• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sell Hackmaster to me

Gort

Explorer
So, I've heard a little bit about the game Hackmaster, took a look on their site and it looks very much like OD&D. I am very attracted to the "GMs versus the players" mode of play, but I don't gather how it works exactly.

Normally, "GM versus the players" type thinking leads to the GM splatting the players in short order. What in the Hackmaster game prevents this? Are there rules on what the GM is allowed to use, or what they're allowed to do? If it's just self-restraint, the game's the same as normal D&D, and I already shelled out for that :)

Next thing I worry about - D&D has come a long way since first edition, and I think it's a far better game for it. Will I be jarred by how old Hackmaster is? I'm just going by the art on the front really, as I can't find too much solid information on the mechanics, but I did notice a few throwbacks to 2nd ed on their website (things like having percentage chances to spot traps and that stuff). Does this stuff get in the way a lot?

Finally, does anyone here still run Hackmaster regularly and have any tips to running a good game or any general input on the rules as a whole?

wayne62682

First Post
I've only played a little Hackmaster, and it was with a really lousy group of people who used the "GM vs.Players" and the KotDT parody stuff to be complete jerks and abuse new players (then running them out of the game store with insults of "not being man enough to play Hackmaster").

IMO the game is funny, but it is pretty much a parody.. you're supposed to have fun trying to outwit the "evil" GM. I believe the GM's Guide says something to the effect of you want to match wits with the players but don't want to abuse your powers, but it's been a long time since I've read it.

It's a fun game if you enjoyed 1st edition D&D. Despite my bad experience, I would give it another shot if I had the opportunity.

Sorry I cannot be of much help.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Hackmaster is a game heavy on parody elements of AD&D (and a slight bit of Rolemaster parody), hence the adversarial stuff, but it can be played seriously, too. Even in Hackmaster, if you played "Killer DM" style, it would be a losing proposition, but its main selling points are its glorification of the non-streamlined aspects of AD&D:

--Tons of spells with isolated mechanics
--individual XP tables for each class
--an honor system similar to the old Oriental Adventures (1E) Honor system
--classes and races with minor benefits and drawbracks side by side with classes/races with MAJOR benefits and drawbacks
--many isolated systems for suprise, exploration, movement,

Some of my favorite aspects are its spells -- low-level "raise deads" which bring you back with lots of defects, multiple "skipping betty" and "sidewinder" fireballs, spells that make enemies eyes explode, etc. -- Things which were only house-ruled humerous stories in AD&D back in the day.

For players of AD&D, it's a fun romp through a system as full of variety as 3rd edition with all the bells and whistles, but with more classic "kill or be killed" sensibilities. For someone used to 3E, it may not be as fun without a GM who is very familiar with it, and lots of trust in said GM.

an_idol_mind

Explorer
Hackmaster is like first edition AD&D with all the optional rules in use. IMO, it's more of a parody than an actual game. But if you really like old school and don't want to use simplified rules like Castles & Crusades or basic D&D, then Hackmaster is a decent system for you.

theemrys

First Post
I've been looking more into Hackmaster lately since Kenzer & Co commented that they're looking at making Kalamar the default setting for Hackmaster in a few years.

I'm personally not ready to jump into Hackmaster JUST yet as I'm enjoying 3.5.. but there are a lot of great things about it. It is sort of a combo of 1ed and 2ed with some house rules thrown in. Lots of critical hit tables... the "Kicker" (extra HP all around), more lethal, but more chance to recover... cost to train up in levels... very much a going back to old 1e AD&D.

Although there is a parody element, that woudn't prevent a serious game. The main focus of the parody side is in the modules that are based on old AD&D ones... Now, there is some in the books (like Chainmail Bikini of Eye Gouging), but you can always take it or leave it.

Personally, I'm very interested in it, and might very well switch to it in time...

Ghostwind

First Post
I'm actually looking to run a Hackmaster group at the store where I work. It should be a nice departure from standard 3.x D&D.

Lucias

First Post
We played Hackmaster for 3 years bi-weekly with a fantastic DM. It was a great game with tons of action, humor, and heroics. It's a throwback to 1E with some modern sensibilities.

But it's not for everyone.

And you need a utterly amazing DM to run it well. Fortunately, we had just that.

Remove ads