• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Serious Fantasy Anime (European Style)

Anavel Gato

First Post
i started to watch weathered continent today the character designs reminded me of record of lodoss war
also the big, burly fighter has the same voice as the american dubbed Guts from berserk...
If i finish watching it I'll let you know if it should be considered...right now I am saying rent it...

Anavel Gato

First Post
i finished watching weathering continent. It was not really that good. There is maybe two sword fights that you only see the end result of. There is some magic used. ANd the story is why too open...it is only an hour and it leaves you waiting for another episode to begin (which i don't believe there are any more)...
overall, i would say it is not what your looking for unless you want to see a total Guts rip off in the Boise character.
I picked up Ys and it looks to be a lot like Lodoss war. So once I watch it which will probably be this week sometime I'll let you know how that was...

JoeGKushner

First Post
Thanks for the update.

The Weathered Continent was indeed the one I was thinking of buying as I've seen it in the stores several times but haven't picked it up.

Looking forward to hearing about your Ys comments.

On that note, someone once mentioned that there is an anime similiar to Escaflowne. While not real European, it had more in common with standard fantasy than say, Ninja Revenge or Devil Man. Anyone know what I'm thinking of?

WizarDru

Adventurer
There are a couple, and one I wish was available, but isn't.

The series in question has just started coming out on DVD, and that's Aura Battler Dunbine. It's from 1982, so don't expect the same expensive look as more recent anime. You may also be put off by some of the 'punnish' names, such as Shott Weapon. Names aside, it's not a comedy series, and gets fairly dark towards the end. Basically a fantasy land that's a parallel dimension to Earth, the residents of Byston Well have giant insect-like battlesuits powered by human auras (but only very powerful ones). It contains a mixture of high tech and low tech...such as the clydesdale-unicorns drawing giant carts with the giant robots weapons, for example. Story-wise, Escaflowne has a lot in common, with princes on the run, and that sort of thing.

Another series, with giant centaur and knight robots in a fantasy world was Panzer World Galient. There you had ancient robot technology being dug up and used by the medieval level societies, and then marching whole armies of the things against each other. Great stuff. Also from the early 80s.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
WizarDru said:
Aura Battler Dunbine. ... Byston Well...

And that reminds me of another fantasy anime: Garzey's Wing. Apparently, it is a prequel to ABD, in some way. It uses the same world name, at least. It's all three OAV's in one DVD, usually for a pretty decent price (around $19.95). I liked it a great deal, particularly how the modern-day hero interacts with the sword-and-bow using natives of Byston Well.

Tsyr

Explorer
Gyeh! I couldn't STAND Garzey's Wing... It reigns as one of the few anime I have ever actualy just stopped watching halfway through.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Thanks for the update on the two series.

I'll have to check out the first disk and see what I think of it.

Did Ragnarok ever get made into an anime? The Manga is pretty good so far.

Stormfalcon

First Post
JoeGKushner said:

Did Ragnarok ever get made into an anime? The Manga is pretty good so far.

Nope. There is a series currently being shown in Japan with Ragnarok in the title, but it has nothing to do with the manga or the MMORPG that it spawned. Just to warn you in case you run across it and get confused.

Anavel Gato

First Post
Ys, the story so far....

Well, its not bad...

The story, a prophesied "Brave Soul" comes to save a monster ridden land known as Esteria. It seems he must collect six books of the six priests to return Esteria to the former glory of Ys (yeeses). The animation is not bad, a little old, say late eighties early ninties feel. The menu simulates an old school nintendo RPG feel. It seems to move a bit slow and elements of the greater story are just dropped on you, but it is good. There is a lot of stuff you learn as Adol learns it which is I guess the way it shoulc be. It is definitly a mediveal, dark ages, feel. There are fighters, thieves, militia, wizards, seers, goblins, ents, and giant centipedes. I still have episode four to watch, but I like it and will definitely pick up Book 2 and Ys II--castle in heaven???

If you have any questions let me know...

Remove ads