Self-discovery through roleplaying??

Dogbrain

First Post
I learned just how long I can go without a potty break. I learned how much chocolate milk I can chug from a gallon jug (not quite a gallon). I learned that I really can eat a whole box of "dunkin' stix" and not notice it. I learned that I can find my way home all the way across Lafayette (when I lived there) at any hour of the night or morning, even a few sheets to the wind (walking).

Doug McCrae

Legend
Rafael Ceurdepyr said:
This may be an awfully philosophical question, but what have you learned about yourself through a character you've played?
Nothing really. Only what sorts of characters I enjoy playing.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
I played an alienist in a Planescape campaign. Playing Franklin taught me that my friends' brains are weak and fragile things. Simple, short descriptions of the pseudonatural creatures he summoned had them squirming. Some of his reactions seemed to really surprise or shock them. He cared very little about many things - had the DM involved the factions more than he did, he could easily have become a member of the Bleak Cabal - but his passions, when they emerged, were strange and unsettling. He became our group's canonical example of how you can have a high Charisma and be an unattractive, unlikeable person - because sometimes, when he spoke, you had to listen.

I suppose playing him taught me that I am capable of coming up with things even some of my older and more jaded friends and fellow gamers can be bothered by. :)

Last edited:

PallidPatience

First Post
Wow, that makes me really want to play an alienist... I don't know why, but I always enjoy freaking people out. :p

I've learned that I can't play a stupid character, either. I just... have a lot of problems when it comes to stupid people, and find it difficulty to stop thinking.

I've learned that I can be obsessive and annoying (it's sad when you annoy yourself) when I latch onto a character idea that I really like. I struggle to find ways around restrictions (and not in a good way, either) that involve unfair concession from the DM. I can be whiny (on the inside, though I try not to let it out), but I can often find a reasonable way to achieve results similar to my original goal. It is almost impossible for me to write a balanced PrC; at least, not if it has anything to do with my character concept. :p

In short, I get attached to some character ideas, and let my bias towards them overwhelm my judgment.

1upus

First Post
The group I play with has been quite interesting with regards to learning about ones self through gaming.

Have been with the group for over 4 years now, the funny thing is, no matter how many different games we play, most of the characters end up playing essentially the same basic character. The funny thing is depending on the player, this is either an exaggeration of themselves or an idealized version of themselves.

The one guy who inevitably plays the leader of the group tends to be an over the top version of himself. Loud, boisterous and full of life. Quirky to the max, but essentially himself.

Another character, who is not as masculine as your typical muscle bound poster boy, always plays the dumb macho barbarian type character....almost an total exaggeration as how he would like to see himself.

I tend to play myself in many respects, except a little less reserved. Being stuck in what is essentially expected to be a 'respectable' occupation where gaming is viewed as almost juvenile, I tend to be a little wilder and more out there. Also found out that I am actually essentially good by nature. As hard as I try to be the rogue or mercenary of the group, the character always ends up performing good deeds. And for some bizarre reason siding with the underdog...something I don't think I do in real life?

GO figure :)

lupus

I learned that I'm alot more like my character than I thought. when I think about it each character I make is me to some extent (hopefuly this won't be the case with my NE heartless killer)

I have deep seated callousness and disregard for human life. My characters tend to be violent, ruthless men. When they aren't they tend to be moral paragons- ones I usually end up running through a fall from grace storyline.

It may be that, ultimately, I'm a heartless bastard, and my characters are heartless bastards because of that.

Or maybe I'm an honorable guy and I like playing characters like that because I'm not as they are.

Or both.

Who knows?

Remove ads