• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sell the fluff, pimp the crunch

Quickleaf

Legend
And that is on WOTC for setting it up that way. I wouldn't think it would be all that difficult to set permissions such that you only have access to files that were uploaded after your DDi join date.

For articles I could see charging a fee for previous releases which would be close to as if you had a DDi membership all along.

For the Character & Monster Builder youd need to do it differently. There's been good ideas discussed on ENWorld previously (typing from iPhone ATM so search is a PITA), and by actual software engineers not hobbyists like myself. One comparison I liked was with Hero Lab.

However, I tend to agree with the "good will" side of the piracy debate. Yes, intelligently design software, but pirates are always going to be there and they're often going to be one step ahead of corporations. Punitive measure usually end up disenfranchising some existing customers, which may look like acceptable loss on a balance sheet (if its even taken into consoderation) but there's a trickle effect and a critical mass at which that comes back to bite you in the ass. Instead, focus on retaining and steadily increasing that loyal customer base, because the dividends pay off in the long run. Basically, fighting piracy is a losing battle, but a healthy and expanding customer base is always a win - and the two are rarely in opposition.

Mirtek

Hero
And that is on WOTC for setting it up that way. I wouldn't think it would be all that difficult to set permissions such that you only have access to files that were uploaded after your DDi join date.
They would just need to set up access on a monthly basis. If you buy a 6 month membership on September 11, you will get access to all contend tagged Sep11, Oct11, Nov11, Dec11, Jan12, and Feb12.

If you want to see content from Jan10, you can just buy the month for the price of a monthly DDI fee or you can buy 6 or 12 past months for the same discounts you get for buy 6 or 12 future months

Quickleaf

Legend
So you pirate everything?
What? How the hell did you jump to that conclusion? I'm about the most un-piratey person I know.

What I'm saying is anti-piracy measures are misguided. And, in my particular situation with the Character Builder (as I mentioned upthread), now I'm tempted to pirate the old software. Thought never even crossed my mind before.

Matt James

Game Developer
I'm curious to see what the future brings. With more and more technology making tradition print products available on ipads, phones, and other devices, some new digital format is likely to spawn (advanced PDF type document). WotC has definitely been testing the waters in this regard. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=56189]Kzach[/MENTION]
Just thought of a comparison about the PDF market for WotC old editions stuff.

I have a '99 ford ranger and had to get the catalytic converters replaced recently. Turned out the dealer had discontinued those cats and there was no street legal option. I went to an upstanding shop that rarely broke the rules, but this was one situation where the guy agreed to put universal cats on my truck. Strictly speaking illegal, but it got my emissions to near zero and thats the point right? Sure I'm paying for them, but its a lot less than dealer product would be and the dealer isn't making money off of me.

So if there's no way to do it legally, I don't see a problem with piracy. Same thing with "out of print" PDFs. It's anti-piracy measures like taking down all out of print PDF sales that really backfire.

darkwing

First Post
I like the way it is now. I buy the books because they're better for browsing new crunch so I can get a good idea of what's out there and toss it over in my mind a bit before attempting to use it. When I go to actually build my characters I use DDI because its easier than using pencil and paper and it includes all of the updates.

Incenjucar

Legend
Counter argument.

Renting crunch is bad.

Agreed.

I really, really dislike how much of DDI can just be turned off forever. As such, I make sure to download every single PDF so that I at least have most of my investment, and I still use the offline character builder 99% of the time, because I can rely on that.

Remove ads