• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Sell me on an Adventure Path (to adapt to/mine for 5E)

Mercurius

Legend
Short background: My group has been on hiatus for about a year and we plan on starting in January, using the 5E playtest rules. I'm creating a homebrew world and am looking for adventure ideas to mine, possibly even run segments of. The region will be a classic temperate sparsely populated region ala FR's the North or Dalelands or Golarion's Varisia.

I do have a few Adventure Path books but have only skimmed them. So far Rise of the Runelords and Shattered Star appeal to me most, but I'm open to recommendations. The Worldwound is also tempting, but is quite a bit different than my original intention. As I said, I may or may not use the adventure whole sale, or I might take parts, or I might heavily modify, etc. I will be using 5E playtest rules.

Anyhow, sell me on an Adventure Path! Which are your favorites and why?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't know if it will be in time to help, but I'm holding a D&D Next adventure competition in January. With luck, that'll provide a mine of DDN-ready material.

Mercurius

Legend
I don't know if it will be in time to help, but I'm holding a D&D Next adventure competition in January. With luck, that'll provide a mine of DDN-ready material.

Are you publishing the winner? When will that be?

Who knows, things have a way of getting pushed back. I imagine that we'll meet once in January to make characters and maybe run a first encounter or two to get into the rules a bit, but won't really get going until February.

Kinak

First Post
I'm not terribly familiar with either the EnWorld APs or Way of the Wicked, but I've heard good things about both. My experience is strictly on the Paizo side of things, so I'll stick to that.

Personally, I'd do Rise of the Runelords. We're actually about to start the last book in my home game. Then, if that's awesome, you can follow up with Shattered Star.

Second Darkness has a certain charm, especially to mine for ideas. It's just begging to have someone go through, fixing a few plot stumbles and adding the awesome setpiece fights the areas demand.

I'd suggest Reign of Winter if you're like a dark fairy tale flavor. And Rasputin Must Die is an unexpected gem.

One random side thought to mine for ideas is if your players are the builder types, Kingmaker could slot pretty easily into any wild area. You'd have your work cut out for you with the kingdom system, though.

What I'll say for Rise of the Runelords is that it's pretty straight-forward. Goals tend to be fairly clear, especially with the Anniversary Edition, and nobody gets too lost between sessions. At the same time, my players will remember Sandpoint for a long time along with... events at the beginning of book 2.

Cheers!
Kinak

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Are you publishing the winner? When will that be?

Who knows, things have a way of getting pushed back. I imagine that we'll meet once in January to make characters and maybe run a first encounter or two to get into the rules a bit, but won't really get going until February.

They'll all be available to download, but none of them will be published as such. You'll be able to see all the entries though.

moxcamel

Explorer
I'm just about to run the Reign of Winter Adventure Path, and it looks really good. Can't profess to having run it yet, but we did run through D&D Next from start to finish, and it seems to me that RoW wouldn't be that difficult to convert. The whole thing is very well written, perhaps a tad bit railroady, but because the story line and writing is so good, I have a feeling the players won't mind.

Cybit

First Post
I'd look into Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle actually - it's a pretty good adventure, easily on par with most of the APs Paizo publishes (and those have generally been some of my favorite adventures).

Out of existing APs - Kingmaker would be the hardest to adapt, but probably the best one to use if you have the time. Rise shouldn't be too hard to adapt (except for a few boss-type characters w/ multiple class levels)

Remove ads