• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Seriously, why no setting support?

Tony Vargas

Legend
I disagree that "you can play 5e in" a setting means that "5e has support" for doing so. In the case of Dark Sun, in particular, a very significant part of that campaign setting (psionics) is simply missing* from the ruleset of the game (for now).

Yes, there are ways to work around that gap. But the user having to work around something isn't them being supported.

* In case of pedantry: psionics above 10th level.
The key words being 'for now,' there's nothing about 5e that makes psionics (or anything much else - even the Warlord!) a non-starter.

5e can already be adapted to any setting with varying degrees of game-design effort, but, sure, it'd be nice to have some of that effort come from professional game designers in a hard-bound package with some decent art and a largely superfluous (but still critical in some contexts) aura of officialdom about it.

Sometimes I think 90% of fans whining on the internet is just insecurity. We want to know we haven't been forgotten, or there's some a need for validation or whatever. We've seen it constantly in the WotC era, particularly, it seems. 3e was attacked for not being exactly what 2e was, 3.5 for selling the same books again, open edition warfare broke out against 4e, even some 4vengers turned on Essentials, and 5e, conciliatory and inclusive as it's tried to be (and succeeded, and has potential to continue becoming more inclusive), still gets critics complaining that it hasn't gotten to including them, yet, or worse, complaining that too many have already been included and wanting to slam the door.

I can't really complain about the negativity around here, not in contrast to the negativity of the edition war, but in contrast to the ideal of polite discussion of a hobby by enthusiasts...

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It does sound good, I agree. But what's the likelihood that is the sort of book that will be put out? Would such a book have the mass appeal that their other releases have had? If not, then from a business standpoint, they'd be better off releasing another adventure book.

The likelihood seems quite high at the moment; they are putting out some sort of big product, filled with options that could easily fit both roles of setting-specific crunch, and home brewers smorgasbord of crunch at the same time; and the options they have tested so far do point in that direction.

In my opinion, the answer comes down to this...

If you want to play 5E in a particular setting bad enough... you'll put in the work to do so. Just like if you want to be a Dungeon Master at all at a level you yourself are comfortable with and proud of... you'll put in the work to do so.
Plus, if you put in the work, write that content, and that setting is opened up on the DMsGuild (and I'm surprised they haven't done another world already) then you're in a position to put that document up for sale.
Even if it takes a few years, you have the content and can play games in your setting in the meantime (and have more opportunities to playtest).

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Plus, if you put in the work, write that content, and that setting is opened up on the DMsGuild (and I'm surprised they haven't done another world already) then you're in a position to put that document up for sale.

That is definitely a bonus, although I don't even think most DMs even consider that when they decide whether or not to put in the work to prep and run a campaign. I know I never do. I do all this work, and it's only after the fact that I think "Oh, I could theoretically write this up officially, couldn't I?". LOL! :)

Corpsetaker

First Post
Even if it takes a few years, you have the content and can play games in your setting in the meantime (and have more opportunities to playtest).

No thanks.

I don't get paid enough to do Wizard's work for them. Plus I wouldn't keep the rights.

Dkamanus

First Post
The simplest way to please everyone is to make a "Big Book of Settings", Volo's Style, with 2~3 settings present in the book, basically the most important information you have on them, adding extra races, classes, feats, etc.

If they keep this 3 books a year thing, then this is something they might do.

hawkeyefan

Legend
The likelihood seems quite high at the moment; they are putting out some sort of big product, filled with options that could easily fit both roles of setting-specific crunch, and home brewers smorgasbord of crunch at the same time; and the options they have tested so far do point in that direction.

I hope you're right, but I'm not as optimistic as you. I'm expecting the mechanical expansion to be bundled with an adventure or more Realms lore, along the lines of Volo's Guide. I think the comments about supporting the old settings are genuine, but I think it's just a low priority for them. Something more likely another year or two further along their publishing schedule.

Psionics and subclasses are all I think we should expect. I think that idea of more races seems unlikely given we just got a race book and they could have been included there. I think expecting races and other setting specific options is a bit of a leap, although by no means an impossibility.

Honestly, I hope I'm wrong and what we get is almost exactly what you've described. We'll see.

Dkamanus

First Post
I hope you're right, but I'm not as optimistic as you. I'm expecting the mechanical expansion to be bundled with an adventure or more Realms lore, along the lines of Volo's Guide. I think the comments about supporting the old settings are genuine, but I think it's just a low priority for them. Something more likely another year or two further along their publishing schedule.

Psionics and subclasses are all I think we should expect. I think that idea of more races seems unlikely given we just got a race book and they could have been included there. I think expecting races and other setting specific options is a bit of a leap, although by no means an impossibility.

Honestly, I hope I'm wrong and what we get is almost exactly what you've described. We'll see.

Considering what you said, I DO hope that they add new mechanics, not just new subclasses and races again. SCAG already had those, and while I like the Sword Coast and Faerun informations, I want some new mechanics on the book. This new big crunch book would be better for all if it wasn't attached to an adventure. Besides, adventures are good enough for introducing races (EE Companion), they could do the same for classes and subclasses.

Remove ads