• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sell Me On WoW!

ph34r

First Post
For some reason lately I've been having the urge to try WoW. I used to not really think much of the game but seeing lots of people talk highly about it and wanting to try something new has changed my view of the game. I'm not new to MMORPG's. I played Ultima Online for about 3 years (I quit because of the new stuff they were adding didn't appeal to me) and I tried my hand at City of Heroes (I got extremely bored with this and didn't play the last 10 days of my free month.) After seeing quiet a few threads about the game here I decided to turn to you guys/gals...give me your best WoW sells pitch. :)

kotik2

First Post
Well, I didn't make it through my first month of EverQuest, but I have been playing WoW daily.

Some of the things that appeal are stress relievers which are are less disruptive to my life than the ones I had been using (I used to travel - a lot - to relieve stress. Now I just shoot things :)) Beyond that it is a beautifully depicted world, the stories are rich and interesting, the people in our guild - for which you qualify just by being a member here - are fun, friendly and generous and if you choose to basically ignore all of that and just go kill things you can do that too.

There are issues, and I won't try to hide them. The game is phenomenally more popular than Blizzard planned for, there are immature people who do stupid things, they don't have all the wrinkles ironed out yet, they are not trying to please everybody and it takes forever for a gamemaster to answer your question. (They are trying to hire gamemasters if anyone lives near Irvine, CA).

All that aside, I would just say try it. Everyone I know who has has fallen in headlong, including people who did not think they would like it.

Enforcer

Explorer
Yeah, I'm a junkie. My first MMORPG was City of Heroes, which I played for a couple of months, then stopped, then got a Mac so I couldn't play it anymore even if I wanted to.

Things that WoW does that I love:

-Gameplay. There's nothing so fun as pick pocketing a guy with my Undead Rogue, then Ambushing for a 350 hp critical hit, then building up another four combo points to lead into a gigantic Eviscerate finishing move of pain to finish the poor bastard off. All in about 10 sec. Likewise, Mages have big ol' Boom Boom spells, Warlocks summon freakin' demons, Hunters have trained tigers and whatnot to distract their enemies while they shoot the heck out of them, Warriors and Paladins are big damn tanks that can't be brought down without some serious hate, Druids shapeshift into whatever they need to get their job done...or just entangle the poor enemies and hit them with spells, and the Priests keep everyone else alive while using some nifty crowd control abilities (don't know much about shamans, but they're supposed to be pretty nifty).

-Interesting quests. In City of Heroes it was "clean up the streets" or "I need you to get random item X-312." In WoW there's more of a story to everything (in my opinion), at least I feel more involved than I did in City of Heroes. For example, my undead rogue has completed several quests designed to develop a new plague strain for which the undead can wipe out the humans and animate them to their own cause. Cool stuff.

-Death doesn't make me exit out in frustration. City of Heroes had XP debt, which just plain sucked. WoW just makes you run back to your body as an invulnerable and invisible ghost, no XP debt or penalty, just a minor hit to your item durabilities. Or you can choose to resurrect at the Spirit Healer and not run back to your body in exchange for a larger item durability hit and 10 min. of resurrection sickness (where all your stats are reduced by 75%).

-Interesting craft skills and player economy. My level 46 Paladin has made almost all of his armor and his badass hammer for himself, and it's all good stuff. I've really gotten a sense of accomplishment from getting that skilled at Blacksmithing. And it's nice how the professions require the fruits of other professions. My blacksmith Paladin needs leather for almost all of his recipes now that he's reached Artisan level, for example.

-Consensual PvP. At least on the PvE and RP servers it's consensual. And when you want to fight other players it's a hell of a lot of fun. Especially since their new patch reduced lag when multiple players are in the same area. And the guys who are good at it are REALLY good. There's a Horde clan on Feathermoon called Low Red Moon that has their tactics down cold! They pack the battlefield full of Alliance bodies despite being heavily outnumbered (multiple level 60s in their guild certainly helps of course).

-Relative lack of jackasses. Sure, they're there (and they're usually Night Elves), but mostly not. And the /ignore function or leaving the General chat channel deals with most of it. Oh, and ph34r, if you type in chat similar to the way you spell your user name, I'd rather sell you on not getting WoW...or at least not joining Feathermoon server :). If the name is a one-time leet-speak eccentricity though, Enduring Nobility on Feathermoon would love to have you (Alliance only, though a Horde guild may be forthcoming).

-Decent support from Blizzard. Sure, their official forums will tell you the exact opposite, but let me just say that when they were having HUGE server issues they extended people's free months by the number of days the game was unplayable. That's the right thing to do. They've also made some decent improvements over the course (and their upcoming developments look particularly good--a confirmation window for rolling on Bind on Pickup items for one).

Things I don't like:

-Blizzard's claim that the game is soloable from level 1 to level 60 is just not true. Even with my Rogue, one of the most soloable classes in the game, I'm getting more and more quests that I need help with. For my Paladin it's a necessity to group. Granted, I group with good people, but I like the autonomy that soloing gives you.

-Population issues. The RP servers are overcrowded, though now that they've opened up two new ones I'm hoping the problem lessens. Also a problem is how the Alliance outnumbers the Horde by a fair margin on almost every server--this makes elite squads like the aforementioned Low Red Moon a necessity for the Horde. My advice is to pick a server (if it's not Feathermoon) that has a Medium population at peak hours--not so large that you're overwhelmed when you visit Ironforge or Orgrimmar but not so small that you can't get the one item you need to craft a recipe or complete a quest from the Auction House.

Khairn

First Post
WoW is built around having fun.

Blizzard has taken out the time sinks, reduced the downtime between combats, established "generally" balanced classes by limiting alot of variety, and given everyone a chance to gain some value out of crafting.

There is nothing that is really earth-shattering or new aside from the graphics which went away from the common practice of making everything as realistic and life-like as possible. The game is easy to pick-up and simple in IMHO, designed specifically for the casual player.

Close to 20% of the servers had been experiencing major lag and tech issues, but after working on that for 3+ months it looks like things are finally improving. Better late than never.

Its a fun game, and if you are looking for something new, this might be the perfect game for you to try.

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Enforcer said:
WoW just makes you run back to your body as an invulnerable and invisible ghost, no XP debt or penalty, just a minor hit to your item durabilities.
OK, that right there just went a long way toward selling me.

Enforcer

Explorer
Andrew D. Gable said:
OK, that right there just went a long way toward selling me.

It certainly was an important selling point for me to stick with the game. I really really hated XP debt in City of Heroes. But repairing equipment just costs money (and not a lot unless your equipment takes a beating), you can usually make the cost back in a few minutes.

ender_wiggin

First Post
A ton of the game revolves around getting and maintaining expensive items (so an addicted friend tells me). As a result, when you die people can't jack your items.

der_kluge

Adventurer
I'd like being able to solo. That was one of the things that made EQ really hard. You couldn't get XP anywhere alone after level 25 or so. Impossible. Especially as a cleric, like I was.

I may have to give this game a go, but I'm not sure what my wife would think about that. Maybe when she's gone for two weeks later this month.... hmmm

Dark Jezter

First Post
I don't think I've ever played any game as much as I've played WoW. Usually when I get a game, I'll play it heavily for a few weeks before growing tired of it and shelving it. With WoW, however, I've played it nearly every day since it came out in November, and I still haven't even started to grow bored with it yet.

Is it my favorite PC game ever? I'm not sure yet; maybe after the game's been out for a year I'll be able to say, but I can definately say that it's in the running.

Enforcer said:
-Relative lack of jackasses. Sure, they're there (and they're usually Night Elves), but mostly not.

Glad I'm not the only person who noticed that. Seriously, why is it that jackass players gravitate so heavily towards night elves?

This isn't just a problem with World of Warcraft, either: In Warcraft 3, Night Elf players had a reputation of being sore losers. I remember that one popular acronym in the WC3 player community was NEWB, which aside from being an abbreviation for newbie also stood for Night Elf Whiners Brigade. :)

Last edited:

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
I would have said that most of the jerks are dwarves, especially when it comes to ninja mining ore that I carefully removed kobolds from for 15 minutes. However, that may have been the early demographic, and having seen what night elf females look like when stripped of equipment and /dance-ing, a lot of the less useful players would probably gravitate toward night elf.

Remove ads