• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Serenity RPG: Any Reviews yet?

Turhan

First Post
I haven't seen any reviews of the Serenity RPG. Lacking a review, I'd still be interested in hearing from anyone who has played the game or at least looked over the book.
thanks.

Michael Dean

Explorer
I picked it up at Gen Con but, unfortunately, I've been pretty busy at work and school to have much time to really break it down (Christmas break is coming!!). Looking through it is a real pleasure, however. It is a beautiful looking full color book. All of the main characters have been statted out, as well as some npcs you will remember from the series and movie. There are also floor plans of several space ships, including Serenity of course. And a glossary in the back with some chinese smack talk.

It looks to be a attribute + Skill check for combat rolls. The unique thing (at least to me), is that attributes are not a hard score, but a number of dice. For example, strength would be 1d8+1 for a very strong guy, iirc, and a weak person may only be 1d4. So instead of having a modifier to your roll, you would actually roll the number of dice for that attribute.

Both attributes and skills are rated by dice type, so to shoot a gun you might roll 1d8 (for your agility) + 1d6 (for your firearms skill), total the dice rolled and compare the result to a target number. It's somewhat reminiscent of the Alternity system, albeit simplified.

It's a good game and it works well for character-driven gaming in the Firefly/Serenity setting (or a homebrew setting not far removed from F/S's assumptions). It's not for gearheads or SF simulationists, it's a light narrative game akin to the Buffy RPG from Eden. If you're looking for something on the GURPS level of complexity or versimilitude... keep looking.

KoOS

1upus

First Post
We've run a quick one shot and it seems to work fairly well. The rules and character generation seems to capture the flavour of the tv series/movies well.

However, have to admit, the character generation is fairly open to number crunching. We had a player who designed a combat monster, with who pretty much would kill everything he came across but was totally useless elsewhere. GM control of that procedure would very much be warranted, specially in longer term campaigns.

About the only other gripe from most of the group is a lack of indexing of the rulebook, making things very very hard to find.

Did enjoy the game though, even with one player trying his hardest to make life hell for the others in the party.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads