September DDI Update news

mudbunny

Community Supporter
[MENTION=56746]mudbunny[/MENTION], can you specifically ask if it has t he copy image capability, so I can populate my own (personal) documents? I like multiple monster stat blocks per page, coupled with a lot of other encounter-specific information. I use these sheets to run my encounters and 1 monster / page is a huge waste of paper.

I will ask.

Selganor

Adventurer
[MENTION=56746]mudbunny[/MENTION], can you specifically ask if it has t he copy image capability, so I can populate my own (personal) documents? I like multiple monster stat blocks per page, coupled with a lot of other encounter-specific information. I use these sheets to run my encounters and 1 monster / page is a huge waste of paper.
And even if the Monster Builder doesn't have an image export format, you can always take a screenshot and cut/copy the image yourself (if the statblock isn't too long)

NewJeffCT

First Post

Yes - agreed on the waste of paper. By cutting & pasting an RTF stat block into MS Word, I can usually play with the format enough so I can get 2+ monsters on a page. And, for a series of encounters with 8 monsters, I might be able to get it all on 3 pages instead of 8.

Alphastream

Adventurer
I've been using screen shots when I use the current online tool. Paste into Word, crop, no issues. But, RTF is far better. I posted on the WotC forums to try to get some additional information and/or explain what most DMs are trying to achieve. Interestingly, both WotC and LFR have strict guidelines for the RTF format... and that format is not the same as what the classic MB spat out as RTF. So, if they add RTF support (which would be great), they should support the WotC format guidelines.

Regardless, these changes are really very good. The value of DDI, which I already considered to be substantial, has increased dramatically. Having a good MB where I can have full editing control is a huge boon for me as a DM and organized play admin/author/editor.

Infiniti2000

First Post
I've been using screen shots when I use the current online tool. Paste into Word, crop, no issues. But, RTF is far better.
An image copy is far better, too. Your workaround takes significantly longer and consumes significantly more space on the drive (making saving/loading and especially printing take a lot longer). I don't want to keep resizing my window to make copying the monster easier, as that means the usability isn't there to being with.

I didn't like the RTF output of the original MB either. It was formatted a little off, used multiple tables (not just one) and made fitting into a two-column document difficult. The image works a lot better for me, unless they can improve the RTF version somehow.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
I'm bummed to hear that there's a 50 monster limit, but the export function means I can probably live with it. My adventures lately have five different versions of every monster (for use at level 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10), which will chew up those 50 slots fast. But I can export and save the XML when I'm done with each monster and re-import later if I need to edit them. Messy, but it will work.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
I think I'll stick to Power2ool for now. I like doing my editing in one text-editing swoop, rather than on six different tabs. Besides, the 50 monster limit would frustrate me to no end.

Just like the 20 character limit. :(

Remove ads