Send In The Clowns… (or, Converting the Oddballs)

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ - I like the lesser confusion idea and think we should make it a pattern.

Leopold - Glad to hear it! So, what LA would you give these freaks? ;)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
I’ve posted a thread in the Rules forum asking about this (http://65.127.163.19/showthread.php?t=83831). I think it’s ready, except for this part:
These illusions fight as the original creature and take no damage themselves, though they deal damage to opponents if they are not recognized for what they are (this works like the silent image spell in all other respects, except that the illusions disappear only when the creature is killed or when its opponents retreat out of sight).

and here is what I have worked out so far, tell me if this sounds good:

Illusions (Su): A tirapheg can create two illusory duplicates of itself at the same time, as a standard action. The duplicates are partially real, and appear to be the same as the original. These duplicates remain under the tirapheg’s absolute command at all times, through a telepathic link. The duplicates may take a standard action in the melee round they are created, and always take their actions on the tirapheg’s initiative.

This is a mind-affecting effect. The save DC is (Charisma?)-based.

At the instant a tirapheg creates these duplicates it generates a split-second flash of dazzling light, which affects all creatures in a 30-foot radius that can see the tirapheg as a lesser confusion spell. This effect conceals the sudden appearance of the illusions, and a tirapheg cannot use it at any other time. There is no saving throw for this effect.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Shade said:
BOZ - I like the lesser confusion idea and think we should make it a pattern.

Leopold - Glad to hear it! So, what LA would you give these freaks? ;)

probably shoot for a solid 2 here. All around vision, unbalanced stats and a permanent mirror image ability are really hella powerful. Plus it get's 2 attacks for free and improved grab. 2 is a good number.

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
I’ve posted a thread in the Rules forum asking about this (http://65.127.163.19/showthread.php?t=83831). I think it’s ready, except for this part:

and here is what I have worked out so far, tell me if this sounds good:

Illusions (Su): A tirapheg can create two illusory duplicates of itself at the same time, as a standard action. The duplicates are partially real, and appear to be the same as the original. These duplicates remain under the tirapheg’s absolute command at all times, through a telepathic link. The duplicates may take a standard action in the melee round they are created, and always take their actions on the tirapheg’s initiative.

This is a mind-affecting effect. The save DC is (Charisma?)-based.

At the instant a tirapheg creates these duplicates it generates a split-second flash of dazzling light, which affects all creatures in a 30-foot radius that can see the tirapheg as a lesser confusion spell. This effect conceals the sudden appearance of the illusions, and a tirapheg cannot use it at any other time. There is no saving throw for this effect.
Sounds good. Cha-based makes the most sense to me.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
If we base it on Charisma, should we up the Cha score?

OK, here is what I’m working with now:

Illusions (Su): A tirapheg can create two illusory duplicates of itself at the same time, as a standard action. The duplicates are made of material from the Plane of Shadow and are partially real, and appear to be the same as the original. The duplicates have no hit points and are unaffected by any form of attack. They have the same Armor Class as the tirapheg, and may appear to take damage if struck. The duplicates otherwise have the same statistics as the tirapheg, except that they cannot likewise create more illusions.

These duplicates remain under the tirapheg’s absolute command at all times, through a telepathic link. The duplicates may take a standard action in the melee round they are created, and always take their actions on the tirapheg’s initiative. These illusions disappear only at the tirapheg’s will, or when the tirapheg is killed. The tirapheg may only create and maintain two duplicates at a time.

Any creature that interacts with the duplicates can make a Will save (DC X) to recognize their true nature. Any creature that makes a successful Will save cannot be harmed by a duplicate; objects automatically succeed on their will saves. The duplicates deal normal damage to creatures that believe they are real. This is a mind-affecting effect. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Yeah, up the Con score. Maybe to 13?

Should we have a caster level for the effect (for dispelling purposes, for example)? Otherwise, the ability looks great!

Shade

Monster Junkie
Oops again. I'd swear it was Monday rather than Friday the way I've been functioning today!

As for the dispelling, I meant only for the lesser confusion effect, though its duration is so short it probably doesn't matter.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
ah, i see what you mean now. and yeah, dispelling is probably irrelevant - unless you were travelling with a rather spellcaster-heavy group (and even then...) by the time anyone got around to dispelling it, it would be over anyway. :)

and i'll raise the Cha to 13 - the DC will still be pretty low, but all things considered, it's probably better that way. :D

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
OK, time to finish up…

We going with Leo’s +2 LA?

Looks like they had 22 skill points under old rules, but now they only have 10. how about:
Skills: Hide +3, Jump +3, Listen +2, Search +0, Spot +2
(also +4 all-around vision bonus)

A tirapheg is 7 feet tall, and weighs about (maybe 50-100 pounds more than a human).

Remove ads