• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Servant of Time (Epic Prestige Class)

Malcolm

First Post
Looking good.
Glad my suggestions where helpful.
As it stands now it offers things to both casters and non-casters which is nice.
I like this class. ok, more stuff..

Questions:
1.) Does it raise caster levels or not? Mainly I ask this for the semi-casters (Paladin, Ranger, Hexblade, etc.) who need the levels for duration effects, etc.
For Casters: Abilities are great but Caster Level is needed to keep up with Epic SRs. Unless you have a home brew form of dealing with it.

2.) Any hint of "side effects" developing from taking levels of this class and having levels of other prestige classes that are divinely mandated?
Examples: Contemplative, Divine Oracle, etc.

Big Questions:
1.) Does Talamar have an opposing god or Force that acts against him? (sometimes Time is vs. Space, sometimes just alignment clashes, etc.) Do his Servants seek to fix things, break things, balance things?

2.) If you don't use Alignments this one is N/A: Is Talamar purely neutral? If so and since the SoT aren't restricted to clerics (and don't have to share an alignment with their diety) how are you going to present the different alignments (mainly Evil vs Good) working together? Again, related to #1.

3.) Finally: How are you going to keep Talamar from being an Omniscient-All diety (from the angle that Omniscience = Omnipotence) and thus not really needing anyone to work for him. Or simply put: Why does he endow folks with gifts and send them on quests if he can solve them in a blink of an eye.
This may be related to #1.

:)

Crothian

First Post
Malcolm said:
Questions:
1.) Does it raise caster levels or not? Mainly I ask this for the semi-casters (Paladin, Ranger, Hexblade, etc.) who need the levels for duration effects, etc.
For Casters: Abilities are great but Caster Level is needed to keep up with Epic SRs. Unless you have a home brew form of dealing with it.

No, it does not increase caster level. Although I can add "Increase Caster Level by 1" as an option of the choices.

2.) Any hint of "side effects" developing from taking levels of this class and having levels of other prestige classes that are divinely mandated?
Examples: Contemplative, Divine Oracle, etc.

This would be a role playing thing. It would depend on who the other classes were mandated from.

Big Questions:
1.) Does Talamar have an opposing god or Force that acts against him? (sometimes Time is vs. Space, sometimes just alignment clashes, etc.) Do his Servants seek to fix things, break things, balance things?

Fix, break, and balance. It would really depend on what needed done. In my Panthion there are 13 greater gods. Talamar is not one of them. The 13 are more like forces of nature, very inhiuman and 12 seemed to be of all alingments. The thirteen is pure evil. The big difference between him and thew other 12 is they created creatures with free will. The 13th god, all his creations do not have free will and serve him. Talamar is a demi god and does work against the 13th god. In the very far past Talamar dies protecting the world from the 13th god. However, it hasn't happened yet meaning at some point in the future Talamar goes back in time and sacrifices himself.

2.) If you don't use Alignments this one is N/A: Is Talamar purely neutral? If so and since the SoT aren't restricted to clerics (and don't have to share an alignment with their diety) how are you going to present the different alignments (mainly Evil vs Good) working together? Again, related to #1.

Talamar is pretty much Neutral. I don't expect the gods to behave strictly to one alignment any more then a mortal creature. Gods are fallible, just don't tell their followers that. So, yes there can be a LG SoT working with a LE SoT. I doubt a CE character would be accepted. I think it would be a great role playing experince to see them try to work together. They may bicker and fight among themselves, and probably do.

3.) Finally: How are you going to keep Talamar from being an Omniscient-All diety (from the angle that Omniscience = Omnipotence) and thus not really needing anyone to work for him. Or simply put: Why does he endow folks with gifts and send them on quests if he can solve them in a blink of an eye.
This may be related to #1.

He's not, none of my gods are omniscient. He knows a lot, he knows a heck of a lot, but doesn't know everything as it happens.

Talamar doesn't want to be a god. At some point in time, no one knows when and he's not telling, he was given the responisibilities of the gofd of time. He knows it will cost him his life, and he's only temple is actually at his grave site. But he has a sense of responsibility. There have been very few SoT becasue he can do most of the things by himself. But sometimes a god would be noticed and attract attention where a mortal creature wouldn't. Talamar is very human, he has termendious power, but of all the gods he is the most human. He makes friends with none divine beings, actually he perfers hanging around commoners and the like. So, if he can get someone to take a bit of his responisibilty so he can sit on the front porch of a trading post and smoke, he'll do that.

Malcolm

First Post
and he's only temple is actually at his grave site.

that is actually freakishly :cool:

I really like that concept. Oh! Don't let the players/PCs know until the end of a campaign sequence.
The stunned silence would make for a great part in a SHour.

unless i've gone and spoiled it by getting you to say it here. :eek: :(

Chosen01

First Post
Prophecy: The character may enter into a trance once per day in order to receive visions from the gods. The trance has a duration of 1d12 × 10 minutes during which the character is totally unaware of what may happen around him. In fact, the character cannot be disturbed, and thus becomes helpless if attacked. The duration of the vision is independent from the duration of the trance, as the character is really in another state of consciousness. This vision is usually in cryptic form, somewhat resembling a dream full of symbols, that the character will have to interpret on his own, with a potential for misinterpretation.
This should be seen as a GM tool rather than a player's ability. The God/GM sends visions to the character as he sees fit, not because the character request them. As such, the character may enter into the trance and gain no vision at all. Furthermore, in case of very important visions, he may get the same vision several times. As such, each related vision would emphasize on one aspect or another of the original vision, and answer in some way the questions that the character may have about it. Lastly, note that a wise GM will describe, preferably in a cryptic manner, not the outcomes of events, but only the general circumstances of future events whose outcome is not yet determined.

Temporal Scrying: The character can see and hear some creature, which may be at any distance and may be in the past or future. The difficulty depends on how far away in time the vision is, how familiar the caster is with the given subject in the given time, and what sort of physical connection the caster has to the creature. Note that unlike a normal Scry spell, this does not allow any magic to be cast through the scrying.
The base DC to scry successfully is 20, subject to the following (cumulative) modifiers.
·Looking into the future +5
·1+ year in the past/future +1
·10+ years in the past/future +1
·100+ years in the past/future +1
·1000+ years in the past/future +1
·Caster met subject -1
·Has been within 1 month of target time -2
·Caster knows subject well -1
·Has a likeness or picture of subject -1
·Has a possession of subject -2
·Has a body part of subject -3

Source: Netbook of Time

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Crothian said:
Servant of Talamar (SoT)

Requirements:
Bluff: 20 ranks
Diplomancy: 25 ranks
Gather Info: 20 ranks
Knowledge History: 25 ranks
Any 2 other knowledges: 15 ranks

I'm curious about the skill requirements?

Without some house rules for skills it might need a fairly strange class mix/very high level to reach?

Crothian

First Post
Inconsequenti-AL said:
I'm curious about the skill requirements?

Without some house rules for skills it might need a fairly strange class mix/very high level to reach?

It's designed for epic level which is over 20th level and I went with the best rerequirements for the calss, I really am not worrying about how easy it is for the different classes to get.

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Crothian said:
It's designed for epic level which is over 20th level and I went with the best rerequirements for the calss, I really am not worrying about how easy it is for the different classes to get.

Fair enough.

I really like the idea - think the light touch on history is an interesting concept and would make for a great introduction to an epic campaign.

Out of curiosity - what sort of goals does Talamar tend to persue - are they benign? Unpleasant? Balanced? Inscrutable?

Anyway an ability:

Talamar is the god of time and does not have many servants. He likes to keep the ones he has around...

Outside the flow.
The character exists partially outside the regular flow of time, as a result they no longer age. They continue to acrue bonus from aging, but not the penalties. They do not die of old age when their time is up. They are also immune to any attacks which would age them.

Crothian

First Post
Inconsequenti-AL said:
I really like the idea - think the light touch on history is an interesting concept and would make for a great introduction to an epic campaign.

Out of curiosity - what sort of goals does Talamar tend to persue - are they benign? Unpleasant? Balanced? Inscrutable?

His own. No one really understand what Talamar does or all the things he may or may not be responsible for. He does seem to help the world in small ways. For instance in last nights game one of the party members was visited by him. He asked that they travel to the south and give someone a ride on their ship across the sea. The person that they gave the ride to had no idea why Talamar requested this and was very shaken by the idea that a god requested someone giver him a ride. But they dropped him off and both went on their merry way. It's small stuff that usually needs done for the big stuff to happen.

Outside the flow.
The character exists partially outside the regular flow of time, as a result they no longer age. They continue to acrue bonus from aging, but not the penalties. They do not die of old age when their time is up. They are also immune to any attacks which would age them.

Consider that used. :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads