• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[September] What are you reading?

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Just finished Perdido Street Station by China Miéville

China Miéville will be teaching a Master Class in my old MFA Creative Writing program at Roosevelt University in Chicago this year and giving a reading on November 5th, location TBA (due to the possibility that it should be well-attended). I'll try to remember to update this down the line but anyone interested should be sure to nudge me in late October for more details.

Richards

Legend
I'm reading "The Samurai's Wife," by Laura Joh Rowland. It's the fifth (I believe) in a series about a samurai investigator, Sano, in feudal Japan. This time he's looking into a death that looks to have been caused by a kiai scream, and so far the evidence is pointing to a member of the Imperial family.

Johnathan

Jack7

First Post
My wife has had two major operations. She's fine and is recuperating, but I'm way behind on reading and research so I'm now catching up.

Books on CD:

A Life - biography of Paul McCartney, very good

The Silent Girl - fictional murder case

Land of the Silver Apples - YA book on a young boy training to become a Bard. Excellent work.

The One Minute Entrepreneur

Comics/Graphic Novels:

Batman - Gotham shall be Judged

Amazing Spiderman: the Movie Prelude

eBooks or Internet Library: none

Fiction:

Fate of Worlds - the end to Larry Niven's Fleet of Worlds sci-fi series. I've been looking forward to this eagerly for months.

The Seven Wonders - a great book about Gordianus the Finder and his mentor, the poet Antipater of Sidon (I've read his poetry), traveling to all Seven Ancient Wonders and at each wonder they encounter a mystery, problem, puzzle, or crime. Really enjoyable. Chock full of great ancient historical anecdotes.

Non-Fiction:

Inner River - a book on Eastern/Orthodox Christian Mysticism I'm really looking forwards to. Part of my studies of modern mysticism for the Priesthood.

Greek Fire, Poison Arrows and Scorpion Bombs - a book I'm re-reading as research for my Basilegate Novels. Kevin reminded me of it.

The Aleppo Codex - a detective/investigative work on a subject, the Aleppo version of the Bible from Syria (now in Israel for safe-keeping) that I've been wanting to know more about for years.

The Art of Intelligence - a book by one of the Clandestine Service's Operations Officers of the CIA. He was also counter-terrorism. He knows runs Crumpton, LLC. He seems really straight-up for a Company Man.

Mathematics and Plausible Reasoning - I'm re-reading this too. Haven't read it in years. But it is without a doubt the best book on mathematics I've read in a decade (it's in my personal library) and it has given me numerous new ideas on Number and Matter theory. Superb work.

The Art of Manliness: on living the 7 Manly Virtues - if you're a man and haven't read this, then do. As soon as possible. If you're a woman, this is how men should act.

The Historical Dictionary of Jesus - finishing up

The Crusades A to Z - finishing up

Inside the Minds of Mass Murderers - this is no mamby-pamby sociological theory treatise on criminology. It is a sober-eyed and useful look at such murderers and their habits and backgrounds. Very useful. Helping me develop my Mass Murderer Preemption Protocols.

No Apology: the Case for American Greatness - Mitt Romney's work on American exceptionalism

Gilladian

Adventurer
When you're done, move on to Bertie Wooster and Jeeves. Then give Connie Willis' "To say nothing of the dog" a try. Or look at the "first book" in the "series" - the Doomsday Book, first. But be aware, that one is NOT comedic, at all.

Nellisir

Hero
Just read The Dain Curse, by Dashiell Hammett. Have started A Reporter's Life, by Walter Cronkite, but don't know if I'll keep at it persistently. It might be more of a sporadic book. Doing a fair amount of reading for school, but not as much as in previous semesters.

Remove ads