• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sentinel -homebrew core class for Midnight

Uruush

First Post
I am starting up my Midnight campaign soon. One of the players had a character concept that didn't seem to fit any of the available core classes very well. I am relatively new to D&D though I've been roleplaying for 23 years - I'm not crazy about the whole concept of classes to begin with, so I started with the idea that he could play whatever he wanted, and I would find a way to make it work.

I then saw it as an opportunity to create a class that would fit into the Midnight setting, and make sense, rather than some multiclass kludge job. Defenders make a lot of sense in the setting, with Fighters and Barbarians generally filling the role of combat types that are overtly against the Shadow and therefore trained in and equiped with armor. My player wanted to create a armorless warrior-monk type but equipped with a sword instead of being an unarmed-combat type. His model is Wong Fei Hung, (although he will be an Erenlander), and he is choosing Philosopher as his Heroic path. Anyway, this is my first cut at it. I see it as the missing "Prestige class that begins at 1st level" i.e. the Paladin. I will likely add some multiclassing restrictions and define the code of conduct better. I welcome any comments, particularly on the balance relative to the other Midnight classes. As a point of reference, you should know that I improved the Wildlander somewhat to mirror the 3.5 Ranger improvements.

Sentinel

Across central Erenland, there are known to be a few heroes who, like Defenders, have vowed to fight the Shadow and his forces. Possession and use of armor or martial weapons by most, is an offense severely punished. For those who move in areas controlled wholly by the Shadow’s minions, however, it is easier to hide a weapon than to conceal that one is armored. Unlike Defenders, who make weapons of their bodies, and who are masters of unarmed combat, Sentinels are those who master a sword art called Seeing. Seeing, or ‘Idaia' in the Erenlander tongue, emphasizes quickness of mind, and freedom of limb which the use of armor would prohibit. It was developed in the middle of the Second Age sometime after the Concave of Kings and was composed of elements from both Dornish and Sarcosan sword arts.
A Dornish warrior named Alviss of Highwall was one of the earliest and greatest practitioners of ‘Idaia’. Alviss founded the school where ‘Idaia’ was taught, and the fighting style and the code that accompanies it have been passed down though the centuries by those known as Sentinels.
Sentinels are warriors devoted wholly to their sword art and to its application against those who do evil, particularly those whose act against learning, or who discourage freedom of action or freedom of thought. At times in Eredane’s history, some Sentinels formed societies that were the martial arm of the Scholar’s Academy in Highwall, and other centers of learning. Sentinels wandered across Eredane teaching their fighting art to those few who showed promise, and teaching many others to read and to make letters. Some Sentinels were valued as teachers and healers, others were great philosophers. Everywhere, they were known as champions of justice. In the Last Age, there are only a few Sentinels remaining. These few are champions of the oppressed and the ignorant. Like Defenders, they wear no armor, but their swords are never far from their side. Many Sentinels wear dark, loose clothing and/or cloaks to hide their treasured weapons.
Sentinels are similar to Defenders in other aspects – alignment, background, code of conduct, etc.

Game Rule Information

Sentinels have the following game statistics.
Abilities : Sentinels are seekers of knowledge, and PC Sentinel’s heroic paths tend towards the cerebral. The Idaia sword art is a defensive style based on intelligent anticipation of one’s enemies’ intent. Dexterity is important for Sentinels because the Idaia art prohibits the use of armor. As with Fighters, Strength is also a prime attribute.
Alignment : Any non-evil.
Hit Die : d10
Starting Gold : 5d4 gp

Class Skills

The Sentinel’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Craft (Int), Heal (Wis), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Int) (all skills, taken individually), Profession (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex).

Skills at First Level : (2 + Int modifier) x 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level : 2 + Int modifier.

Class Features

All the following are class features of the Sentinel.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Sentinels are single-minded in their weapon training and are proficient only with their choice of two of the following weapons: Short Sword, Longsword, Scimitar, or Bastard Sword (wielded two-handed as a martial weapon).
Like Defenders, Sentinels are not proficient with armor or shields, but their Idaia training gives them some additional AC bonus through their defensive and anticipatory combat style. Unlike Defenders, however Sentinels do not retain this bonus at any time were they would lose their Dex bonus to AC.
The Sentinel’s practice of Idaia allows them additional abilities as they progress in their training, but they lose these abilities if they don armor.

The Sentinel

[the table won't paste in properly] BAB progression like Fighter; Saving throws like Rogue; Weapon Focus and Mind over Metal at 1st level; Weapon Specialization at 4th level; Sentinel abilities at 2,5,8,11,14,17,20; Seeing +1, +2, +3 etc. at 7th, 10th, 13th, 16th, and 19th level. Additional AC bonus as follows 0,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,3,4,4,4,5,5,5,6,6,6,7.

Mind over Metal : At 1st level, having learned the rudiments of the Idaia fighting style, Sentinels gain the ability to anticipate attacks if they are alert. When unarmored and unencumbered, the Sentinel adds their Intelligence bonus (if any) to their AC. At 2nd level and beyond, the Sentinel receives additional bonuses to their AC, using techniques similar to those of Defenders. Unlike Defenders, (or Monks), Sentinels lose all bonuses to their AC if they are flat-footed, or anytime they lose their Dex bonus to AC. A Sentinel must be wielding a weapon they are proficient in to gain these bonuses: a Sentinel who is not vigilant is often a dead one.

Seeing : At 7th level and beyond, a Sentinel’s sword art make them more difficult to catch off guard, trip, or make the victim of almost any unorthodox combat tactic. Further, they themselves are more able at turning the table on their foes in this regard. When they wield their preferred weapon, the Sentinel gains the stated bonus in opposed checks to the following special attacks: Bull Rush, Disarm, Feint, Grapple (most often to avoid), Sunder, Trip, or Overrun.

Sentinel ability : At 2nd level and every third level thereafter, Sentinels may choose an additional Feat from the following list: Blind-Fight, Cleave, Combat Expertise, Combat-Reflexes, Dodge, Great Cleave, Greater Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Specialization, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Critical, Improved Disarm, Improved Feint, Improved Initiative, Improved Overrun, Improved Sunder, Improved Trip, Mobility, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Spring Attack, Whirlwind Attack.

If you read this far, thanks! I would like to find a way to add more skill points, or possibly improve the Will saves, but I'm worried I would then have to take something away to balance it. One version gave the Sentinel Decipher Script until I noticed that not even the Channeler gets that.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads