• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Selecting feats for NPC's - Mission Impossible

lior_shapira

Explorer
I've noticed most of the time I spend on creating NPC's using my computer (dm-genie, excellent program!) is spent on selecting feats. I checked today and I have 978 feats in the program. These include feats from the core books + psionics + about 5 other books.

Why?How?What?Where? plus any additional WH question you want

How do you select feats? do you have favorite feats or do you stick to the core feats out of desperation?

Psychic Warrior

First Post
I stick mainly to the core feats for NPCs with the occassional non-Core book thrown in. Choosing feats is pretty easy if you have a character concept for your NPC to begin with.

shilsen

Adventurer
I use basically core feats and sometimes use feats from the Eberron books (I run two Eberron games) and the Complete Books. That's it.

Storm Raven

First Post
If I'm going to be working with a group of foes with a common theme, I'll usually pick a palette of feats that those sorts of characters "typically" choose from, and then pick the individual feats for each NPC from that palette. Thus, the bloody chain orcs have a different feel from the severed ear orcs, who have a different feel from warriors from Isakoti, who have a different feel from hobgoblins from Polthia, and so on.

frankthedm

First Post
If they players have asked for stronger than core feats to be added to the game, i use those for NPCs. Other than that i stick with core.

Last edited:

Tinner

First Post
There are a LOT of feats that are great for PC's but will never be used by most NPC's.
Cleave is almost a must for a PC melee fighter, but for an NPC enemy? How often do you really get to drop two PC's in a turn. (Oh, I hunger for that day!)

Unless the NPC is specifically there to serve as a crafter, none of the craft feats are needed.

Just choose feats that the NPC will actually benefit from. Power Attack, Combat Expertise, Improved Initiative.
If the NPC is an investigator, give him Alertness, etc.
Don't overthink it. Stick to core feats that make sense.

frankthedm

First Post
Tinner said:
Cleave is almost a must for a PC melee fighter, but for an NPC enemy? How often do you really get to drop two PC's in a turn. (Oh, I hunger for that day!)
Cleave is useful aganst PCs who have leadership or summon monsters to slow down attackers.

Sunder is a good choice. to make the PCs run away.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads