• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sensory Feats

Belbarid

First Post
I'm playing a character in a Midnight campaign, and I'm trying to come up with sense-enhancing feats. I took Scent in his heroic path, and for feats took Improved Scent and Uncanny Scent from Savage Species. He's got really good Spot/Listen scores, but I'd like to flesh out the unnatural senses bit with some feats.

Alertness, Skill Focuses, and Blind Fight all sprang to mind immediately. I may take Blind Fight, but the rest seem so... obvious.

I looked at Hear The Unseen out of Complete Adventurer, and it made no sense to me- seemed like an easy way of giving your opponents a +15 bonus to Move Silently checks.

Druids can get some interesting sense-type feats in the Wild Feats section of CA, but I don't have Wildshape, so that's out.

There's Quick Reconnoiter out of CA, but I'm a little unsure of why that one should be a feat. Spot check as a free action? What am I missing?

I could *probably* convince the DM to include Skill Tricks from Complete Scoundrel, and there are a few cool Spot-based tricks there.

Can anyone think of something I'm missing? No magic items, and probably no PrC's either, although if it's a good Ranger-type PrC, maybe.

Zurai

First Post
Belbarid said:
There's Quick Reconnoiter out of CA, but I'm a little unsure of why that one should be a feat. Spot check as a free action? What am I missing?

Normally Spot and Listen checks are move actions.

avigor

First Post
Plus in theory, your DM might just give you the full active spot/listen rather than using the passive bonuses if you have Quick Reconnoiter; that'll make detection easier.

Improved Initiative or Danger Sense come to mind if you like the idea of having super-fast reactions.

avr

First Post
Have you considered a Horizon Walker? I know you said PrCs are iffy, but Horizon Walkers are Rangers with a twist (terrain mastery vs. favoured enemy). Also, they can get darkvision 60' (or 120' if you already have it) if they get underground terrain mastery.

Belbarid

First Post
avr said:
Have you considered a Horizon Walker? I know you said PrCs are iffy, but Horizon Walkers are Rangers with a twist (terrain mastery vs. favoured enemy). Also, they can get darkvision 60' (or 120' if you already have it) if they get underground terrain mastery.

I had considered Horizon Walker for the Darkvision and the Blindsense at a higher level. Plus, it's appropriate, as this character has already been through most of the non-Planar terrains listed in the PrC.

The only thing I don't like (and this is stupid) is that Endurance is such a *pointless* feat. You get a bonus to saves that most DMs don't make you roll, IME. And a Wildlander (the Midnight equivalent of a Ranger) doesn't get it for free.

That being said, I like it. Hills, Plains, and Underground would be a +4 Spot, +4 Listen, and Darkvision.

Belbarid

First Post
avigor said:
Plus in theory, your DM might just give you the full active spot/listen rather than using the passive bonuses if you have Quick Reconnoiter; that'll make detection easier.

Improved Initiative or Danger Sense come to mind if you like the idea of having super-fast reactions.

I do, and Improved Initiative is a freebie option when I level next.

Seriously thinking about it, too.

Vorput

First Post
Belbarid said:
I had considered Horizon Walker for the Darkvision and the Blindsense at a higher level. Plus, it's appropriate, as this character has already been through most of the non-Planar terrains listed in the PrC.

The only thing I don't like (and this is stupid) is that Endurance is such a *pointless* feat. You get a bonus to saves that most DMs don't make you roll, IME. And a Wildlander (the Midnight equivalent of a Ranger) doesn't get it for free.

That being said, I like it. Hills, Plains, and Underground would be a +4 Spot, +4 Listen, and Darkvision.

I agree, but remember- Rangers pick up endurance for free at third level anyway... so... it sort of evens out (and diehard- which has endurance as a pre-req is a VERY nice feat).

avigor

First Post
Yeah, but he's in a Midnight campaign, where the ranger-equivalent doesn't get Endurance.

So Endurance is basically worthless to him except as a prereq.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads