalts for you to deal.

If you're looking to use the crunch from both, then you're going to be using a lot of house rules. But the secondary books are largely setting stuff anyway.

It is just downright fun.

If you want an example of exalted play, check out the storyhour for our game in my sig.

Infernal Teddy

Explorer
Another question: I've seen these other big books, Abyssals, Lunars and the others - can they be used for 2nd edition as well, are they being re-released?

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
The other big books are slowly being rereleased. The Dragon-bloods book recently came out.

The setting info is being updated in them as well as the rules. Like the other books, you can use the setting stuff from the first edition books, but you're better off waiting for the rereleases for the rules.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Seel me on Exalted

.....Well, all right, man....

086.gif

Now imagine yourself as that, but with the powers of Achilles.

You win! :)

Fishbone

First Post
If you want a more "spiritual" game where the gods play a huge part in the world inspired by wuxia/over-the-top martial arts and myths its a solid game and an interesting setting. With a little hunting you can get the 400 page full color hardcover for about 30 dollars, which is a good value for a book that large. Unlike a lot of other White Wolf books the books actually isn't a torture to read and is nicely organized.
There are some faults in the book in my opinion. Its crunchier than granola and very rules dense, so if that ain't your bag, stay away. If you like gritty games over all else, or like homebrewed low setting or even relatively high powered games, the sheer power you'll be wielding even at the beginning of your career might put you off.
The system is like Storyteller, so if you really dug that you'll like Exalted.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Infernal Teddy said:
Another question: I've seen these other big books, Abyssals, Lunars and the others - can they be used for 2nd edition as well, are they being re-released?

Well, the old fatsplats are about half setting, half rules, and the setting bits are still useable. Get them if you see them sold at a discount. Here is some more detail on them:

Dragon-Blooded: Though it was a very good one, the new Dragon-Blooded book has already been released, and the information on the Blessed Isle the old one contained will soon be released in a new book as well. Don't bother.

Lunars: Probably the weakest of the fatsplat, and it's probably next in line for re-release - though no release date has been announced yet. Don't bother either.

Abyssals: Wonderful information on the Underworld and the Deathlords. Will be useful if you plan to feature either in your campaign.

Sidereals: Great information on the Celestial Bureaucracy, along with detailed information what it is the Sidereals actually do. Will also be worth it.

Fair Folk: My favorite tyoe of NPC. They will either harass a Solar to no end, or attempt to make him fall in love with them - and for no other reason than to get a reaction out of them. Whether others feel Love or Hate towards them doesn't matter to them - the main thing is that they feel, and their activities regarding Solars will always reflect that. Worth getting as well, especially since it is unknown whether they will be rereleased.

But first, get the main book and contemplate which faction you are interested in using the most as NPCs in your campaign...

Remove ads