• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Serenity Sequel possibility

Harmon

First Post
It has been pointed out to me that shows I like get canceled and shows I hate are on for years and years.

So with that in mind- FireFly sucks, and that movie Serenity- well theres like six hours I will never get back ever again!

Please someone buy this lie so we can see some decent SciFi again.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Harmon said:
It has been pointed out to me that shows I like get canceled and shows I hate are on for years and years.

So with that in mind- FireFly sucks, and that movie Serenity- well theres like six hours I will never get back ever again!

Please someone buy this lie so we can see some decent SciFi again.
Unfortunately this power comes from what lies in your heart, not the words spoken. I know because I have it as well.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I trust Joss to either do it right, or not do it at all. I'll be happy with whatever he decides.

Serenity was a good ending to a good series. I'd love more, but I'm fine with how things ended up.

Cheers, -- N

TwistedBishop

First Post
Meloncov said:
I found it odd how much that article talked about Serenity being "a massive flop" in the box office. It payed of production fees and made a small profit in theatres. Sure, its performance was disappointing, but it was far from a massive flop.

Labeling Serenity a flop has little to do with profits gained. Universal greenlit that film in hopes it would become their own Star Trek-esque film franchise. That's what it didn't live up to.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Nifft said:
Serenity was a good ending to a good series. I'd love more, but I'm fine with how things ended up.

Cheers, -- N
It was a good ending... but the series itself cried for much, much more. And while a good ending can be a final ending, I'm sure Joss can pull off a sequel, that's good sequel. I'm only hoping nobody tries a prequel! (I'm Star Wars/Enterprise-traumatized for ages)

Cheers, LT.

frankthedm

First Post
GoodKingJayIII said:
I love Firefly, but after the movie they need to just put the damn thing to bed. It's a great show, but we lost characters that were IMO crucial to the particular dynamic of the ensemble. A second movie or series or whatever would be missing something for me, and I'd rather they not churn another one out based on sales. A while back Joss said Firefly was never coming back, so hopefully he sticks to his guns and has enough control over the IP to prevent something like this.
This is my opinion on the matter as well. A BIG chunk of what made Firefly / Serenity good was that Joss knew the TV show was being canceled and he would have only the one movie. The plot was served tasty and fresh and in good sized portions because he had to rush it to the audience rather than serving small tidbits over a 3 to 4 season show. Once the movie started, he had to finish the story. This did mean a lot of folks had to die in a short time, but Joss managed to play his hand very well for the constraints he had.

Any continuation of the show will be tantamount to a necromancer calling up the putrescent corpse of a lost love. But it is no surprise Hollywood would try to suckle at the decomposing teat of a cash cow they themselves killed.

Capellan

Explorer
Ranger REG said:
Meh. Because the characters has been developed mostly in the small screen, you don't need to take up film-time to rehash them.

Yeah, because the 95% of your potential audience who never saw the series don't count. You wouldn't want them to actually like your movie, anyway.

Personally, I saw and liked the series before I saw the film, so I knew who all the characters were. But let's not forget that the show's actual audience was far, far smaller than the prospective audience for a major cinema release.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Capellan said:
Yeah, because the 95% of your potential audience who never saw the series don't count. You wouldn't want them to actually like your movie, anyway.

Personally, I saw and liked the series before I saw the film, so I knew who all the characters were. But let's not forget that the show's actual audience was far, far smaller than the prospective audience for a major cinema release.
Whereas 95% of your likely audience has.

Sorry, but I think it was aimed at the right audience, the one that knew what was going on - wasting an entire movie recapping the show would have doomed it more thoroughly, not less.

The Auld Grump

shilsen

Adventurer
TheAuldGrump said:
Whereas 95% of your likely audience has.

Sorry, but I think it was aimed at the right audience, the one that knew what was going on - wasting an entire movie recapping the show would have doomed it more thoroughly, not less.

The Auld Grump
Personally, as someone who'd never seen an episode of Firefly when I saw Serenity, I had absolutely no problems quickly working out what was going on. And the friends I've spoken to who saw it with the same tabula rasa had the same experience. Hell, I know people in India who have seen the movie and really liked it, and actually didn't know that it was a spin-off from a television show until I told them. So I'd say the supposed problem with a movie audience being confused if they hadn't seen the show is overexaggerated.

sckeener

First Post
I've felt 'meh' when it comes to TV shows ending and saying they will produce stuff straight to video/dvd....I might get it...I might not

For Firefly, I'd preorder!

Side note
I don't own the series on DVD yet (it's on my birthday/x-mas list since people have a hard time buying for me)...I've been greatly disappointed that I haven't received them despite being on my list for awhile....so what did I do...I put them on another list...I'm getting married next month...they are on my Registry List with Target. Wish me luck on getting them.

Sterling Keener

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads