D&D 5E Sentinel+Polearm Master+Quarterstaff+Lance+Mount?

faria

First Post
It has just occurred to me that PCs can wield both a Quarterstaff and a Lance at the same time (while mounted). So...

How would these all interact: Sentinel+Polearm Master feats when wielding a Quarterstaff in one hand and a Lance in the other?

"While you are wielding a Glaive, Halberd, Pike, or Quarterstaff, other creatures provoke an Opportunity Attack from you when they enter your reach."

If your reach is 10ft from the Lance, and you're wielding a Quarterstaff, can you attack them at 10ft range and trigger Sentinel? If they get into 5ft range somehow, then can you attack with Quarterstaff and get the bonus action 1d4 attack too? Seems like this is a very weird, but doable combo.

This seems especially nice for Small size Beastmasters who can't use Heavy weapons, but can mount their pets.

bid

First Post
If your reach is 10ft from the Lance, and you're wielding a Quarterstaff, can you attack them at 10ft range and trigger Sentinel? If they get into 5ft range somehow, then can you attack with Quarterstaff and get the bonus action 1d4 attack too? Seems like this is a very weird, but doable combo.
None of that works:
- you get a single reaction per round,
- OA is a single attack,
- bonus action is on your turn only.

zaratan

First Post
and RAI, you need to attack with the polearm in polearm master AoO. But well, with a very nice DM you can have that part.

sulimo0310

Explorer
I hate to be "that guy", but bid and zaratan, I am pretty sure you're mistaken and the OP is correct. Unless, of course, sleep deprivation has destroyed my reading comprehension. Which it is prone to do.

Bid, you seem to be laboring under the false impression that faria is trying to accomplish all of this in one Opportunity Attack. They way I understand his question is that, well it's two separate questions, asking about two separate parts of the round. The first question : If he makes an OA with the lance as the target enters his 10 ft reach (triggered by polearm master), does the sentinel effect trigger (presumably the one about stopping the targets movement)? Assuming that is the question the answer is most definitely yes. Those two feats play very nice with one another. Very nice indeed. His second question, I believe, was asking about what he would do on his action. Not reaction. I assume he is saying if the target somehow gets within 5 ft of him (say, because he missed his OA and the targets movement was not stopped) could he then, on his turn, use his action to attack with the quarterstaff, and gain a bonus action from polearm master. The answer to that question is also yes. Now if he was asking can you do all that in one reaction, or can he make multiple Opportunity Attacks, the answer is of course no. An OA uses your reaction and you can only have one reaction per round.

As for your response, zaratan, I would like to point out that both weapons the OP mentions ARE in fact polearms, at least as far as D&D 5e is concerned. Both are mentioned by name in the polearm master feat.

As for your response, zaratan, I would like to point out that both weapons the OP mentions ARE in fact polearms, at least as far as D&D 5e is concerned. Both are mentioned by name in the polearm master feat.

Actually, PAM lists only glaives, halberds, pikes, and quarterstaffs. Lances are NOT compatible with PAM.

zaratan

First Post
[MENTION=6801590]sulimo0310[/MENTION], lance isn't a polearm, is a "special" and "reach" weapon. Polearms that can trigger AoO with the feat are: "glaive, halberd, pike or quarterstaff", and pike can't trigger the bonus action attack.

I have preatty much sure that he was saying about out of his turn, first because he said about AoO of polearm master, and latter he said about trigger sentinel, that you only can do with a AoO, not with your action.
If he was talking about he action, he wouldn't say: "If they get into 5ft range somehow", because he simply can move to 5ft.
[MENTION=6780042]faria[/MENTION], one more thing, if you use a reach weapon, now your reach is 10ft, target don't provoke any AoO if they move inside your reach, so they will not trigger an attack when they move 10ft to 5ft. Even if you use one reach weapon in one hand and a 5ft weapon in other, the only reach will count now is the 10ft.

But in your turn, if you have extra attack, you can attack with a lance, move foward attack with a quarterstaff and than get the bonus action from polearm master, but doesn't worth because your damage will be 1d12 +1d6 +1d4 (+mods), and with a glaive would be 2d10 +1d4 (+mods), and all your attacks would have reach and you could get great weapon master/fighting.

ranger beastmaster still will be one of the worst class possible (thinking in optimization), better go for paladin with find steed.

sulimo0310

Explorer
Well as I mentioned, I was tired and sleep deprivation was a factor. I concede the point. By the way, I was never trying to imply this was in anyway optimal. A glaive (or halberd) would of course be superior mathematically. They just can't be wielded effectively by small pcs. Which is the whole point of the OP. Beastmaster is of course pitifully underpowered as a subclass. The only reason to play one is because a character concept you want requires the flavor of the bond between pet and ranger. And a ranged Beastmaster riding a flying mount ( talenta halfling on a pteradon in an Eberron campaign perhaps) can be quite effective and flavorful, if not optimized for dpr.

faria

First Post
Wow, this kinda blew up. They were 2 separate questions. I'll rephrase to clarify.

1) If your reach is 10ft from the Lance, and you're also wielding a Quarterstaff, and you have the Polearm Master feat, can you OA them at 10ft range with your Lance instead of your Quarterstaff to trigger Sentinel? Or does the Polearm Master feat require the OA be done with one of the polearms it mentions? The feat doesn't mention specific polearms in the OA part of it so I think this would work RAW.

2) As your action on your turn (not OA on their turn), you'll probably just attack them with the Lance. But if they get into 5ft range somehow, can you attack them with Quarterstaff (instead of Lance because Lance gets disadvantage in 5ft range) and also get the bonus action 1d4 attack too? I think this is ok too RAW.

The point of this combination of unusual weapons is to profit from the high hit die of a Lance, but never be stuck with Lance's disadvantage at 5ft range. Polearm Master+Sentinel is a known fantastic combo, but you can't do it with Lance...unless you're also wielding one of the specified weapons in the Polearm Master feat. Dual wielding allows us to fulfill this requirement. Now we can stop people with our Lance+Sentinel at 10ft range thanks to the OA provided by Polearm Master while also doing acceptable damage at 5ft range if an enemy makes it past our 10ft Sentinel.

1. PAM's OA would come into play when the creature enters the reach of the quarterstaff, meaning that it only comes in at 5'. It's been clarified on Twitter that the RAI of the OA is only to be done with the weapons listed in the feat.

2. This is perfectly viable. You can get the bonus attack from PAM with a quarterstaff wielded in one hand.

Remove ads