• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Setting Building

Superj3nius

First Post
I have DMed a bit in the past, but I definitely have a lot to learn. I was thinking on starting a low magic campaign and include more technology, gunpowder based. Nothing too crazy but I was wondering what the general setting would include? I have never played with gun power in a game, nor what it would do to a setting. I know this is HUGE question that can't just be summed up but if any one could help me out, that'd be awesome! Thanks

kitcik

Adventurer
Read "The Guardian of the Flames" series by Joel Rosenberg. I think the third book is where gunpowder is introduced into a D&D like setting with quite an impact. This is how I view what would happen.

However, there are D20 rules for gunpowder which are at least somewhat playable.

Last edited:

Niccodaemus

First Post
Since it is a fantasy setting, you can make it have whatever impact you want.

You can make "bombs" like Saruman did in the Two Towers for the Battle of Helms Deep. Guns could pierce armor, making Plate Mail a liability.

Or...

You could just make it a variety of magic, mechanically speaking. A "grenade" could work like a fireball. Making such items could be very difficult, the process only allowing for 1 per day, and the gunpowder only being stable for 24 hours before it either blows up or becomes dormant.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads