• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Serpent Eye enchanters?

TPK

First Post
Factoid #1:
"Serpent Eye cabalists use orbs to focus powers of enchantment, beguiling, and ensnaring. "

Factoid #2:
"It is stated, as an example, that there will be a Psi power source later on for psionics. Given this, the mind-affecting spells of wizards and clerics will be toned down or removed so that psions will have their own flavor."

Huh?

Kintara

First Post
So I would assume that means that they were talking individually. As in, some will be toned down, some will be removed, and that can even imply some remain largely unchanged. There are a lot of mind-affecting abilities in D&D. Also, the magic categories might have undergone some changes since R&C and earlier Dev articles.

Personally, I suspect Wizards will have some Enchantment-like powers, but not a lot.

Here's my guess:

Arcane/Divine Magic:
More Charm Person, Dazzle, Disguise Self, Glibness, Sympathy, Zone of Truth

Psions:
That + Domination, Detect Thoughts, Modify Memory, Suggestion and so on

TPK

First Post
Well, it just strikes me as odd that they will be devoting one tradition out of six to something that wizards are supposed to suck at. I mean, if I'm playing a Serpent Eye guy/gal, how massively silly will I feel in a little while when psions join the festivities?

That bit about the psionic power source and mind tricks was out of R&C, current as of august, whereas the revised implement article with the traditions was posted in sept. So could it be that the nerfing of mind magic is no longer on the table?

TPK said:
Well, it just strikes me as odd that they will be devoting one tradition out of six to something that wizards are supposed to suck at. I mean, if I'm playing a Serpent Eye guy/gal, how massively silly will I feel in a little while when psions join the festivities?

That bit about the psionic power source and mind tricks was out of R&C, current as of august, whereas the revised implement article with the traditions was posted in sept. So could it be that the nerfing of mind magic is no longer on the table?
Nobody said they're supposed to "suck at it" except you, they just said they were making sure there was room to expand it, Wizards aren't based around protection or fire/light spells either, there's still a tradition for those things.

TPK

First Post
Erm.

"...the mind-affecting spells of wizards and clerics will be toned down or removed..."

Sure sounds like someone else saying what amounts to that.

Fire & radiance or thunder & force on the other hand, can very well be construed as variations on "making things go boom", the very thing that is supposed to be the wizard's schtick.

IMHO.

TPK said:
Erm.

"...the mind-affecting spells of wizards and clerics will be toned down or removed..."

Sure sounds like someone else saying what amounts to that.

Fire & radiance or thunder & force on the other hand, can very well be construed as variations on "making things go boom", the very thing that is supposed to be the wizard's schtick.

IMHO.

"Toned down" will likely part of the removal of "save or die" (since in combat, dominate is better than save or die), and doesn't preclude abilities like command, glibness(probably toned down) or sleep (which we know they still have) which "enchants or beguiles" while still leaving room open for full on brain stealing psions, and "ensare" could well mean more physical ensnarement, like web or solid fog (since none of the other traditions seem to have anything to do with that).

I mean, "Wizards have fewer, and less far reaching mind affecting spells than before" does not it any way preclude "Wizards have a tradition which includes mind affecting spells", you're doing the perfectly human thing of making a mountain out of a molehill, because Wizards hasn't shown us the landscape yet, and you're grabbing onto the small parts we have seen.

Zamkaizer

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
Here's my guess:

Arcane/Divine Magic:
More Charm Person, Dazzle, Disguise Self, Glibness, Sympathy, Zone of Truth

Psions:
That + Domination, Detect Thoughts, Modify Memory, Suggestion and so on

I like this potential division - the arcane abilities are more flashy and tricky, and the psionic abilities are more sinister and subtle.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
TPK said:
Well, it just strikes me as odd that they will be devoting one tradition out of six to something that wizards are supposed to suck at.

Yes, but they're much better at it than fighters.

Rechan

Adventurer
According to R&C, Under Bard:
With the skill to fool enemies with illusionary magic and to influence them with emntal trickery, a bard can make his foes work against themselves.
And under enchantment in the "Are schools dead?"
Enchantment is still around, but expect future classes to emphasize it more than the classes in the First PHB.
The above were emphasized by me.

I don't think Psions are the only ones who get enchantment tricks.

And given that the emphasis for Bards was on being sages and loremasters and creative types, it sounds to me like they're social wizards. So just playing a bard, and calling yourself an Enchanter or Illusionist isn't really that hard.

Last edited:

Remove ads