• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Servant of Time (Epic Prestige Class)

Crothian

First Post
Servant of Time

Of all the gods there is one of time, Talamar. As gods go he’s an odd sort. He was a mortal that was given the mantle of godhood against his wishes. He does not look for or require worshipers. He has but one temple, built to honor his sacrifice. It is built at the site of his grave for Talamar died in the beginning of time in the first war of the gods. However, he has not done that yet.

Coincidence, happenstance, twists of fates; all of these are the powers of Talamar. He does not do things in ways that people attribute to the workings of the gods. He does small things that no one realizes. He is working for a goal, but none can fathom what it could be.

Time exists for one purpose, so everything does not happen all at once. He can see into the past and into the future. He can travel to them as easy as normal people can walk across a room. But the future is ever changing. The greatest gift of the gods, the power of free will, is Talamar’s greatest enemy. He does not make choices for people, he sets things up so that the proper choice can be selected, but mortals are finicky races. So, he goes on trying to bring the world to some goal or event.

It is a rare thing for Talamar to ask for help. Well, that is not actually true. Talamar has people working for him all the time; it is just that they never know it. It is a rare thing for Talamar to recruit someone to help him with their knowledge. In fact it has never happened that anyone knows of. But with all that he does, and with so few beings and gods ever becoming aware of his work it is thought that he must have certain people working for him. And these people must be truly talented to do his work and never gain any recognition for it. In fact, its highly doubtful that they would understand what they are working for. Talamar sees things differently then any other being, and it it through his unique vision that he works.

Servant of Talamar (SoT)

Requirements:
Bluff: 20 ranks
Diplomancy: 25 ranks
Gather Info: 20 ranks
Knowledge History: 25 ranks
Any 2 other knowledges: 15 ranks

Improved Initiative feat
Polyglot epic feat

HD: d8
Skill points: 2+ Int
Class Skills: All

Initiative Bonus: The character adds his level of SoT to all initiative checks. At tenth level the character no longer rolls initiative, he may choose when to go each round.

I was Never Here: At first level the character can make people forget he was ever there. Memory of him fades over a period of time equal to when he was there. So, if a SoT was in a town for a week, it would take a week for people to forget about him. They would remember the things he did and at best just recall a stranger, but have no idea on race, sex, or visual descriptions. Anyone wishing to divine (use divination spells) must succeed on a caster check DC 40 to have any chance of success. The character can turn the ability on and off at will. Anyone that is affected by the ability more then twice gets a will save DC 10+Sot level+ Cha modifier. They get a +1 circumstance bonus per previously failed saving throw. They get a +3 circumstance bonus per successful saving throw. These stack with each other.

Outside the flow: The character exists partially outside the regular flow of time, as a result they no longer age. They continue to gain bonuses from aging, but not the penalties. They do not die of old age when their time is up. They are also immune to any attacks which would age them. This is gained at first level.

At second level and every even level the character can cast Haste or Slow 2/day as a 20th level caster.

At every 3 level the character can choose one of the following:

One of Three Roads: By looking a few second into the future down multiple paths, the character can choose which will be more successful. The character can roll 3 d20s for an attack, saving throw, skill check, or attribute check and take the best result. Each time selected the character can do it once more per day.

See what's coming: The character sees what happens in a round and then can react first in the round with full knowledge of what happens. Basically, we play out the round and then back pedal to allow the character to react beforehand knowing full well what will happen. The character can use this one time per day each time it is selected.

Personal Teleport: The character gains the spell like ability to teleport without error once a day per time selected.

Timestop: The character can cast time stop as a spell like ability. He may do it once per day per time selected.

Pierce the Veil - The Servant is able to penetrate the Mind Blank (or any high level blocking spells) of any one individual such that they can use Divination spells (but not Compulsion/Mind-Effecting) on them. The character can do this once a day per time selected.

The character will also get an Epic feat every 5th level.

Last edited:

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
What's the simple stuff, like number of skill points and hit dice?

Would you also consider giving him Time Stop as a 1/day spell like ability? Haste would also seem to be quite appropriate as an at will spell like, for more obvious reasons.

I like the idea of a Divine Servant that doesn't require Divine Spellcasting. You've weighted the prereqs in favour of rogues or bards, which is also interesting.

Crothian

First Post
d8 HD, SP: 2 + Int, Class skills: All

Haste is a good one and Time Stop is an another good one.

I never thought one needed to be a Cleric or Paladin to be a devote worshiperer. Talamar emphasises knowledge and not reliving past mistakes.

Malcolm

First Post
Hey Oozey :p

Ok, some questions for ya:

1.) Is Talamar about Time/Knowledge and "Not" reliving past mistakes (ie Forethought/wisdom); or about Time/Knowledge and not "reliving" past mistakes (ie guilt, penance, atonement)? I don't understand the last sentence, please clarify. I think I know what ya mean, but...

2.) Is Talamar a Boccobian sort of diety who directs his followers and expects them to simply "go with the flow" or a Wee Jas diety who says "Emergency in the time-continum! Use Teleport now!"

3.) Does Talamar really need followers at all? How is one "called" to service? Is it a thirst for knowledge or a need for being part of something larger?

Ok suggestions :) :

You mentioned that Talamar does small things quietly in the background that have larger effects.
How about a class ability:
"I was Never Here" - works like the the Bardic spell to redo memory but in this case those who witness the Servant do something related to Talamar's wishes will start forgetting the Servant did anything at all. Base it on time spent doing the quest; so if a Servant needs some folks to help him with something major and it takes 8days to do, after 8 days they will have forgotten the Servant was involved and think they did it alone.
Or perhaps they will remember that he was a local sage who said something that was "really helpful information"?

Here's an idea I like:
"Pierce the Veil" - once per day the Servant is able to penetrate the Mind Blank (or any high level blocking spells) of any one individual such that they can use Divination spells (but not Compulsion/Mind-Effecting) on them. This might have been done in one of Monte's BoEM or in another of the books out there, nutz I don't have them on me right now. I doubt I'm making this one up though I can't recall a source just now, but if I am oh well.

There are a couple of spells in RR & RR2 which mimic the "See What's Coming" ability and might give some direction. Also both books have some "luck" spells that might reflect the "One of Three Roads" without making the ability too powerful (as it stand now its really pretty :eek:

Crothian

First Post
Malcolm said:
1.) Is Talamar about Time/Knowledge and "Not" reliving past mistakes (ie Forethought/wisdom); or about Time/Knowledge and not "reliving" past mistakes (ie guilt, penance, atonement)? I don't understand the last sentence, please clarify. I think I know what ya mean, but...

Forethought Wisdom, basically about learning from the past: "Those who do not know the mistakes of the past are doomed to repeat them".

2.) Is Talamar a Boccobian sort of diety who directs his followers and expects them to simply "go with the flow" or a Wee Jas diety who says "Emergency in the time-continum! Use Teleport now!"

Go with the flow type god. He gives suggestions of small things to do, and the people who do his work rarely know why or what the outcome of it is. Talamar sees the big picture and knows that a small effect here and there can alter it drastically.

3.) Does Talamar really need followers at all? How is one "called" to service? Is it a thirst for knowledge or a need for being part of something larger?

He doesn't need them, that's why he has so few. Basically one will be called by at first doing very little things for him. They might not even know they are working for him at first or ever. A very few who gain an insight into what they are doing and can reason out the longer term effects will be given greater tasks and as they do them he will have more contact with them and see if they want to become more involved with him ie take the prestige class.

Ok suggestions :) :

You mentioned that Talamar does small things quietly in the background that have larger effects.
How about a class ability:
"I was Never Here" - works like the the Bardic spell to redo memory but in this case those who witness the Servant do something related to Talamar's wishes will start forgetting the Servant did anything at all. Base it on time spent doing the quest; so if a Servant needs some folks to help him with something major and it takes 8days to do, after 8 days they will have forgotten the Servant was involved and think they did it alone.
Or perhaps they will remember that he was a local sage who said something that was "really helpful information"?

Here's an idea I like:
"Pierce the Veil" - once per day the Servant is able to penetrate the Mind Blank (or any high level blocking spells) of any one individual such that they can use Divination spells (but not Compulsion/Mind-Effecting) on them. This might have been done in one of Monte's BoEM or in another of the books out there, nutz I don't have them on me right now. I doubt I'm making this one up though I can't recall a source just now, but if I am oh well.

There are a couple of spells in RR & RR2 which mimic the "See What's Coming" ability and might give some direction. Also both books have some "luck" spells that might reflect the "One of Three Roads" without making the ability too powerful (as it stand now its really pretty :eek:

I do like the "I was never here". I'm trying to come up with ideas that don't just simulate spells, I'd like there to be some unique abilities. I like the pierce the veil, but the servant may not nessiciarily have divination type spells. I am thinking though of trying to come up with a bunch of abilities and allow the ccharacter to choose what they get.

One of three roads is powerful, but it still depends on the dice. I just grabbed 2 d20 and rolled a 1, 7, and 9!! Of course the next roll had a 20 in the batch.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Crothian said:
One of three roads is powerful, but it still depends on the dice. I just grabbed 2 d20 and rolled a 1, 7, and 9!! Of course the next roll had a 20 in the batch.

On average, it adds about +5 to the d20 roll. The distribution:

1 0.0%
2 0.1%
3 0.2%
4 0.5%
5 0.8%
6 1.1%
7 1.6%
8 2.1%
9 2.7%
10 3.4%
11 4.1%