• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Sept] What Are You Reading?

Doing a lot of reading at the moment.

The Light Fantastic and Soul Music by Terry Pratchett. (Need to pick up Thud sometime soon...)

Young Jedi Knights: Jedi Under Siege by Kevin J. Anderson and Rebecca Moesta...rereading a few of these in this series to make sure I've got the details of the time period right for my new Story Hour. Its been so long since the game and reading the books that I've gotten fuzzy on a lot of things.

Also starting through the New Jedi Order books again for the same reason, but this time planning ahead for where one of the Story Hours is going to be a while from now. I.e. Another excuse to read them again. :)

Zulithe

Explorer
After countless posts full of positive fervor regarding GRRM's A Song of Ice And Fire series, I picked up the first two in hardcover. I'm working my way through A Game of Thrones (but am withholding commentary until I'm finished!) I will say that I'm hooked enough to order the third one already. The fourth one comes out on my birthday. What a present that'll be. ;)

A few of my friends are trying to convince me to read Eragon and Eldest, but the amazon.com reviews really changed my mind. And I thought Harry Potter was a hack job! I flipped through a copy and noticed he even went so far as to name one of his mountain ranges "The Spine". Sound familiar? I'll be steering clear of Paolini.

Last edited:

Michael Tree

First Post
I'm currently reading Elantris, and it's just as good as all the reviews say. Best of all, it's an epic story in a single volume, which is almost unheard of in fantasy these days. I have limited reading time, and I've gotten to the point where if I see a new book and it says "part 1 of the blah blah blah" I immediately lose all interest and go onto something else. Such book has to come highly recommended for me to actually consider reading it.

Next up... probably Anansi boys by Neil Gaiman, or maybe A Spirit of Grace by Mary Doria Russell.

Last edited:

GrayIguana

First Post
Cthulhu's Librarian said:
I envy you. I'm really enjoying rereading the books in anticipation of the new on in November, but I always miss that sense of wonder from reading an excellent book for the first time.

Yeah, I had a great time reading this book. I've even gone back to re-read favorite parts. On one hand I wish I had known about the book(s) earlier, but on the other hand it is nice that I now have 3 more books to dive into. Unfortunately, I have some personal / work projects that will probably keep me from reading for a couple months.

Someone also just mentioned that they passed on Eragon to read Game Of Thrones. I also just finished Eragon. At the time, I didn't think it was that bad. I've definately read worse, but that isn't much of an endorsement.

Starman

Adventurer
I just finished The Wind-up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami and now I'm reading James Ellroy's L.A. Confidential. Murakami's book was just as weird and surreal as the first book of his I read, Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, but I enjoyed it. Ellroy's style took some getting used to, but it's good, as well.

Wild Gazebo

Explorer
Coming Through Slaughter
Blood Sucking Fiends
The Te of Pigglet
Vernon God Little
And I'm going to start Salimar the Clown either tonight or tomorrow.

Pylar

First Post
Jordan

I'm probably gonna get flamed by everyone that visits this link..but I'm rereading the Robert Jordan Wheel of Time novels. Started about a month and a half ago, and now I'm about 1/2 through Winters Heart. So it looks like I'll get the series done by the time Knife of Dreams comes out. I just hope RJ doesn't let me down this time...I'm dreading rereading Crossroads of Twilight again as it is.

KaosDevice

Explorer
I just finished Callahan's Con by Spider Robinson last night. I got to admit, the whole Doc Webber situation made me a little misty there at the end. Still though a fun and funny read.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads