Seravin's Tales of the Night Below (Two Updates this Week - 07/24/07)

Seravin

Explorer
More world tidbits

There are a couple things that I've alluded to that probably bear a bit more explaining at this point.

The first is that the Shtaran Empire and the lands it lays claim to are mostly human-centric. The imperial family has both human and elven blood running through it, but for the most part the lands in which the party finds themselves are human lands.

Other races can be found within the empire, usually as members of the merchant class or serving in the army.
The so-called evil humanoids are only known as threats that live in the lands to the North beyond the mountains. Occasionally an orc tribe will send traders south through Corlean, but it doesn't hanppen often and they rarely go far into imperial lands.

Finally, the Library is a near universal organization within the empire which exists to regulate wizards and to ensure that there isn't another time of no-magic. The enforcement is loose and usually only brought to bear against flagrant violaters. And while membership is 'encouraged', it is not mandatory - just helpful.

Seravin

Explorer
Investigations

Haralton is a small village of about one hundred people that lies about a half days walk south of Milbourne. The inhabitants of the area are mostly farmers who work the rich soil to provide food for themselves, the people of Milbourne, and the cities of Blasingdale and Corlean. Once a year they pay their taxes to Lord Carmon of Milbourne who in turn sends the monies onto Count Parlfray, who then pays it to the Imperial Assessors.

Unfortunately, over the last two years this cycle has started to change and not for the better. At first the change was gradual and even fortuitous. Two years ago the area was suffering a minor drought – except Haralton. The ground retained water and the crops looked to be especially good. As the year progressed though and the rains finally came, the ground still retained water. Slowly, good cropland transformed itself into a soggy swamp and gradually drove the farmers elsewhere. Now only a handful of farmers work the land around Haralton, and only around the fringes of the area they call New Mire.

All of this has naturally lowered the amount of monies that Lord Carmon receives and he has noticed. To that end he is offering 50gp each for up to two weeks of scouting to discover what is happening and the princely sum of 1000gp to stop whatever is causing it. Kestral, on the lookout for a new job hears about this and the group decides to petition for the job. Lord Carmon accepts, in no small part due to the recommendation of Garyld.

Thus three days after leaving Thurmaster, Ashimar, Jallarzi, Kellron, Kestral, and Panther all find themselves in Haralton asking questions, mostly to no avail. However Panther is able to dig up an interesting rumor about a boy named Brigger talking about blue giants somewhere in the mire.

It didn’t take Kestral or Panther long to find Brigger at the farm of his parents just outside of Haralton. The boy was about twelve years old and was pleased to see that somebody was interested in his tales. Brigger’s parents were less pleased, but the chores were done so there wasn’t much harm in the strangers talking to the boy.

“They were huge!” Exclaimed Brigger. “Easily twice as tall, maybe three times as tall as you.” He says pointing to Kellron. “They had big, iron shoes that looked all rusted and carried black, iron swords.” He looked conspiratorially at Kestral. “I don’t thing they were up to much good. I bet they were looking for people to kill and eat.”

Kestral eyed the boy with a practiced eye. There was no doubt in her mind that he was telling tales of some sort. “Why didn’t they eat you then?” She asks, keeping her disbelief out of her voice.

The boy puffed his chest. “’Cause I was hiding. I was fishing where Cutter Brook comes down from the hills. My uncle use to farm that area and all the best fish are in pool there. I got a couple good size ones too.” Brigger’s hands indicated the size of the fish. “It was getting dark and I was putting stuff away so I could get on home. That’s when I heard their footsteps. So I put myself under a bush so’s whatever was coming couldn’t see me.” He smiled. “It worked too, cause I saw them and they didn’t see me. All the other guys are jealous that I got to see blue giants now.”

“Mmhmm.” Says Panther doubtfully. “Three times as big as my friend here?” He asks, pointing to Kellron.

“Well, maybe not quite three times as big. Could have been twice. I am kind of little you know. Everything is big.”

“So twice as big as Kellron here? With iron boots and black swords?”

Brigger’s eyes were looking a little off to the side. “Well sure. That’s what I said. Of course it was getting dark and I was hiding under that bush. I might have mistook the size.”

Panther smiled. “That’s all right, it happens to all great adventurers at one time or another. “So blue men with iron boots and black swords? Are you sure they were blue?”

“Mister, that’s the one thing I am sure of. They were as blue as my mother’s eyes. And ugly too. As ugly as my sister when she wakes up.”

The five looked at each other. “How ugly is that?” Asks Panther.

“Very ugly. A big nose and wrinkly skin all over. And very big eyes.” The boy shudders. “I barely got out with my life, but one of them fell into the water while they was fish…. Oops.”

Panther nodded understandingly. “So they were fishing with iron boots and swords?”

Brigger looked down at the ground and scuffed the dirt with his shoe. “No sir. They had black boots.” He looked up at the half-elf. “But they could have been iron. I just wasn’t close enough to see it very well.”

“Iron it is then. What where they fishing with? A line and pole?”

“Spears. It’s why one of them fell in.”

Kestral fished a silver piece out of her pouch and flipped it towards the boy. “Thanks for the story. It was very inventive. Have you thought about being a bard?”

Brigger snatched the coin out of the air and looked at the pretty young woman in front of him, nearly his size too. He wasn’t quite old enough to understand why boys liked girls, but seeing Kestral brought him a little closer to it. Uncomfortable, he looked back at the farm house. “Th-thank you, miss. I got to go back and do chores now though. Bye.”

The five companions smiled as the boy ran back to the house, his mother waiting in the doorway for him. “Well. That was informative.” Said Kestral. “Shall we find Cutter Brook in the morning?” There was a murmur of agreement and the five headed back to the little boarding house where they planned on spending the night.

Morwyld

First Post
Very very interesting so far. I look forward to seeing what happened to the apprentice, if they ever find out.

Big blue guys, eh? Very cool indeed.

Keep up the great writing.

Seravin

Explorer
It's been a fun game. At this point the party is around second level.
Jallarzi has taken a level in wizard, splitting away from sorceror forever more.
Ashimar took a level in fighter and picked up weapon finesse with the rapier he uses.
Kestral, Kellron, and Panther all stayed single classed, though Panther's player eventually left the game.

This was all about a year ago in real time (and game time too, strangely enough). The party is now about fourteenth level and still hasn't happened across poor Jelenneth. However they have communed with the gods and have reason to believe she's still alive - so there's reason to hope for a rescue.

And thanks for the praise. It's nice to know other people are reading this. It makes it worth while.

Last edited:

Seravin

Explorer
Two days later

The five looked across the small valley formed by the rocky hills. The sun had just come up and they watched the guards move inside to escape the glare of the rising sun. “Goblins.” Says Kellron. “Related to orcs but not quite as tough. Mean though.”

It had taken the better part of a day to find the goblin cave, and most of it they had spend slogging through the swamp following the brook to its headwater. Fortunately it was a mostly boring trip, though they had an encounter with a snake that had almost bitten Kellron.

From there it was quick trip into the hills to discover the cave. Kestral’s sharp eyes had picked out a well trodden trail that led to this little valley and Ashimar had spotted the guards at the cave entrance. They had indeed been blue. Wisely they retreated a ways to spend the night elsewhere – with a very watchful guard.

Now it was morning and they were again at the mouth of the little valley. “I’ll go in.” Volunteered Ashimar. “I can scout around, maybe weaken them.” Ashimar is fairly confident about his abilities as the events of the past two weeks and some close practicing with Kellron has sharpened his fighting skills a bit; though Ashimar’s style with the fencing blade is very different then Kellron’s straight-forward military approach.

The party conferred a bit and looked at their resources. A potion that granted the ability to see in the dark was provided and Ashimar slowly snuck his way up to the entrance of the cave, making as much use of cover as he could. At the cave entrance he cautiously peered in. There were two goblin guards there and not very attentive. Making a fast decision, Ashimar charged, hoping to kill them before an alert could be raised.

Under Ashimar’s surprise assault, one of the goblins did indeed go down quickly. The other one was a hair quicker in recovering than Ashimar had counted on and ran squealing for help.

“Damn.” Thought Ashimar and he raced after the fleeing goblin. At a crossroads, it fled to the left and Ashimar followed until he managed to catch up. By this time help was arriving. Ashimar made short work of the goblin who had fled, but looking up he saw over a dozen charging towards him. Eyeing the distance, Ashimar let the lead one catch up to him, easily cutting it down, before he himself began his retreat. The young tough made it out into the light and down the valley before the goblins could gather the courage to leave the cave. He was behind a large rock before the goblins could even spot him.

“We could talk to them.” Suggested Kestral while the five conferred on what to do. The young woman was a genius and a natural linguist and rarely had trouble making friends.

“I just killed three of them.” Pointed out Ashimar.

Kestral shrugged. “Unless you want to go in there and fight them in their tunnels. You saw a dozen guards just down one tunnel?” She paused a moment. “They have a language of some sort. Maybe they understand orc or even the imperial trade tounge.”

“You speak orc?” Asked Kellron.

“Doesn’t everyone? I’ve picked up a lot of languages. A courier can’t know too many languages. It’s easier to get jobs that way.”

The five confer a bit more and then decide to follow Kestral’s course of action. Cautiously they approached the cave entrance again, this time without weapons drawn. Though Jallarzi had a magic missile in memory – just in case.

Kestral approaches the cave first this time, leading Kellron by about ten feet. “You. In the cave.” She calls out in passable orcish. The language is known by a few in the empire – especially by those who served in the northern armies. Kestral’s teacher had been a former soldier who had spent over a decade guarding the imperial borders in the north.

Cautiously a head peeked out of the cave with a spear raised; its yellow eyes blinking rapidly in the light of the overcast day. It was indeed a goblin, standing somewhere around the height of a short dwarf. The skin was indeed baggy, but instead of being the normal yellow for a goblin, it was painted a vivid blue. The same paint had been applied to its shock of dark hair on its head. The creature saw Kestral and her companions and grunted something in its native tongue.

“I don’t understand.” She grunted again in orcish. “Do you understand me?” Kestral was abusing the grammar horribly by not using the more confrontational adjectives – but she deemed she could get by without them.

“Go away.” Ordered the goblin warrior, raising his spear threateningly. “You cause enough problems.”

“We need to speak with your chieftain.” Explained the young courier.

“Go away, or we kill you.” The goblin was more emphatic this time.

“Fetch your chieftain.” Ordered Kestral more forcefully. “We would like to talk to him. We apologize for the problems we caused.”

The goblin warrior, Klipterup thought about it. If these crazy humans were the ones that killed the other three warriors, then Maglubiyet knew that he wasn’t going to stop them by himself. “Wait here.” He said and he ducked back inside the cave.

The party cooled their heels under the morning sky for about five minutes before a goblin voice called out in orcish from the darkness of the cave. “Come forward. No tricks or we kill you.”

Kellron lit a torch and the five companions moved forward cautiously into the cave mouth. Before them stood about a dozen goblins; most of them with leveled spears. In the center of the guards were two goblins a little fatter and better dressed then the others. The taller and obviously stronger of the two was wearing furs that had seen better days and had a passable short sword at his side. The other had further accented his furs and clothes with animal bones and had strange sigils sewn into his vest and carved into the simple staff that he carried; Ashimar’s and Kestrals’s practiced eyes also caught sight of a strange looking ring worn on the shaman’s left hand. All of the goblins were painted blue.

“Why do you come here and kill my warriors?” Demanded the chieftain in orcish.

Kestral stepped forward a little bit. “We’re sorry about that. We were trying to find out why the marsh was growing in the lands below the hills. We had also heard tales of strange blue creatures threatening people about here.” Kestral almost missed it, but the shaman’s left hand flexed a little bit at the mention of the rising marsh.

“Why does that give you the right to kill my warriors?” Demanded the goblin chief. “We’ve been here two winters now and hurt no one. We just fish and stay out of you big one’s way.”

‘Yes.’ Thought Kestral. “That was a mistake.” Explained the woman. She was a natural diplomat and was working her hardest to win the chieftain over. “We’re sorry.” She had to use the human word for sorry as the orcish language didn’t contain the word as far as she knew. “We can make it up to you.”

Grundlegek was not a fool. He had led this band of goblins for over fifteen years; from the time of terror, through the flight, and most recently through the time in these hills near the lands of the surface. Grundlegek was a survivor of the first magnitude and part of that included the ability to see opportunities and the courage to take them. “How?” He asked suspiciously. “The warriors you killed were valuable to our caves.”

“How valuable?” Asked Kestral.

The chieftain looked at his goblin guards for a moment and then at the five surface-worlders before him. With a nod of his head he sent his guards back a few feet and motioned his shaman to come with him.

“50 pieces of gold.” Said the chieftain. “Each.”

Kestral snorted and the negotiations began. In the end it was decided that each of the slain goblins was worth ten gold each. Additionally, upon hearing that the goblins had been subsisting mostly on fish threw in their entire supply of travel rations, excepting what they thought they needed to get back to Haralton. It wasn’t enough to feed the entire tribe, but it was a nice touch and one Grundlegek seemed to appreciate. Additionally Kestral managed to arrange to speak to the shaman, Burukkleyet, alone.

“What do you know about the swamp?” She asked the canny old shaman.

“Nothing.”

“You’re lying.” Kestral’s voice turned sweet. “Come on. It’s just you and me. What could it hurt to tell? It has something to do with the ring, doesn’t it?” It was mostly intuition on her part, but Kestral had noticed that the shaman kept touching while she was negotiating with the chieftain –especially after she had mentioned the growing marshlands.

Burukkleyet considered for a moment. “I’m not sure.” He finally admitted. There was something about the human girl that he found trustworthy. It was disturbing, but there it was. “I found it on our journey here.” He showed her the ring. It was a platinum band with a design on the top in the form of a circle with two wavy lines in the center, one atop the other. To left of the symbol was a pale blue stone, perhaps sapphire.

Kestral nodded. “The marsh started to rise about the time you and your people arrived.”

“We know. We thought we’d be able to live off the farmlands as well as the fish, but the farmers left shortly after we arrived.” The shaman looked a little resigned at this. “The fishing has been good though.”

“What would you give for that ring?”

The shaman looked offended at the suggestion. “This ring? It has powerful magic and all in the tribe know it. The tribe would lose heart if I gave the ring away.”

“But you don’t even know what it does.”

And again the negotiations started. This time it went harder and Kestral had to confer with her companions several times. Eventually though she and the shaman came to an agreement.

“One magical item then. As a gift to you so your people know that your powers are still strong and a duplicate of the ring so no one knows of the change.”

Burukkleyet nodded, again resigned. The woman bargained hard.

The party spends the rest of the morning with the goblins, with Kestral trying to get Burukkleyet to teach her some of the goblin tongue. She is unable to find out where the goblins came from originally, only that they traveled a long way underground to escape some terrible fate. When the sun is high the group begins to make their way to Haralton, arriving only a little after sundown.

“No weapons.” Warns Kellron. “We’re not going to arm them so they can fight the villagers.” The party agrees with Kellron’s request.

“Maybe we can get them to trade for what they need with the villagers.” Suggests Kestral; although what the goblins could trade she doesn’t know. Those thoughts were for another time though. In the meantime they needed to get that ring. A thousand gold pieces depended upon it.

Seravin

Explorer
A Return to Blasingdale

From Haralton the party went to Milbourne in the morning and checked in with Garyld and Lord Carmon to let them know of the goblins and to inform the pair that the group needed to go to Blasingdale for research and to meet with people at the Library and that they would be back soon. Garyld was quite interested in the news of the goblins and that they had been there for two years without anyone noticing. On a whim the group also found Old Grizzler, the dwarf to see if he could make a ring of the sort they needed. Old Grizzler couldn’t but recommended his cousin in Blasingdale. “A fine jeweler she is.”

Two days later, as the sun was making its way down, the five companions found themselves back in the town of Blasingdale. Rumors and stories of a recovered dwarven Lor, Khundrukar, filled the common room of the inn they had decided to stay at. The Lor now stood in ruins and had been inhabited by orcs of all creatures, and whispers told of these orcs serving some dark beast in the depths of the halls. Mercenaries hired by Ker Lordan of the Lordan Trading House though had put down the orcs and the beast. There were still rumors of orcs roaming the hills and mountains but people were confident that Baron Althon and the Imperial Guard would take care of things. Besides the town was busy preparing for the upcoming mid-summer festival. The party ignored the stories though and made immediately for the Library.

“This way.” Pointed Kestral towards a rather imposing two-story building sitting on a well-trimmed lawn. “The Library. Master Kiel should be able to sell us something.” The rest of the group nodded in anticipation. Everyone knew that the mages of the Library could enchant anything. How hard could it be? Even the doorknocker on the front door was enchanted to question and announce visitors.

Twenty minutes later they had inkling. “An enchanted item? My dear people, we don’t have those lying around. Commissioning one of those will take time and money. Significant money.”

“How significant?”

“Not less then one thousand gold lions.” Said Master Kiel. “Unless you’re looking for a potion of some sort?” No one gasped but until they could prove that the ring the goblin shaman wore had caused the creation of the swamp, they wouldn’t get that kind of money. Of course they couldn’t prove that until they got the ring and they wouldn’t get the ring until they traded over a magic item for it first. For which they needed the thousand gold.

“Unless,” Started Master Kiel, gaining everyone’s full attention. “It is possible we might be able to work out a deal?”

“What kind of deal?” Asked Jallarzi suspiciously.

“We have a problem.” Started Master Kiel. “The Library that is.” He clarified. “One of our members seems to be incommunicado. Or something.” His tone was slightly worried and hopeful. “Would you be willing to try and contact him?”

“Why don’t you guys do it?”

Master Kiel looked somewhat frustrated. “Protocol more than anything else. He’s in his sanctum as far as we can tell and as member of the Library we are pledged not to invade his private areas without invitation. You on the other hand have no such restriction.”

The companions looked at each other and then at the Master of the Blasingdale Library with some suspicion but in the end, necessity drove them. “We’ll be here in the morning after we run some errands.” Says Kellron.

“Excellent.” Smiled Master Kiel. “In the morning it is.” He paused thinking of something suddenly. “Now that that is concluded, what sort of magic item was you thinking of? Some enchantment for your armor perhaps?” He asked looking at Kellron.

Kellron shakes his head. “No. Nothing offensive but something we can give to someone else.”

Kiel looked confused but shrugged his shoulders. “Very well. A magic cloak perhaps? Enchanted to ward off spells? We do something similar for the senior guardsmen of the town.”

“That’ll do.” Says Kellron.

The party then spent the rest of what remained of the day running around the city. Their first order of business was to find Old Grizzler’s cousin and commission her to create a ring to Kestral’s specifications. Fortunately she had taken a small imprint of the ring before leaving the shaman. Afterwards Kestral went to West Hill, a district in town where sages and their ilk were known to be for hire. She immediately found and ingratiated herself with one part-time teacher/sage and convinced him to teach her a few words of the goblin tongue. She walked away with a small chapbook of known goblin words and phrases.

Meanwhile Panther and Ashimar went looking through the city on the off chance that they could find a magical item somewhere. They were eventually led to a small shop off the main market street. The owner, one Ableton did indeed claim to have a magical item that he would be willing to part with – a pair of fine leather gloves that relieved his arthritis. But he would only part with them for the price it would take to commission the Library to make another pair; 4000 gold lions. Regretfully they had to walk away, but Ashimar privately vowed to somehow come up with the funds.

In the morning the five companions arrived at the Library of Corlean, were announced by the golden, lion-headed doorknocker, and directed to meet Master Kiel on the second floor “Mind the purple step – it might explode.” Warned the doorknocker.

Once upstairs Master Kiel showed them the great black stone arch, standing almost ten feet high and nearly as wide. It was filled with a gray smoke that was impossible to see through. “Just step inside and you’ll find yourself in Master Laaris’ sanctum.” Explains Master Kiel. “Just find him and let him know we’re worried. If he’s in trouble or hurt, do whatever you can to aid him.”

One by one the five companions stepped through the gray shrouded archway and disappeared.

Last edited:

Seravin

Explorer
Interlude

Master Laaris of the Library was fairly non-descript as wizards go. He dressed comfortably, kept mostly to himself, and followed those strictures of the Library as he thought was wise. His interest and specialties were in conjurations and planar mechanics; of which he was considered to be one of the foremost authorities still alive today. Because of his specialty he was granted one of the deep cysts for his lab and quarters – a cavern (located somewhere) with no entrance or exit save the single gate that linked it with the rest of the Library, and three other very specific gates that allowed only the passage of water, waste, and air.

Three months ago Master Laaris came across the existence of a bizarre creature called a hakeashar, located in some strange realm and possessing the ability to consume magic. Being a competent and wise practitioner of magic he did not immediately attempt to summon one. Instead he brought it to the attention of his peers along with his stated intent so summon one for study. Naturally there was much consternation from his peers, for if such a creature was set loose in the Library proper there was no telling the havoc it would cause. Master Laaris pointed out that such a creature would almost certainly consume the magics around the gates leading out of his cyst though – effectively trapping it if anything untoward happened. Permission to summon the creature was granted. Sadly no one thought to question how Master Laaris came across the existence of the creature. All of them, including Master Laaris, would have been very surprised that the text he acquired describing the creature had been given to him by design.

The same magical text had omitted many things about the hakeashar. The book noted that hakeashars were intelligent, but failed to mention that they were cunning and above bargaining. It noted that hakeashars could consume magic, but failed to mention that was how they lived and showed no compunction in consuming all magic they came in contact with. It also noted that hakeashars came from a distant realm with planar coordinates that were seemingly only theoretically possible, but failed to mention that those same coordinates were also home to other, darker things. But then, those same darker creatures were the ones that arranged for Master Laaris to get the book.

Master Laaris was wiser and more patient then he was given credit for though. The implications inherent in a mobile, magic-eating creature were enough to make him consider thoroughly what he would need in order to successfully bind one. A standard magic circle probably wasn’t going to be enough.

Three days ago Master Laaris’ preparations were ready. Satisfied he, with the help of his senior apprentice, began the process of conjuring the creature. The coordinates were nonsense and the name of the creature was unpronounceable without first using alteration magic on his voice-box, but the conjuration worked. Ten minutes after the start of his spell Master Laaris had a bound hakeashar in his specially prepared summoning circle.

Two hours after the summoning, with all attempts of communication failing, Master Laaris sat down to supper with his senior apprentice. “Maybe it’s retarded.” He sighed. “We can try summoning another one on the morrow I suppose, if this one doesn’t become more tractable.”

Melisande, the apprentice, never had a chance to reply as both she and Master Laaris were surprised by the sudden materialization of what at first glance appeared to be an elf and four orcs. Instead Melisande had just enough presence of mind to notice the wisps of dissipating vapor around the five and think to herself Ethereal travel. Then the elf threw what appeared to be a rotted mushroom onto the table. The mushroom exploded in a riot of colored spores and then neither Master Laaris or senior apprentice Melisande were thinking at all.

Seravin

Explorer
The Library

Ashimar was the first through the gate, followed quickly by Kellron. Jallarzi was next, then Panther, and finally Kestral. The five found themselves in a darkened hallway, illuminated only dimly by the faintly glowing gray mist behind them. Jallarzi invoked a spell of light and the others blinked at the sudden illumination. They found themselves in a wide hallway made of well-fitted stone blocks; empty wall sconces dotted the hallway. A short ways down the hallway on their left was a doorway, opposite that on the right was a hall.

“Well, it looks peaceful enough…”
“Shhhh! Did you hear that?”
“Huh?”
“Rarrag!!!”

All but Ashimar was surprised as the distinctive snap of crossbows being fired filled the air; but then Ashimar had taught himself the language of the abyss from the book he had stolen and understood that ‘rarrag’ meant ‘attack’.

Following up with the crossbows, the attackers then made their way into Jallarzi’s sphere of light with jagged, curved swords. At first glance they appeared to be orcs, but their eyes were a solid scarlet red with no pupils, and instead of skin they were covered with delicate scales. The stench of sulphur and the demonic tongue confirmed for Ashimar that these things were from someplace far worse then the depths of a mountain. The young rogue quailed momentarily before finding his resolve.

Fortunately, demonic or not, the fight was over quickly. Both Ashimar and Kellron rushed to meet their attackers whilst Panther and Kestral tried to look for shots of their own with shortbow and crossbow respectively. Jallarzi took careful note of her targets and laid down a barrage of mystic bolts. In the aftermath Kellron prayed to Sarath for healing for both himself and Kestral while Ashimar drank from one of their precious healing potions.

“What are they?”
“Not orcs.”
“Demons. That’s all they could be.”
“What summoned them?”
“Master Laaris?”
“There might be more, we better check the hallway out first.”

The hallway extended about eighty feet, ending in a small sitting room with the remains of many, large books scattered about it. The furniture looked as if something had attacked it with swords. Just before the sitting room was another hallway leading to the left. The five companions conferred for a moment and eventually decided on exploring the door and then the short hallway first.

The door opened up into a kitchen and preparation room. Plates and pots and utensils were whirling madly about the room. Ashimar quickly shut the door. “I didn’t see anyone.” He declared.

The hallway across from them was short and ended at an ornate wooden double door. Both Ashimar and Kestral looked the doors over, thinking they were too inviting and then cautiously opened one of the doors. It was impossible to tell what the room really looked like as nearly every inch was covered in a riot of multi-colored molds. In the center of the room was a large mound, on top of which was a mushroom standing almost four feet tall and covered with even more mold. That door was closed slowly lest the displaced air disturbed something.

Another quick conference and the party decided to head down the last hallway. They proceeded cautiously down the stone corridor, expecting an attack at any moment; but none came. The corridor soon split and they chose the left hand path and went through the heavy stone door at the end.

It was a lab. Strange glassware filled with all sorts of colored liquids, were laid out on the tables and the scent of chemicals hung thick in the air. In one corner there was a pit of discolored sand filled with discolored bits of glass. On the far side of the chamber was an archway leading to another room. A dim, pulsating red light emanated from that far room.

Ashimar nodded towards the archway. “I’ll go check it out.” He whispered. So saying he moved forward, ghosting nearly silently over the discolored stone floor stones. He slowed downed as he reached the archway and peeked beyond. He saw a short hallway that opened up into another chamber, from which strange colored bits of string and metal were hanging from the walls and ceiling. A definite sense of something wrong filled the rogue. Mustering his courage though Ashimar crept past the hallway and into the chamber.

It was a summoning chamber. The book he had stolen had depicted several explicit diagrams that looked quite similar to the one in the far corner. Thought to be fair, the one in the far corner seemed to be inlaid with some black metal and not blood. The chamber itself was about thirty feet square and the strange bits of string and metal covered nearly every inch of the ceiling and walls.

The circle itself occupied the corner opposite the entrance and was about ten feet in diameter. The circle and the runes surrounding and entwining the circle had been carved into a solid slab of dull gray rock; then they had been filled in with the black metal. What really drew his attention however was the pulsating orb of red smoke, about four feet in diameter, hovering over the center of the circle. As he looked at it in fascination Ashimar saw a half dozen eyes form within the smoke; one of them looking directly at him. He nearly gasped as vicious claws also formed in the orb and raked outwards to the inner edge of the circle. Shaking his head a bit Ashimar looked the room over closely. Besides the creature in the circle the chamber appeared to be empty of life.

Noting a comfortable stuffed chair next to the circle, Ashimar cautiously entered the room. He was about halfway across when he heard a low chuckle and a pair of harsh sounding words. Suddenly an elf appeared as two missiles formed from raw magic streaked from his outstretched hand. The elf, dressed in strange black leathers, was positively demonic looking with bright red eyes, and the scales embedded in its skin reflected the pulsating red light darkly. The elf smiled, showing razor sharp teeth and shrugged his shoulders. Ashimar started as he realized that the elf wasn’t wearing a cloak, but instead had a pair of massive bat like wings folded in close to his body.

“Who are you, little human?” Asked the elf as he stepped forward. Again he let fly another pair of magic missiles. “Not that I care of course.”

“Guys!” Bleeding, Ashimar decided the better course of valor was back the way he came. Drawing his rapier he backed away out of the chamber. Meanwhile Kellron was already drawing his sword and Jallarzi’s hands raised up a little as they started towards their friend.

The elf miscalculated. He had heard a number of creatures enter, especially one in armor, but given his demonic heritage he was prone to over estimating his abilities. Concentrating he stepped sideways, vanished, and reappeared in the laboratory – nearly on top of Kellron.

The chosen of Sarath only had to look at the elf and then see the bleeding Ashimar round the corner to know what he had to do, and the battle was joined.

The demonic elf was tough, preternaturally so. Kellrons’ first blow failed to penetrate the creature’s hide and Jallarzi’s magic missile flowed off its scaly hide like water. The elf chuckled with amusement as he invoked another pair of magic missiles.

Then Ashimar got into position and taught the creature that distraction could be painful. As the elf roared in pain Kellron swung with all his might yelling Sarath’s name. The elf tried to get away at this point, trusting to luck to get away. Ashimar followed up with another attack at the distracted elf though and the distraction allowed Kellron to score a hit across the elf’s delicate neck, breaking it. The demonic elf fell to the ground, quite dead.

Seravin

Explorer
Apologies, but this isn't going to be a long post. I've started up at a new site with brand new responsibilites. Plus life itself is acting up and getting all interesting on me. Here's what I started to put together this week however. Hopefully I'll have more by Saturday.

Those who wait

Colors were everywhere. Over there was the thick, viscous, crimson streaming down the pile of putrid yellow sounds. Atonal symphonies clashed purple across acidic ice. Steaming guts flowed across grass green roots climbing up from the cracked, umber stones.

<click>. Klipklik blinked and brassy eyelids closed over sapphire eyes. The human was insane. Organic visions filled Master Laaris’ mind, drowning out Klipklik’s wise words. Klipklik considered but was unable to come to a solution. It had been three days and Laaris had not eaten nor drank. He was on the brink of death and only the spores had kept him alive this long. Klipklik was in the bedroom, two doors away but the handles on the doors, not to mention the weight, would be a problem.

<tik><tik><tik>. Precision made gears clicked and turned, and mechanical wings stretched out and fluttered with a sound not unlike tiny brass cymbals. It felt good but it didn’t help. For the tenth time Klipklik thought about contacting Laaris. For the first time he did not. There was no help there.

A high, ululating fluting sound filled the spacious bedroom. A druid might have recognized it for a good representation of the mating call of a hawk owl. A well-versed bard might have recognized it as the opening movement to a little known elvish ballad. Master Laaris would have recognized it immediately as the frustrated sigh from a twelve-inch long, brass construct shaped to look like a dragon, and animated by an elemental spirit. Klipklik had been closed in the bedroom in case the hakeashar had somehow gotten free. In retrospect that hadn’t been the best idea.

Last edited:

Schmoe

Adventurer
I just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying reading this story hour! I hope that you find time in your busy schedule to continue updating it, as I'm looking forward to hearing about your party's adventures in the Night Below.

Remove ads