• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sequence of a Mind Flayer attack

Da Man

Explorer
Ok, gotta a question. Here are the facts :

If a Mind Flayer hits w/one tentacle, it auto-initiates a grapple (i.e., does not have to make the normal touch attack)

Goes on to say that it may use its Grapple check to attach all of its tentacles at this point.

Then, finally, it says that if it has all Tentacles attached at the BEGINNING of a turn, it auto-extracts the juicy brain.

So, here are the questions :

1. How would the DM's out there rule on having an outside particpant attempt to pull a tentacle or two off?

2. With regard to 1 above, how do the rules work when one Person A is successfully Grappling/Pinning (it is a pin, as it works the same...requires Escape Artist check to get out of it) Person B. The, Person C comes in and attempts to Grapple Person A (the rules are quite clear with regard to Person C trying to join the grapple against Person B, but not Person A).

All constructive thoughts are appreciated!

Jones

mmu1

First Post
Pulling a tentacle off:

If I were going strictly by the rules, I'd call for another grapple check.

But IMC, I'd also allow the person to attack the Mind Flayer and force it to make a check (Concentration, probably) using the damage inflicted as a DC modifier.

Da Man

Explorer
Ok, not sure I understand either of those answers.

What do you mean use the 'aid section'? An outside character is trying to pull off 1 or 2 tentacles. I guess you may be saying that someone can join the melee and grant the current target (with the tentacles attached to him) a +2 bonus to his next Grapple/Escape Artist check. Is that so?

I guess I was hoping for something more aimed at resolving an issue where one pc is trying to yank a tentacle off (so it would be just that pc vs the mindflayer.) I was thinking about doing it similar to a trip, in that it would require a touch attack and then an opposing strength check, allowing one try per attack.

On the second answer, what would the results be of a failed Concentration check? I would be very interested in hearing more of this ruling.

Thank you both for replying.

mmu1

First Post
Da Man said:
Ok, not sure I understand either of those answers.

What do you mean use the 'aid section'? An outside character is trying to pull off 1 or 2 tentacles. I guess you may be saying that someone can join the melee and grant the current target (with the tentacles attached to him) a +2 bonus to his next Grapple/Escape Artist check. Is that so?

I guess I was hoping for something more aimed at resolving an issue where one pc is trying to yank a tentacle off (so it would be just that pc vs the mindflayer.) I was thinking about doing it similar to a trip, in that it would require a touch attack and then an opposing strength check, allowing one try per attack.

On the second answer, what would the results be of a failed Concentration check? I would be very interested in hearing more of this ruling.

Thank you both for replying.

I'd say the character trying to rip loose a tentacle needs to make a Grapple Check - roll a touch attack first, then resolve the Grapple between the character and the Mind Flayer, using extra attacks to make more Grapples as normal, if necessary. Since the Mind Flayer only uses one Grapple Check to attach all tentacles, and isn't using the "Grappling with a body part at -20" rule, I'd say that if the character wins the check, all of the tentacles come off.

The second answer, concerning Concentration, is purely how I would handle an alternate way of getting the Mind Flayer to stop feeding - have him make a Concentration check against a DC of 10+the damage taken, on a failure, he either doesn't get to suck out thje brain for one more round, or is forced to let go. (I'd probably go with "doesn't get to suck out the brain", and require an actual Grapple Check to detach the tentacles)

skymage

Explorer
i try to give options to my players so i have a couple of ways i'd let a pc help

1 aid another i always have all aiding pc roll and use the best result

a high strength fighter is going to have a better grapple check then a spell caster but if the fighter rolls low and the caster rolls high then the caster might get the better result even though the fighter has a higher bonus.

2 bull rush i would allow a bull rush followed by a strength check from the mind flayer to see if he can hold on to the pc

3 damage the tenticle problem is i would use the cover mechanic to see if the attacking pc would hit his friend if he missed the attack if he manages to hit the tenticle i would do a fort save or the mind flayer loses it and can't suck out brains for a few days

4 trip pretty much the samething as bull rush but the pc makes and oposed strength check to see if he stays up or falls down with the mindflayer

kreynolds

First Post
Da Man said:

Yup. If PC 2 wants to help PC 1 to keep his brain from the mind flayer that is try to rip it out of him, then PC 2 can help PC 1 in the grapple. That's what the aid another action (not "aid section") is for. If the problem is that you don't think the aid another action gives a big enough bonus, you could rule-0 and make it bigger, but I'd be careful with that, as it could get out of hand.

Da Man said:
I guess I was hoping for something more aimed at resolving an issue where one pc is trying to yank a tentacle off (so it would be just that pc vs the mindflayer.)

You mean there is only one PC and only one mind flayer, and nobody else in the encounter at all? I just want to be sure I understand the scenario you're putting forth.

mmu1

First Post
kreynolds said:

You mean there is only one PC and only one mind flayer, and nobody else in the encounter at all? I just want to be sure I understand the scenario you're putting forth.

He means that the 2nd PC (the one who isn't about to have his brain sucked out) doesn't want to use "Aid Another", but actually walk up to the Mind Flayer and rip his tentacles away from the 1st PCs head. If the grappled PC's initiative has already passed, and the Mind Flayer goes before him in the next round, Aid Another is completely useless. So it's up to the 2nd PC to try to break the grapple on his own.

Remove ads